Water Lillies?

Niki

I have tried it, unsuccessfully. They grow fine in my pond. You can either plant the tuber in something like gravel, or, if it's big enough, just let it sit on the bottom.

I would use something more aquarium-oriented, like a Dwarf Tiger Lotus or Taiwanese Lotus. They can get pretty large, and act a lot like lilies. You'd want to plant it in some sort of substrate, have the minimum of surface agitation so the plant will grow up instead of out, and have fish that won't constantly pick at the plant. Best of all, you can find these at big chain pet stores as bulbs. :)

thank you, I was hoping to have a beautiful lily on top of the water!

does the tiger lotus have the lily pads that float?

these fish are monsters! they destroy any kind of plant I have tried in their tank, duckweed, water lettuce, that bushy floating stuff

Tiger lotus has floating pads, or they hang out just below the surface. 

If they destroy everything, I would suggest just doing fake plants, then, or sprouting the bulbs in some water separate from the tank and letting them grow up a little. :( I had a fish that even destroyed and ate anubias, and I could hardly put any plants in with her. She oddly enough avoided WaterSprite, though. 

The lotuses will stay compact if you trim them regularly, if want the pads let them reach the surface. Some of the flowers are quite pretty.

Thanks, Niki. :heart

They pretty much take what you give them. The higher the lighting, the more incentive the plant has to reach the surface. However, if the light is too high/too close to the surface, then the pads will get sunburned.

The higher the lighting, the more incentive the plant has to reach the surface. However, if the light is too high/too close to the surface, then the pads will get sunburned.

I've got to disagree, at least to some extent. Provided you have ample co2 and maintain proper trimming techniques, there's no reason high light will cause greater incentive to reach the surface. If you snuff out the first several leaves that make an attempt towards freedom, the whole plant is fairly inclined to stay low and bushy.

The higher the lighting, the more incentive the plant has to reach the surface. However, if the light is too high/too close to the surface, then the pads will get sunburned.

I've got to disagree, at least to some extent. Provided you have ample co2 and maintain proper trimming techniques, there's no reason high light will cause greater incentive to reach the surface. If you snuff out the first several leaves that make an attempt towards freedom, the whole plant is fairly inclined to stay low and bushy.

My only thing regarding that, is that most of us don't run CO2 on our tanks. Therefore, we need to compensate for that. 

Yes, when you cut the leaves that are going to reach the surface, the plant decides to stop. But I think that she wants them to go and be surface plants, hence wanting true water lilies in her first post.

My only thing regarding that, is that most of us don't run CO2 on our tanks. Therefore, we need to compensate for that.

Yes, when you cut the leaves that are going to reach the surface, the plant decides to stop. But I think that she wants them to go and be surface plants, hence wanting true water lilies in her first post.

Yes, but I wanted to point out that more light doesn't always give a plant greater incentive to grow tall. I guess the best example of what I mean would be something like glossostigma elatinoides. Under low light it will climb to find more light, but with high light it's quite happy to spread prostrate because it doesn't need to find more light. And with more light I've found tiger lotuses like to throw up new leaves more than climb. :)

Nymphoides aquatica is another option, it's more commonly known as a banana plant or lily. Produces some pretty white flowers too.

Edited by dan in aus

I've found the opposite with my Tigers. That's odd. Maybe it was because it got bushy first, and that made the lower leaves shaded enough that they had to climb. :idont

Banana plant flowers are gorgeous. It's always a good option. 

I've found the opposite with my Tigers. That's odd. Maybe it was because it got bushy first, and that made the lower leaves shaded enough that they had to climb. :idont

Banana plant flowers are gorgeous. It's always a good option.

Perhaps? Part of the problem I find with bushes is you do have to trim them regularly, if not to keep their shape, but to prevent parts from ending up shaded.

I forgot about this post :-)

I like the ideas in here, and yes Chelsea is right I do want Lilly pads on the surface.

The light I use in this pictular tank isn't for fish, it's actually for reptiles so I'm not even sure it will grow plants, I was going to rely on the sunlight for the Lilly pads to get energy and wanted a few to cover the surface to also help slow algae bc of the direct light.

I might try the tigers or banana plant if I can find them.

I don't use co2 in any of my tanks. Not even my planted one so low care requirements is also a must

You may be able to find Nymphaea zenkeri bulbs and aponogeton bulbs (a plant that will also produce "floating pads") in big box stores and big box pet stores.  They come as bulbs packaged like this:

clamshell+bulbs+CRW_9150_1.JPG

Also read this:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/108282-nymphaea-in-aquariums/

and this:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112474-i-need-a-lily-pad-for-my-29-gallon-planted-tank/#entry1548774

As for the reptile light, it will work fine.  I've used old reptile lights on many aquariums.  :D

Edited by Acro