Heavy feed one - two days before scheduled W/C

Jim_D

Does anyone give their fish a heavier feed a day or two before the tanks scheduled weekly W/C as a treat and just to spoil them?

They're the days I pork them out on earthworms.

I don't give them a heavier feeding, but I do sub out my normal staples for a few treats the day of or the day before my WCs. Feeding them too heavily can cause constipation, so I try to steer clear of feeding too heavily. :)

Hi Chelsea,

This is the first time that I have kept Oranda's permanently, how susceptible to constipation are they? The staple store bought food for my aquarium goldies is Hikari lion head sinking pellets.

My comets, fantails and koi in my pond, I can feed them bulk amounts of floating pellets 10x+ times a day and they never get floaty or constipated. There is a small amount of algae on the concrete walls of the pond for them to nibble on, but not huge amounts.

I agree with Chelsea on not over feeding with pellets, but I imagine the worms aren't causing trouble?

G'day Diesel, I've never seen any floatiness or constipation in any of my goldfish, but I don't want to be too cavalier about it and cause a problem for them either.

From what I've seen of the earthworm poo castes that they do 12 hours or so later, earthworms go through them pretty fast and easily.

Orandas are just as susceptible to constipation as other fancies, so I wouldn't advise heavy feedings. 

This. It's not worth trying to pet the lion on this one.

I'm not sure how earthworms go through them, so I can't quite say how much constipation it will cause. Bloodworms, however, cause next to nothing since they go through the fish in less than 8 hours usually when I feed. Regular food takes 12-24 hours with my guys. 

• Admin

My :twocents: I found when I had my pond... The goldfish just loved the Duck Weed and water lettuce... Giving them something to munch on that wont cause the constipation.... :)

:hi