Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Siamese Flying Fox and Goldfish combo?

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried a Siamese Flying Fox and Goldfish combination?

I have heard the Siamese Flying Fox are really very good for algae consumption, and generally peaceful fish.  They grow to about 12cm, so would not be a snack for larger fish.  They are tropical fish, but would suit the higher temp range goldfish are suited for, I think (but not 100%).  They also appear to suit the same ph range as the goldfish.

This is where I got my info from:

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/siamese-flying-fox.html

Is this a really bad idea? or does anyone have any experience with these fish or this combination of fish?

Thanks so much!

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has tried a Siamese Flying Fox and Goldfish combination?

I have heard the Siamese Flying Fox are really very good for algae consumption, and generally peaceful fish.  They grow to about 12cm, so would not be a snack for larger fish.  They are tropical fish, but would suit the higher temp range goldfish are suited for, I think (but not 100%).  They also appear to suit the same ph range as the goldfish.

Is this a really bad idea? or does anyone have any experience with these fish or this combination of fish?

Thanks so much!

I would probably go with a Bristlenose Pleco or Nerite Snails instead.  If you do get a SFF, make sure not to get another closely related species by accident as this is a common mistake.

Goldfish are best with goldfish.

And snails..... as long as they don't eat them.

And plants..... as long as they don't eat them.

And...... never mind they would probably eat them too. :rofl

Goldfisg have a thick slime coat and a lot of algae eaters have been known to suck on our goldies because they make a yummy slimy snack :o

That's why it's suggested to keep GF with gf :)

But many have had success keeping goldies with bristle nose plecos ands nerite snails :goodluck

Edited by Flipper

Hi,

Thanks so much!

I would probably go with a Bristlenose Pleco or Nerite Snails instead.  If you do get a SFF, make sure not to get another closely related species by accident as this is a common mistake.

That's true Jared,  I noticed there was a Flying Fox fish on the same website, and it looked nearly identical, but it was aggressive, and didn't eat algae.  That could be a very big mistake!

:goodpost

Thanks for that Sharon and Chelsea,  I had thought as much, but just had not heard of the Siamese Flying Fox/Goldfish combo before.  :D

And snails..... as long as they don't eat them.

And plants..... as long as they don't eat them.

And...... never mind they would probably eat them too. :rofl

LOL Daniel  The comets I have in the tank at the moment would like to eat me too if I would let them!  All I can say is I am glad they are only so big, and I'm not a 1000 times smaller! :feedme

Goldfisg have a thick slime coat and a lot of algae eaters have been known to suck on our goldies because they make a yummy slimy snack :o

That's why it's suggested to keep GF with gf :)

But many have had success keeping goldies with bristle nose plecos ands nerite snails :goodluck

Hi Flipper, thanks so much for explaining that.  I don't want any of my fish ending up a snack! 

I have a Chinese algae eater in with mine and they are okay, it just depends on the individual fish but I have another tank to put him in if he gets aggressive. Have a back up plan. But I do think goldfish are best suited just as a goldfish tank, I got away with the algae eater because they grew up together.

I have a Chinese algae eater in with mine and they are okay, it just depends on the individual fish but I have another tank to put him in if he gets aggressive. Have a back up plan. But I do think goldfish are best suited just as a goldfish tank, I got away with the algae eater because they grew up together.

Ok Courtney, thanks for that.  I might not risk it.  I don't have another tank to use as a backup plan so ill just skip it I think and stick to the goldies and the snails.  Thanks for taking the time to let me know though!

Yes I got lucky with them growing up together they are fine but I still have a back up tank, I've had him forever. No aggression at all, some will some won't but you will see them try to stick to the sides of the goldfish, same with plecos and some fish, they suck the slime coat off.

I have female albino bristlenose plecos in both of my goldfish tanks.  They help immensely with the algae.  I rarely have to clean the glass, wood, rocks or plants.  They stay small and get along well with my goldfish.  I also enjoy the different personality that they bring to the tank.  Mine aren't shy and frequently come out during the day time.  They will come right to me when I put a piece of Zucchini in the tank for them :)

I've got a female albino BN pleco in my tank and she was shy for a long time. But now she seems very comfortable and is finally cleaning the tank really well!!

I also have two nerite snails in my other tank. They don't do nearly as well on the algae as the pleco but they make a good dent all the same! :)

I have female albino bristlenose plecos in both of my goldfish tanks.  They help immensely with the algae.  I rarely have to clean the glass, wood, rocks or plants.  They stay small and get along well with my goldfish.  I also enjoy the different personality that they bring to the tank.  Mine aren't shy and frequently come out during the day time.  They will come right to me when I put a piece of Zucchini in the tank for them :)

They sound cute Jared!  How often do you need to feed them?  What else do you feed them other than zucchini?

I've got a female albino BN pleco in my tank and she was shy for a long time. But now she seems very comfortable and is finally cleaning the tank really well!!

I also have two nerite snails in my other tank. They don't do nearly as well on the algae as the pleco but they make a good dent all the same! :)

Hi Mernany! How long did she take to settle in? 

Yes I got lucky with them growing up together they are fine but I still have a back up tank, I've had him forever. No aggression at all, some will some won't but you will see them try to stick to the sides of the goldfish, same with plecos and some fish, they suck the slime coat off.

Ow!  Poor fish! :r030:

They sound cute Jared!  How often do you need to feed them?  What else do you feed them other than zucchini?

I only feed them zucchini 2 or 3 times a week.  They eat tank algae and some of the pellets and bloodworms that escape the Goldfish :)