Frantic goldfish?

SageBear

Hi guys, we just got a truly stunning goldfish from our lfs, he was a surrender and we know nothing about him other than that he seems healthy and is gorgeous.

My question is.. why does he freak out whenever there is movement near his tank? He is in a 20gal by himself while we set the 30 up for him (he's quite a big boy) and he throws himself around the tank whenever he notices we're there, and only quiets if we stay still for a few minutes. It's pretty frightening actually, he breaks the surface and splashes and generally thrashes about. He's so big that it's quite the spectacle.

Also, he has very strange gills. The edges of them turn outwards! Instead of the smoothly rounded gills I'm used to seeing, his are flatish, with the edges flipped completely out. It's very strange. 

Anyone have any ideas about his behaviour and/or odd gill covers?

11103012_10155442200480529_6329804420003

11150248_10155442200255529_5314813289329

Very lovely fish! Does it look like your fish is trying to hide from you? If so it might just need to settle in, try turning the lights out for the day.

Or does it swim frantically up and down the glass in front of you splashing the water then, if so it might be the feed me dance as s/he might know people=food. (Mine do this any time you approach the tank)

As for the turned out gills I believe I read recently on here that is nothing to worry about ;-)

How long have you had this fish? From my experience, it's common when they are new to the environment and getting used to you or other fish, that they can startle easy and act very skittish. Many of mine have done this in their quarantine until they begin to see me as the person who brings their food. It sometimes takes certain ones longer than others, depending on their temperament and whether or not they are alone as well. 

Your fish is very beautiful, I love that tail!  :)

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Do you have a hiding spot in their for him, that might help. Cichlids commonly do that when they are adjusting to a new environment, this could just be the same. Maybe feed him a pinch of food every time you walk by if he eats it.

If a goldfish hides, it usually means that they are sick, so we don't really provide hiding spots for them. Also, the fish is stressed, so overfeeding during that time will cause health problems like constipation. :(

Sage, just give time for the fish to relax and adjust to his environment. He'll settle in. :)

• Admin

How big is the tank and how many in it? If a new fish in placed into a tank where there isnt enough room for them, they will try and get out or get frantic.... :(

If you can I would love to see a video or photos of the tank :)

Will do! Thanks guys, great advice. I think you're probably right, its a scared settling in thing. Its just startling because he's so big that when he darts about it causes splashing and commotion.

He's alone in a 20 gallon atm, we're setting up his 30 gal today and getting his canister filter seeded etc, right now he's sharing the 20 with 2 large sponge filters so he's probably feeling a bit cramped.

I'll try to get pics, its tough cause he's upset and moving, and im at work all day. I'm actually hoping by the time I get home tonight the 30 will be painted and cleaned (its secondhand) and ready to receive him. We'll be doubling one of the old sponges up with the semi-cycled cannister for the next while until we get out third cannister set up for the planted 33 and I can move our fully cycled hob over to double the cannister. He'll eventually have the 30 breeder with a cascade 700 canister and a aqua-tech 20-40 gallon hob. Is that enough filtration given that I want to add another fish and some plants? I want to add another largish fishie, I was hoping to get a red oranda. I'm hoping the 30long will be okay?

A 30 may be okay short-term (I mean a few months) but long-term you will need to upgrade if you want another fish, simply because of space. Filtration isn't the only thing that should be looked at when you are considering adding a new fish. The general recommendation here is 15-20 gallons per fish, but 20 gallons is optimal and will leave you with a lot more wiggle-room.

I think your filtration is plenty. :) 

Goodness that's a beautiful fish! I do agree you'll want a bigger tank for two fish. Hope all goes well with him. :)

Yay! Thanks guys, i'll hold off on the other until we have a more appropriate home then. Lol or put one in each tank. The lfs is getting some premium large orandas in and i dont nnow if i'll be able to resist, its hard to geylt really great fish here.The thing we have lots of is filtration and small tanks... But our larger tanks are still premium real estate atm. My boyfriend took a video of him just now, he plunked himself in front of the tank and fed the big guy one pellet at a time until he settled and seemed to recognize that movement in front of the rank meant he was getting another pellet lol. Please please please excuse the plant detritus at the bottom, this is our plant quarantine tank (just for snail ridding purproses) that has been pressed into service as a Goldie holding tank. We didn't want to remove all the gunk but we are doing daily water changes roughly 20% so I'm thinking the water should be okay. We use the nutrifin test vials and I haven't tested cause I hear the results are unreliable if done within 24 hours of a water change? I'm thinking with the changes and two fully cycled sponges it should be okay short term (a few days).

Anyways, here's Nagosi!

Maybe not. Give me a minute to figure out how to post videos