babies into a pond?

I recently received about 30 8-week old baby orandas and the plan was to put them in my 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tub out on my patio. Never done the patio pond thing before. its got a water lily and pennywort in it with airstone & sponge filter. But now that they're here, I'm in momma mode and worrying I'm not doing the right thing. I don't know if its a wise thing to stick them in there mainly cuz I'm paranoid that when its time to feed, they won't all eat or I won't have the best examination of them from above. Also I'm realizing a sole 300w heater isn't heating up the tub to what I'd ideally like it. I think its still around 60 degrees. I live in Texas so summer is coming & it will warm up significantly in a few weeks anyway. 

Just a bunch of worries - anyone done something like this or have any suggestions/comments? 

Edited by all4koi

I had looked at that before but I don't want to build an insulation box. I live in an apartment not to mention I don't want to spend $100 to bring up the temps when I can buy triple times in heaters or an indoor aquarium instead. other ways to insulate? 

Also your thoughts on putting that young of fish into a tub? or am i just worrying too much?

wrap some insulation around it

It seems like you're only going to need the insulation for a month tops so I was just suggesting something simple like wrapping it witha roll of insulation and something like a piece of plywood over the top. I wouldnt be concerned about putting them outside in 60 degree water. Maybe not ideal but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. That is a lot of fish. I know they are small but I'd be sure to monitor ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. It seems you already know a good amount about fish care so you probably already know that. Is this 100 gallon tub on an apartment balcony? If so, I would be careful. It will weigh 835 pounds in just water. Closer to 900 with the weight if the tub and filters. Plus whatever else you have on the balcony, plus yourself. 1000 pounds could collapse a balcony.

Not worried about that either. I'm on a first floor and my patio is concrete. Its visibly at least 4 feet thick and who knows how much more below ground. So I'm not too worried about weight thankfully!

I think I may swing by Petco's $1/gal for a 40 breeder to keep them inside for a few weeks til the weather warms up and they get bigger, last thing I want to do is stunt their growth cuz of the cold temperature or cuz i missed some at feedings. but you're right - gotta do what ya gotta do.  

Is this 100 gallon tub on an apartment balcony?

A 40 breeder likely will create a lot more work for you. 30 goldfish create a whole lot of ammonia, even when young. Is there a way you could put the stock tank inside until it warms up a bit?  

It sounds good but I'm not considering that as an option because of the type of flooring we have - can easily damage it with the weight, no matter how short of a timeframe it would be inside. I'm not concerned about extra work but I just wanted bounce off my worries to see if I'm making a fuss out of nothing.

i think i'll try looking into that maybe a roll of insulation to wrap it and throw another heater in it. then it comes down to just making sure the babies eat properly. i'm sure many will agree with me, if even 1 baby got missed and didn't eat as many as the others, its death still makes me very sorry & sad. momma bear here is concerned but takes good care of them :) 

A 40 breeder likely will create a lot more work for you. 30 goldfish create a whole lot of ammonia, even when young. Is there a way you could put the stock tank inside until it warms up a bit?  

Don't forget a cover, or those heaters will be working 24/7 to keep the temperature up. I ran 2 300watt heaters in my 127gal tank for awhile last spring and it kept the temperature right where I wanted it.

Yep! I picked up some of that greenhouse roofing panels so that i could cover it and the plants won't suffer either. thanks for letting me bounce my crazy thoughts on you all.

Yep! I picked up some of that greenhouse roofing panels so that i could cover it and the plants won't suffer either. thanks for letting me bounce my crazy thoughts on you all.

Those polycarbonate panels work quite well. The person I get my plants from uses them on some of his fish production ponds in the colder months -- granted cold here is drastically different to cold in the US.