Ich outbreak in main tank whilst doing prazi treatment

lillypetal

Need help again ????

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 40 (nitrates in tap water are 40 also)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines 7.4

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api drops

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 160litres recently upgraded from 90litres which was established for around 2 years

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua internal 400

* How often do you change the water and how much? At least twice weekly dependant on water results and clarity - at least one 80% water change per week.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Changed 50% yesterday and 50% today

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Three fish, two large orandas and my recent join a medium oranda. Third oranda babs has been in qt for 2 weeks and joined the main tank on Wednesday. In qt did two round of prazi pro with 0.1% salt.

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Feed hikari oranda and lionhead twice daily

Once weekly peas and lettuce

Once every few weeks prawns, salmon and boiled egg whites

* Any medications added to the tank?

Started prazi treatment in main tank (haven't done a treatment in over a year) yesterday. Salted tank at 0.1%.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Babs my new fish didn't have any white spots on her that I could see in quarantine but my qt tank isn't the best for visibility. Yesterday I noticed a white spot on her on her gill plate and didn't think much of it. Today after the water change I noticed she has about six white spots on her gill plate, so does my fish Emily now and Maxine's tail is absolutely covered in white spots. I've never had ich in my tank before and it's really distressing to see how quickly it can develop.

Apart from that Barbara has a slightly frayed anal fin but apart from that looks healthy. Maxine and Emily look healthy otherwise.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Yesterday before I started prazi treatment Barbara was bottom sitting now and then. That's when I decided to do a 50% water change, I gave Barbara a 3% salt dip and then decided to salt my main tank at 0.1% and start a round of prazi pro treatment. Now I have noticed how bad this outbreak of ich is and I don't know how to go about treatment. Should I stop prazi treatment and start this as a priority? Should I do a 100% water change to get rid of the prazi? I live in the uk so my access to medicine isn't the best, I currently have in my kit prazipro, melafix, general tonic, seachem metronidazole and kanaplex, api aquarium salt and Epsom salt. I do not have a heater in my tank but if it's necessary for treatment I can buy it tomorrow. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

For ich treatment, you'll want to bring the salt up to 0.3% and raise the heat to 78-82* F.  Leave the salt in for about 10 days AFTER the last spot of ich is seen.  You can continue with the prazi if you'd like.  If you do so, be sure to double dose the prazi.  :D

Thank you so much for your reply! Will add in the salt to get it to 0.3% tonight and double the prazi at the same time. I don't have to do this gradually right, is it okay if I do it right now even tho the tanks only been at 0.1% for just over 24 hours? I will buy a heater to slowly raise the temp up tomorrow morning. Can I continue with daily 50% water changes at the moment and just replace the salt and prazi I remove?

Also are an specific ich treatments helpful or shall I stick to the salt and heat?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much.

Thank you so much for your reply! Will add in the salt to get it to 0.3% tonight and double the prazi at the same time. I don't have to do this gradually right, is it okay if I do it right now even tho the tanks only been at 0.1% for just over 24 hours? I will buy a heater to slowly raise the temp up tomorrow morning. Can I continue with daily 50% water changes at the moment and just replace the salt and prazi I remove?

Also are an specific ich treatments helpful or shall I stick to the salt and heat?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much.

You can go right from 0.1% to 0.3% salt.

Why do you need to do daily 50% water changes?  Isn't the tank cycled?

Salt and heat is best for Ich  :)

It is cycled but they are pooing a lot lately and my filter doesn't seem to be doing a good enough job. I have time at the moment to do the water changes and just want to do everything I can to help there health. I've added the salt and prazi and going to buy a heater in a little while.

I'm a bit worried, Barbara is bottom sitting again today until I go close to the tank then she swims just whilst I'm there and just saw Emily sitting as well for the first time ever during the day. I've bought a heater so going to raise the temp. Do you think this is a reaction to the flukes treatment or the ich?

Actually do you think it's a good idea to give them all a separate salt dip at 3%?

I think you just need to let the 0.3% salt do it's job and get the temperature up to speed the Ich life cycle up.  It may look worse before it get's better, but at a higher temperature should be gone quickly.  

The only thing about doing daily water changes is that you will go through prazi quickly, so make sure you have enough to complete the treatments.

The bottom sitting is probably an indication that they are irritated by the Ich and/or the flukes.  It's fairly common during prazi treatments.  However, there is a risk of secondary bacterial infections, so if this behavior persists you may need antibiotics.

Thank you for your replies and well wishes ☺️ I will leave the salt dips for now then and will just stick to your advice, thank you so much. I have around half a bottle of prazi left but I'm going to try and order another bottle from the USA incase I run out anytime soon. I have seachem powdered metronidazole and kanaplex but that's it in terms of antibiotics. Any recommendations for ones I should buy to have on hand when I order the prazi? Last time I checked I couldn't ship over metromeds.

Thank you! Throughout last night all three girls were at the bottom sleeping I think (together, very sweet though). This morning Emily is bottom sitting a little bit until she sees movement and then she is fully alert. I've seen both Emily and Barbara twitch this morning, rather than it being just their fins tho it seemed like their whole body was, I've never seen that before.

Update - over the last 24 hours I've noticed Barbara the new join has developed what looks like a little blister underneath her wen. At first I thought it was new wen growth but now getting concerned. All three fish are now taking it in turns to bottom sit. They still have an appetite and are eating well and are very active when they see me. Twitching has calmed down a bit but still appear to be yawning mostly Barbara. In terms of the ich it is still visible on Barbara, Emily's has reduced on her gills but I've just noticed she's developed it on her tail and it's surrounded by red streaks. Maxine's has reduced on her tail compared to when I noticed it last week. Also Barbara appears to have excess slime coat produced - the bubbles produced in the tank seem to be sticking to her more so than my other two.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae211/lillypetal1/562CB96F-3B95-4CDA-B62D-44A71FCE97E2_zpstyfav0s0.jpg

That's a picture of the ulcer I'm referring to, if you can zoom in it is far more clear.

Thank you so much, really appreciate your help. Let me know if you need anymore pictures.

I don't think it's anything to worry about at this point.

To answer your question about meds to have on hand. it might be a good idea to get some API Furan-2 or Nitrofuracin Green in case you ever do have ulceration of the wen.  

I also recommend that you do a couple more rounds of Prazi with just 0.1% salt after the Ich is gone and the 0.3% salt is finished.  You will not need to double dose it with the salt at 0.1%.  

Thanks a lot, I will see if I can get that shipped over. The blister looks a little smaller today, was worried what I would wake up to this morning. However my fish is still producing a lot of slime it seems, and the bubbles stick to it so it almost looks like worms hanging off my fish.. Is this normal? ???? actually best way to describe it would probably be like stringy mucus with bubbles stuck to it that get removed quickly but then will find it on another part of her body.

Edited by lillypetal

I will do both shortly. Just realised that I've followed the prazi schedule wrong. I was intending to do the 7 day schedule but just re read and it and realised I was meant to do a water change on day 5 and then re add the prazi on day 8. The first day I added the prazi was last Friday. Since then I've done two water changes but re added the prazi removed. How should I proceed now? I'm so silly ????.