Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Which is the quietest filter for this tank?

Hi,

I have this tank with built in overhead sump filter...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111600251839?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And I did have an under gravel filter with scoria gravel over it, but have just taken it out of the tank (have I wrecked my cycling???).  It held so much gunk, even cleaning the filter wool and vac the gravel every three-four days I could not get all the gravel vacuumed and clean.  Ewwwww! :OO   So now only have a handful of the gravel left in the tank till I can get some sand in two weeks.

My tank was on a slight lean, and the overhead sump filter would backflow ever so slightly.  We corrected that today by spinning the tank around so that it faced the other way. 

The overhead sump has very limited room for any bio media.  Once I have two grades of wool in there it is nearly all filled up. At the moment I have these layers (in order of the water flow),

* filter wool 7mm thick? (washed weekly in old tank water & replaced fortnightly)

* fine filer wool, about 2mm thick (washed weekly in old tank water & replaced monthly)

* scoria gravel in a stocking/pantyhose, about 7mm thick (didn't have access to any media bags at the time) (never washed)

* and some activated carbon just before it exits the filter (replaced every 4 weeks).

I am trying to cycle the tank, and at the moment the tank has been cycling for over 3 weeks, and although I have been keeping the ammonia at .25ppm or lower, the tank has yet to show any nitrites.  This is with the overhead sump, combined with the gravel filter. 

Tank conditions are

volume 100L 

ph8.0

ammonia less than 0.25ppm

nitrite 0ppm

nitrate 0ppm

temperature 20-24 degrees Celsius

bio load 2 goldfish (started off with 6 and reduced to 2 approx. a week ago) 2inch each, and 6 12mm mystery snails

water changes 30% every 3-4 days to keep ammonia lower than 0.25ppm (todays water change ended up being more like 70% due to the filth in the gravel)

chemicals used: prime conditioner only, nothing else.

filter: overhead sump 1500lph as above

I have removed the under gravel filter and scoria gravel on the tank bottom today (it was a little too sharp for the fish to forage I think), and am concerned

* that my tank is not cycling (am I just not patient enough?)

* that I don't have adequate volume or quality of bio media.

So back to my questions.....

1. Is my overhead sump enough? 
  2. Should I be looking to supplement the filtration (treating the overhead sump as mechanical filtration, and getting another filter for bio filtration) (it would have to be internal to avoid modifying the hood... more fishy space gone :krazy:)?
  3. Or ditch the overhead sump for something much quieter (YAY)!
  4. Which filter type is the quietest? and which flow rate should I be after (considering my overstocking)?

I did not want to modify the hood of the tank too much, it is not removable, and am on a limited budget, so a $600 canister is out of the question  :cry1

I really want to keep two goldfish, and they will be replaced with two fantails when the tank is cycled, so I know I need to be on top of water changes/filtration.

Would a filter like this be super super super quiet? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304B-2000L-H-CANISTER-FILTER-WITH-BONUS-FULL-FILTER-MEDIA-SET-NEW-/400873211528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5d55e7c688

Any suggestions?  :please  I have a feeling I might be asking the impossible :donthit: ???? 

I have a canister that I bought off ebay for only about 200 that does 2500 liters per hour. Its not a fancy brand but it works well and is quiet. We generally say canisters should do 5-7x your tank volume an hour, Id aim for 7x at least with your stocking so 700 lph. You'd be surprised at what you can find for an affordable price. also ditch the carbon to give more room for bio media. From my knowledge sponges really only need replacing when they are falling apart...i just rinse mine in tank water every few week, and when I do replace them Ill only do one at a time so I dont lose a lot of bacteria.

But your sump at 1500lph sounds really good. It can take a couple of months to cycle completely.

I believe you can let the ammonia get higher if you dose with prime every day to Detoxify it, that is what i did when i upgraded and had a cycle bump

I have a canister that I bought off ebay for only about 200 that does 2500 liters per hour. Its not a fancy brand but it works well and is quiet. We generally say canisters should do 5-7x your tank volume an hour, Id aim for 7x at least with your stocking so 700 lph. You'd be surprised at what you can find for an affordable price. also ditch the carbon to give more room for bio media. From my knowledge sponges really only need replacing when they are falling apart...i just rinse mine in tank water every few week, and when I do replace them Ill only do one at a time so I dont lose a lot of bacteria.

But your sump at 1500lph sounds really good. It can take a couple of months to cycle completely.

I believe you can let the ammonia get higher if you dose with prime every day to Detoxify it, that is what i did when i upgraded and had a cycle bump

Thanks so much Mandy,  So if I was to aim for a miniumum of 700L/hr it would be ok... Do you mind me asking what brand is yours?

My tank is 70cm or 2 foot from the head of my bed, so quietness is sooooo soooooooooo sooooooooo important!

To be completely honest I can't remember what brand mine is.

But I do think your sump sounds good, although more biomedia is always good.

BUT I am still learning about medias and what is best and such myself lol. So someone else might be able to give better advice on whether more lph with less room for media or less lph with more media is better ^^

This one looks like mine lol, I think its the same brand. I know a lot of people say more expensive ks better, but I have had mine for about 4 years so far with no problems ^^ and its nice and quiet

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROTEGE-AQUA-Aquarium-External-Canister-Fish-Tank-Water-Pond-Filter-/160912102751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item25771bd55f

Edited by FishyMandy

To be completely honest I can't remember what brand mine is.

But I do think your sump sounds good, although more biomedia is always good.

BUT I am still learning about medias and what is best and such myself lol. So someone else might be able to give better advice on whether more lph with less room for media or less lph with more media is better ^^

This one looks like mine lol, I think its the same brand. I know a lot of people say more expensive ks better, but I have had mine for about 4 years so far with no problems ^^ and its nice and quiet

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROTEGE-AQUA-Aquarium-External-Canister-Fish-Tank-Water-Pond-Filter-/160912102751?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item25771bd55f

LOL I had to double check that link... it was the one I was just looking at!!!

Is it quiet enough to sleep right beside?  or what kind of noise does it make?  I know that's a hard question to answer.  If you walked into a room, and there was no other noise, no other appliances running, you turned off the air pump, would you be able to hear the filter?

The quietest and least expensive filter you can use is a DIY pond type filter like I made here.  Also, if you make a 20 l filter, your system water volume goes from 100 l to 120 l, and you meet the minimum recommended volume for two fish.  If you extend the outlet pipe so it goes under the surface of the tank water, it makes no noise.  Your filtration will be superior to that of anything you can buy for an aquarium.

If you are keeping the ammonia below 0.25 ppm and nitrites and nitrates at zero with two 30% water changes a week, your tank is probably close to fully cycled.  When one uses water changes to keep the parameters minimized during a fish-in cycle, it's not unusual to see good parameters throughout the process. Since two 30% water changes a week is fine for a cycled tank, once both ammonia and nitrite are zero, your tank is cycled.

Would I have just wrecked the cycling by removing the under gravel filter and the gravel in the bottom of the tank then?  That would have been most of my bio filtration.  My sump holds very very little....

The quietest and least expensive filter you can use is a DIY pond type filter like I made here.  Also, if you make a 20 l filter, your system water volume goes from 100 l to 120 l, and you meet the minimum recommended volume for two fish.  If you extend the outlet pipe so it goes under the surface of the tank water, it makes no noise.  Your filtration will be superior to that of anything you can buy for an aquarium.

If you are keeping the ammonia below 0.25 ppm and nitrites and nitrates at zero with two 30% water changes a week, your tank is probably close to fully cycled.  When one uses water changes to keep the parameters minimized during a fish-in cycle, it's not unusual to see good parameters throughout the process. Since two 30% water changes a week is fine for a cycled tank, once both ammonia and nitrite are zero, your tank is cycled.

Sharon, That is one amazing filter!  Did you have to wash all the ropes etc before using them? or did you just fill the filter from another source for a day or so to rinse everything clean?  I would be so paranoid that it might have insecticides or other contaminants from the hardware shop/storage/manufacture etc.  I think my OCD is in overdrive today. 

I am really pushed for space though.  That is a really good point about upping the volume of water!  I will have to have a think about strategic locating of everything...  the up side is I have a hubby who would be able to help me with this! 

Can you hear the pump in the tank at all?  The pump for my sump filter is quite loud, or at least too loud for me.

I wonder if there is a way I can increase the volume of the overhead sump? ... You have got me thinking now.  

Does anyone know which glues you can use in an aquarium?

Thanks for all your help!  I really love your DIY filter!

I have just discovered it was my air pump making half the noise, and the filter pump not being positioned correctly making the other half of the noise.... DOH!

Just a thought though, if I was to keep my current filter, is there a way I could mechanically filter the water before it got to the filter pump, then use the overhead sump for a biofilter? How could I do that without straining the motor of the pump too much?  Would it be possible?

I have to try to sleep now... done my head in thinking tonight.. Its 3.30am.  If anyone has any ideas I would LOVE to hear them, and Ill get back to you when I am awake again!

Sharon, That is one amazing filter!  Did you have to wash all the ropes etc before using them? or did you just fill the filter from another source for a day or so to rinse everything clean?  I would be so paranoid that it might have insecticides or other contaminants from the hardware shop/storage/manufacture etc.  I think my OCD is in overdrive today. 

No, I didn't and I never gave it a thought.  The only thing I'm paranoid about with the fish is chlorine.

I am really pushed for space though.  That is a really good point about upping the volume of water!  I will have to have a think about strategic locating of everything...  the up side is I have a hubby who would be able to help me with this! 

It's really easy to make, and I can help if you have any problems.   It not just an increase in water volume.  That water is flowing through a jungle of microorganisms that are all hungry for stuff dissolved in the water.   Put some houseplants in the top of the filter and you add phytofiltration to further improve the water. 

Can you hear the pump in the tank at all?  The pump for my sump filter is quite loud, or at least too loud for me.

I can't.  

I wonder if there is a way I can increase the volume of the overhead sump? ... You have got me thinking now.  

What are you gluing?

No, I didn't and I never gave it a thought.  The only thing I'm paranoid about with the fish is chlorine.

It's really easy to make, and I can help if you have any problems.   It not just an increase in water volume.  That water is flowing through a jungle of microorganisms that are all hungry for stuff dissolved in the water.   Put some houseplants in the top of the filter and you add phytofiltration to further improve the water. 

I can't.  

What are you gluing?

I will defiantly have a closer look at your article to see if I can find the items in Australia here.  I may have found a spot for it... maybe...  but I wont be able to grow a plant on top of it.  It is in the shadow between the back of a door and a window which gets very little light.

Now for convincing a hubby to help.  I would have to have it all ready so I can just get him to drill here and cut here.  His attention span is not that great.  If I try to see what I can find can I run it by you before I get him to help me with it.  He is an absolute wiz on anything electrical, but I don't think my fish would appreciate the type of current he deals in! LOL

If I went with the 20L what pond pump would I need in litres per hour. 

I will have to have another look at this when my brain is a little clearer.  Thankyou so much for the offer of help.  I really appreciate it, and if I get to do it, I will need your help!