Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Are there any technical words for the speed or way a goldfish swims

Hi everyone,

This is not an urgent Topic.  I was just sitting musing about goldfish swimming.  Well let me explain that...

I fed my two Goldfish homemade gel food for the first time tonight.  While one hoed in, the other was somewhat timid.  She approached with caution, took a gingerly nibble.  "Its ok" she thought, so she took a bigger bite.  This didn't work so well.  While taking a bite, she shook the gel food and smacked herself in the eye with it!  Then very promptly swam away to hide behind some plants and stake it out from a distance, just in case it moved again!

Well, I was trying to describe this to my mother in law in an email tonight, and I was stumped.  How does one describe a goldfish swimming fast, well bolting?  Or for that matter taking a leisurely swim?  Horses have varied modes of movement, they walk, trot, canter, gallop.  Humans dawdle, amble, walk, jog, sprint.... So how about fish?  Is there any technical terms for the different ways fish swim?

Then another thought struck me.  If I was having trouble with my fish, and I wanted to describe it to someone, say on the wonderful Koko's forum, how would I go about it?

Just a thought.  I don't know if there is a technical answer or not, but if not I would love to hear some words I could use to describe the 'speed' or 'mode' of their movements.  

How do you describe the way your fish moves?  Even if they are made up words I would love to hear them.  Only if they are made up, please tell me they are made up, or ill be describing to you in the near future my fish is 'finflapping' around the tank, and no-one will know what I mean!

Many fish waddle. The most famous is Lisa's little star Waddles. Lol

When I think of goldfosh movements I think of the words waddle, glide, motor for fancies.

Single tales don't waddle so much but they glide, jet, dart, and soar.

If you need more.

http://your-book-editor.com/verbs-for-human-movement/4582349666

I describe a fish swimming away quickly, much like what yours did as dart.....not sure if it is technical but ie: my fish darted away from the gel food and hid in the plants.....

There are no technical terms for speed. "Darting" describes a quick burst of speed, usually toward cover. I call the typical movement of relaxed mature goldfish "cruising," the equivalent of us strolling. The fish moves slowly with minimal movement of the fins and body.

"Flashing" is a technical term for a movement. One form is a symptom. The fish rubs its side against some surface of or in the aquarium, like it is scratching -- which is exactly what it is doing. Parasites are the usual cause of the itch. The fish can also "flash" against the water surface. This can happen when a fish is going for a bug or other floating food. It also occurs during spawning.

"Chasing" refers to the behavior of males during spawning. They chase the females and push their sides against the female to stimulate egg release.

"Foraging" is a behavior that involves movement. The fish moves slowly, poking its mouth against a surface. It's searching for food, and nibbling at algae or whatever it comes across.

Hover is one used often when a fish is just... hovering. :teehee Generally you don't want to see them do it, but it helps to mark the difference between bottom-sitting and staying pretty motionless, near the bottom? :idont

I think this is pretty much why videos of their swimming and behavior is so incredibly useful. :rofl

My goldfish fin gyration accelerated forthwith :rofl2

Aaron, my sides hurt!  :lol:    I love this!!!!!

There are no technical terms for speed. "Darting" describes a quick burst of speed, usually toward cover. I call the typical movement of relaxed mature goldfish "cruising," the equivalent of us strolling. The fish moves slowly with minimal movement of the fins and body.

"Flashing" is a technical term for a movement. One form is a symptom. The fish rubs its side against some surface of or in the aquarium, like it is scratching -- which is exactly what it is doing. Parasites are the usual cause of the itch. The fish can also "flash" against the water surface. This can happen when a fish is going for a bug or other floating food. It also occurs during spawning.

"Chasing" refers to the behavior of males during spawning. They chase the females and push their sides against the female to stimulate egg release.

"Foraging" is a behavior that involves movement. The fish moves slowly, poking its mouth against a surface. It's searching for food, and nibbling at algae or whatever it comes across.

Sharon, Thankyou so very much!  That is brilliant information. Lots of terms I can use. :thumbup2:

Many fish waddle. The most famous is Lisa's little star Waddles. Lol

When I think of goldfosh movements I think of the words waddle, glide, motor for fancies.

Single tales don't waddle so much but they glide, jet, dart, and soar.

If you need more.

http://your-book-editor.com/verbs-for-human-movement/4582349666

Daniel, thankyou so much!  That is a great resource!  Almost a cheat sheet!  :thumb:

I describe a fish swimming away quickly, much like what yours did as dart.....not sure if it is technical but ie: my fish darted away from the gel food and hid in the plants.....

Dart fits perfectly Niki!  Why did my brain not think of this?  :D

Hover is one used often when a fish is just... hovering. :teehee Generally you don't want to see them do it, but it helps to mark the difference between bottom-sitting and staying pretty motionless, near the bottom? :idont

I think this is pretty much why videos of their swimming and behavior is so incredibly useful. :rofl

Jenzaar, Thankyou for contributing!  I did not know that fish were described as hovering.  :idea:

The only one I can think of is the "Feed Me Wiggle" as the fish gather at the front of the tank and/or near the surface begging for food while quickly wiggling against the glass in excitement of wanting some nom noms :teehee

The only one I can think of is the "Feed Me Wiggle" as the fish gather at the front of the tank and/or near the surface begging for food while quickly wiggling against the glass in excitement of wanting some nom noms :teehee

I have seen this wiggle that you be speaking of!  Mine occasionally get closer to a :tantrum , especially on days when they are fasting! :teehee

Like a bull in a china shop? 

Yes! Rachel, YES! :D

Thanks for bringing this topic up. It was rather interesting. :)

No problem Goldfishgirl82!  It intrigued me!  :hummm  And I was wondering how to explain goldfish behaviour properly in case I ever needed to say :help: