When Do Fry Look Like Fish

sushoomee

Yes I'm new and fry challenged. When do these little guys begin to look like actual goldfish and get their coloring. Right now my children are clear at four days old. Another question, how big would you say that an average fantail fry gets at say week one, week two, and three. Also, when can they begin to be treated as the adults with filters and airstones? I have an airstone in with them now but have the hose crimped with a clothes pin and a mass of plants to buffer all the current. I'm so paranoid of doing something wrong its not funny.

my fantail fry at 1 week was less than an inch long

they usually dont grow much in one week

after about 2-3 months then you can really get some

differentiation in size( especially the runts)

however my fantails fry arent doing so well compared

to my comets- but that was totally expected

when do they get colour?

it really depends

they can start getting colour in a month

near the spine and along the fins

but for them to look like their parents it can take

a few month to a year

and also some of the fish dont get colour at all

they remain brown all their life - but i havent come across this yet

you can put them in after a few months usually

just make sure that the current isnt too strong

your have to judge really since you'll know how good they can swim

:goodluck and keep us posted

Thank you for the help. Wow you have comet and fantail fry. Sounds like you have your hands full. My kiddos are fantails. I only have about forty of them because the parents worked the eggs over before I could get the plants out. I think it was actually a blessing in disguise since I already have seven tanks and am space challenged. Looks like I'll be having eight tanks here shortly. Good luck with all of your babies and thanks again for the help. :hi

I have 112 goldfish thats counting the koi and then 33 bettas. It makes my head hurt sometimes LOL. :wall I'm just joking. Most of my guys are feeder fish rescues and shubunkins except for the one tank of fantails, who the babies belong to. I'm in the process of upgrading to all larger tanks because the guys are growing like weeds. Of course this comes in handy with the babies because they will get the hand me down tanks. So how many kiddos do you have?

Edited by sushoomee

i have about 20

just a few month ago

i got to release some of my fish back into the pond

that was so cool watching them grow and now interacting with the big guys

im hoping to release another one soon

many of my fry die in the past andit was kinda unexplainable

so now i only take about 10 eggs from every batch

also i dont know what i'd do with so many frys

my experience with fry is that my oranda/moor babies are about 6mm at a week old. with the colouring thing, most start to show colour at about 3 months old. i havent had any fry change colour though! i have one common left who is 10 months old and still has no colour and i have some oranda/moor fry at the moment who are 10 and 2 days old. when the first lot hatched they were about 3mm but this lot are about 6mm already! it does vary so there are no garentees. given the right environent and food, fry can reach 2 inches in 4 months.

My kiddos hatched out last wednesday and already they have doubled in size. They are some fat little buggars too. I'm just now able to see the tails fanning out, and you can almost see mouths. I wish I had a digital camera so I could take pictures and post them. I had no idea that the babies in the pet stores were so old when you buy them as far as they have colors already. My parent fishes were only a 1/2 inch long when I got them two and a half years ago. All four fit in my hand and looked like guppies. Who new I'd have their kids one day.

wow how touching

its kinda the same with me

my parents use to have a fish pond when they were young

im just following in their footsteps i guess :lol:

theres just something about them

that you can never get bored of but you cant quiet put your hands on neither

do you have some pics of your fish

i would love to see them

also how do you keep 33 bettas dont they need separate enclosure?