Is Metromeds and MediGold sold in Australia?

Ree

Hi,

I am just preparing to do a QT for new fish I am getting in a weeks time, and I was reading the QT advice on the forum.  I was wondering if Metromeds or MediGold are sold in Australia?  I have not found them on any websites yet.  I am in a regional area, and we are nearly an hour away from our nearest petshop which is only very small so I get most of my shopping done online.  Any clues?

Also, what do Metromeds and MediGold treat? 

I have purchased the

API Aquarium Salt

Blue Planet Fluke/Tapeworm Tablets 100 (couldn't find the Aqua Master Fluke and Tapeworm Tablets)

Blue Planet Tri-Sulfa Tablets 15

I also have some Wardleys Promethyasul and some Seachem Kanaplex on hand if needed.

Do I need anything else? 

The other question I have is, if I need an antibiotic, there are no vets around here that are able to treat fish, so what do I do then?

I have recently bought some comets to cycle my tank from the same fish shop, and I did not know about QT then, and they have been in the tank for 4 weeks and have shown no signs of parasitic or bacterial/fungal illness.  Poor things, they have been my 'learning buddies' and will go out in my parents in-laws pond when the tank is ready.

Thankyou so much for all your help in advance!

MetroMeds and MediGold were discontinued when the owner of Goldfish Connection, Rick, retired earlier this year or late last year. So no, not only are they not sold in AUS, but they're not sold at all anymore.

MetroMeds and MediGold were discontinued when the owner of Goldfish Connection, Rick, retired earlier this year or late last year. So no, not only are they not sold in AUS, but they're not sold at all anymore.

Ahhhhh, that might explain it!  Thanks Chelsea!  What do you use instead of these products?

Ahhhhh, that might explain it!  Thanks Chelsea!  What do you use instead of these products?

I personally use Seachem Metronidazole (now called MetroPlex) and Kanaplex.

Remember that if you're doing a normal  QT, you won't be dosing meds first thing. You will only need the Prazi in the tank first, and will just want to have the antibiotics on hand in case the prazi upsets the fish.

I personally use Seachem Metronidazole (now called MetroPlex) and Kanaplex.

Remember that if you're doing a normal  QT, you won't be dosing meds first thing. You will only need the Prazi in the tank first, and will just want to have the antibiotics on hand in case the prazi upsets the fish.

That's what I thought, thankyou so much for confirming that.  I just need them on hand before they are needed as it takes over a week from ordering to receiving most of my products online due to our remote location.  I don't want to loose any little fishy friends because I should have, could have, etc.  Thanks so much again Chelsea for all your help! It is very much appreciated!

I've just had a look for MetroPlex online in Australia, and I haven't been able to find it either.  Is anyone aware if it is sold in Australia?

Metronidazole is regulated here, it's really hard to come by without a prescription/vet. Every once in a while I see Guppy's Aquarium Products selling Microbe Lift's Metro, but it's always taken down rather quickly. I don't know if that means it sells out or what, but it's imported, so I assume it's on the up and up. :idont

You may need to look for it in the same place you found the Kanaplex, or maybe someone from AUS will be able to help you get some, since it is Metronidazole.

Thanks for that Chelsea! :D

Metronidazole is regulated here, it's really hard to come by without a prescription/vet. Every once in a while I see Guppy's Aquarium Products selling Microbe Lift's Metro, but it's always taken down rather quickly. I don't know if that means it sells out or what, but it's imported, so I assume it's on the up and up. :idont

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realise it was controlled.  I wont be able to get a fish to the vet :( as the vets within an hour and a half don't treat fish.  Ill keep an eye out on Guppy's and see if it comes up for sale again.  Thanks so much for the tip!

If you can't get the Metronidazole powder(which would be best), you could try to get New Life Spectrum Hex Shield which contains Metronidazole.

The latter definitely isn't available here. One of the NLS importers/suppliers for Australia said on another forum they can't get it into the country.

Ree, if the time comes and you need Metronidazole, don't worry, there's a member here who usually has access to it and is prepared to help people out. :)

If you can't get the Metronidazole powder(which would be best), you could try to get New Life Spectrum Hex Shield which contains Metronidazole.

The latter definitely isn't available here. One of the NLS importers/suppliers for Australia said on another forum they can't get it into the country.

Ree, if the time comes and you need Metronidazole, don't worry, there's a member here who usually has access to it and is prepared to help people out. :)

Thanks Dan!  That does make me feel better.  :thumbup2:  Ill try not to stress about it till I need it.    :whistle  :teehee