URGENT Large Lump on fish's side, protruding scales and redness (on the lump only)

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 10
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) - 5
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 8.0-8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 8.0-8.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? - 74 degrees F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 60g, since December 2014
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin 200 HOB, Rena Filstar XP canister
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 2x per week, about 90%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Monday, 90%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4: 1 is 4", and the other three are around 3"-3.25"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? - Hikari Saki pellets 2x per day, frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms every other day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? - no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? - no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - 3 week Prazi treatment about 2 months ago
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - large lump, redness and scales sticking out over the lump
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - no

Hi everyone,

Oh my gosh, I'm shaking. Went to do a water change on my tank and noticed one of my fish has a huge lump on her side, with scales protruding over it and redness. It was not like this as of yesterday evening.

Under the tank lights, you can't really see the redness, but once I moved her to the white bowl it was apparent. She is eating like a pig an swimming around normally...I have no decor in the tank currently, so there isn't anything she could have hurt herself on.

I have kanaplex and metroplex for meds. 

Tank is at 0.1% salt already. Should I quarantine, medicate? I'm so freaked out right now. :(

IMG_20150416_211259363_zpsaxpzvdrd.jpg

IMG_20150416_211308357_zpsf7jtv7t5.jpg

IMG_20150416_210819690_HDR_zpsp60xtbzm.j

Edited by misssmountain

I won't advise on treatment, but do get a QT tank going if you're able. I suspect antibiotics are going to be needed, and you won't want to medicate the healthy fish and risk destroying your bio filter as well.

Hang in there. A mod will surely be along soon.

I would move her to a QT.  Add Epsom Salt rather than regular salt at 1 Teaspoon per 5 gallons.  Then start the Metroplex at 2 measures per 10 gallons and the Kanaplex at 2 measures per 10 gallons.

I would move her to a QT.  Add Epsom Salt rather than regular salt at 1 Teaspoon per 5 gallons.  Then start the Metroplex at 2 measures per 10 gallons and the Kanaplex at 2 measures per 10 gallons.

Okay, that is all set up with the epsom and 2 meds. I have her in a 10g hospital tank with an airstone. I think she's confused about where her friends are, but otherwise seems okay.

Any ideas what this could be? I felt the lump -- it doesn't seem soft or hard really, same firmness as the rest of the fish, I guess. I really hope she pulls through.

Is this a confirmed female? Has she been egg bound? If not, it may just be an internal infection. I almost suggested Epsom alone to start, but I don't like the look of those scales. Better safe than sorry.

Is this a confirmed female? Has she been egg bound? If not, it may just be an internal infection. I almost suggested Epsom alone to start, but I don't like the look of those scales. Better safe than sorry.

Yes, she is a female. She laid eggs maybe 2-3 weeks ago. How would I be able to tell if she's eggbound? 

She looks the same this morning...although there is a tiny pimple-y thing on her back that appeared since last night, but she gets those from time to time. The swollen area is the same. What's my next step?

Some quick (crappy, lol) photos...the swelling actually does seem to have gone down slightly, in my opinion. It's still reddish/yellowish, and the scales are sticking out. Like i said, there is also a small reddish dot on her back, and one caudal fin has some slight streaking...that may be just stress though, I don't think she likes the QT and seems to be looking for her buddies :(

IMG_20150417_133448937_zpsk3qjuzoc.jpg

IMG_20150417_133445808_zpsfshmibdb.jpg

I'm assuming I'll want to change the water in the hospital tank tomorrow, for tonight I'll just add some Prime -- although she hasn't pooped in there yet. Will I add the meds and epsom salt back in until she's better? 

Yes, do a 100% water change every other day just before redosing the Kanaplex and Metroplex and just add a double dose of Prime on the days in between.  You will want to go to 14 days (7 doses) with the Metroplex and 10-12 days (5 or 6 doses) with the Kanaplex even if she appears better sooner.  The Epsom Salt should also be replaced after each water change, though we may lower the dose once the scales are flat again.   

I'm assuming I'll want to change the water in the hospital tank tomorrow, for tonight I'll just add some Prime -- although she hasn't pooped in there yet. Will I add the meds and epsom salt back in until she's better? 

Yes, do a 100% water change every other day just before redosing the Kanaplex and Metroplex and just add a double dose of Prime on the days in between.  You will want to go to 14 days (7 doses) with the Metroplex and 10-12 days (5 or 6 doses) with the Kanaplex even if she appears better sooner.  The Epsom Salt should also be replaced after each water change, though we may lower the dose once the scales are flat again.   

Sounds like a plan. How about feeding? Should I feed her the pellet food as normal, or a little lighter since its a hospital tank? Any frozen foods? 

Sounds like a plan. How about feeding? Should I feed her the pellet food as normal, or a little lighter since its a hospital tank? Any frozen foods? 

I would feed her lightly while in the QT.  Either kind is fine.

Hi Jared,

Turbz is looking MUCH better. Her scales are almost laying flat, although not 100% yet. I've attached a photo -- kind of hard to see, as in the photo they do look flat, haha. Should I continue with the dosage for Epsom tomorrow, or decrease it slightly since we've seen improvement in the swelling/scales?

IMG_20150419_231752132_zps3gxlfcgv.jpg

Here she is as of today...not 100% there yet, but making progress.

Right after I filled up the 10 gallon and dosed the whole thing, I tried to push the tank back a little (it's on the floor) and a little nick on the outside of one corner turned into a full-blown crack.  :yikes  It's on the top half, so she is still in there, but only with half the amount of water. Hopefully the meds dispersed okay in the 10 minutes or so they were in there for! I can run out and grab a new 10 gallon first thing in the morning, and will re-dose the medication, and then get back on track on Friday evening. Hope that's all okay and doesn't set us back any! I'm guessing she'll be okay just for overnight...

IMG_20150422_211059346_zpstwcpzu35.jpg

It should be fine.  Sorry about the tank, though :(

She is looking much better :nana

My 6th dose of Kanaplex was yesterday, and my 7th dose of Metro will be tomorrow. I'm done with the Kana, correct? After I dose the Metro tomorrow, do I wait a couple of days and then she is ready to go back in the main tank? :)

Also...do we know what causes these types of infections? Is she prone to getting something like this again?

Edited by misssmountain

My 6th dose of Kanaplex was yesterday, and my 7th dose of Metro will be tomorrow. I'm done with the Kana, correct? After I dose the Metro tomorrow, do I wait a couple of days and then she is ready to go back in the main tank? :)

Also...do we know what causes these types of infections? Is she prone to getting something like this again?

Yes, you are done with the Kanaplex.  If she is looking good and behaving normally, you can return her to the main tank once the Metro is done.  

It could have been an internal parasite, bacterial infection or both which is why we combined the Metro and Kana.  This didn't look like full blown dropsy, so hopefully it won't recur.  

Yes, you are done with the Kanaplex.  If she is looking good and behaving normally, you can return her to the main tank once the Metro is done.  

It could have been an internal parasite, bacterial infection or both which is why we combined the Metro and Kana.  This didn't look like full blown dropsy, so hopefully it won't recur.

Thanks! Hey would you mind checking out my new thread regarding a shredded dorsal on my other fish? I was wondering about moving her to the hospital tank this week and treating with either kanaplex or melafix...her dorsal is taking a huge beating for some reason and I'd like to try and figure it out. Would be curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Okay, just did my 7th/last does of Metroplex, and am still doing the Epsom Salt...here are a bunch of photos I just took. I dunno, I'm not convinced it looks 100% better? But it could be I've just been looking at it for too long, haha. Under a regular tank light she looks perfect, although I'm not sure if that's still some swelling I'm seeing. Anyway, wanted to post here and hear your thoughts. Also, thank you for your help and support! 

IMG_20150427_204445637_zpswp2orjew.jpg

IMG_20150427_204327160_zpszuqbs6b9.jpg

IMG_20150427_204519305_zpsadqfmuij.jpg

IMG_20150427_204621319_zpsl6d2bww6.jpg

IMG_20150427_204705297_zps3svcdnnf.jpg

I agree.  There is still some unevenness.  Let's keep the Epsom going and check in tomorrow about whether to extend the Metro a few more days.  Is the Epsom still at 1 Teaspoon per 5 gallons?  She definitely looks better, though :)