• * Nitrite Level(Tank) = 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) =0 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) = 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) = 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) = 0 ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) = 6.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? = API Test kits, drops
      • * Water temperature? 68 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? = 36 US gallons. The tank has been running for 2 years.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Marineland Penguin Power Filter ( 30-50 gallons/ 200 GPH) I have two of these running.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? I do weekly or biweekly water changes of 90%. 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 7 days ago and I changed 90%.  
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Two fish. Both fish about about 3 inches long without their tails. I have never weighed them. 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use Seachem Prime as a water conditioner and Kent Marine pH control plus. 
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Soilent Green, usually one piece every other day. They do get blanched veggies as a snack on the weekends. I used to feed Omega One Sinking goldfish pellets but it makes them too floaty so I stopped. 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - I can't remember the exact time line of any of these events but I know that I have done one salt treatment on both of these fish. I believe I also used a boxed treatment when I first got them for fungus. 
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Pineconed scales 
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

I had three fish in this tank. The last fish also died from Dropsy. I removed the fish and put it into a hospital tank and tried to treat it with yet another boxed medication that said it was for curing Dropsy. I really don't believe that these medications work so I am no longer going to waste my money. That fish unfortunately died about two weeks ago. Since then I have been cleaning my tank and the filters making sure that there is not junk stuck and rotting in there. Last weekend I noticed that Koopa was extremely pineconed. He was still acting normal. I freaked out and during my weekly water change I took probably 90% of the gravel out because I have known for a while now that I had way too much in there. I vacuumed it really well and decided to hope for the best. I am really concerned that this bacteria is in my tank and is going to harm my other fish as well. I really am at a loss with what to do not only to help the fish that is dropsied but also to clean my tank and get rid of this bad bug. Your help is truly appreciated. 

As for hospital set up I only have a 15 gallon food safe storage container. My current issue is that I am not living at home to do water changes to that tub daily to keep the water quality up. I am willing to transport the fish to my apartment but I also wanted opinions on whether or not the fish could heal with this added stress. Please let me know. 

Medications I have:

Tetra Fungus Guard - This is the medication I used on the last fish that said it treated dropsy

API Fungus cure

Tetra Ich Guard

Tetra Life Guard

I do have Epsom Salts at home. 

None of those medications will work for dropsy.  To treat dropsy, we recommend metronidazole (MetroPlex by Seachem is the one most often used) and kanamycin (KanaPlex by Seachem).  Along with those to help kill the bacteria, Epsom salt is used to reduce the swelling. 

These medications are not found at typical box pet stores but are often found at locally owned pet stores or online.  If you'd like to treat, we will help guide you.  If no one is there to do daily or every other day WCs, I would move him back into the main tank.  The poor water quality in the QT will only worsen his condition.

He is still in the main tank with my other fish. With that being said I would like to treat the fish. Here are my questions:

My mom doesn't feel comfortable cleaning or changing tank water which is why I do that on the weekends. Would it be ok to treat and continue with my weekend water changes? Or would I need to do more frequent water changes during this treatment?

Should I treat the main tank anyway to kill whatever bacteria is causing this and to treat the other fish in the process? 

Ok. Then what I am going to have to do is transport him to my apartment and set up the hospital tank here with me. I am going to have to try and match the water as best as I can with the parameters I have at home. I never tested my apartment tap water so I will do that. I will try to find either of those products as well as some epsom salt. I don't know how the transporting of the fish will go I have an hour drive. But I guess I really don't have any other options. I hope it works out. 

What should the dosages be for the Epsom salt as well as those other medications? I am assuming those other medications will have instructions on the packaging. 

Ok. Then what I am going to have to do is transport him to my apartment and set up the hospital tank here with me. I am going to have to try and match the water as best as I can with the parameters I have at home. I never tested my apartment tap water so I will do that. I will try to find either of those products as well as some epsom salt. I don't know how the transporting of the fish will go I have an hour drive. But I guess I really don't have any other options. I hope it works out. 

What should the dosages be for the Epsom salt as well as those other medications? I am assuming those other medications will have instructions on the packaging. 

I think that would be best.  Start the Epsom immediately at 1 Teaspoon per 5 gallons.  If you can't get the Metroplex and Kanaplex at a LFS, you can order them from www.petmountain.com.  I would try the LFS first as the fish needs these ASAP.  The directions are on the packages but use the higher dosage option of 200mg per 10 gallons for the Metroplex.

Once you have the meds, we can help you with a schedule including water changes :)

Hello everyone,

I have finally found the medicine Metroplex. I am about to set up the quarantine tank. I just wanted to ask what the schedule should be for water changes, adding salt and the Metroplex. The owner of the fish store told me to add the metroplex to his food. I bought Focus by Seachem that is supposed to help bind to the meds and keep it from diffusing out of the fish. Please let me know if I should take this route or just add it straight to the water. Thanks.

Ok, so add the metro and Epsom today then test for ammonia tomorrow. I think we will be OK to just dose with Prime tomorrow then do a 100% WC the next day and redose meds.

As far as feeding, you can feed regular foods but I would feed a bit lightly at first as we monitor the ammonia levels int the QT. I'm hoping to keep ammonia levels low so you don't need to do daily WCs. :).

Ok. Koopa is currently in the quarantine tank that I set up last night with the Epsom salt and Metroplex. Unfortuneately I added Prime when I set it up through habit to remove the chlorine and chloramine from my water. Should I still test or do a water change later today and start from there with monitoring ammonia? As for the Kanaplex I did not get that. I bought one vial of MetroPlex ( I should have bought more! But this will last me to at least Sunday. I will buy more then.). I also was told by the fish store owner to get Focus by Seachem and mix MetroPlex and that in the food for the best results....so I did that. I am keeping my fingers crossed. He is still swimming around the poor guy. I am going to try and give him a small piece of gel food this morning. 

Oh I thought you could use either or. I can get some of that the fish store I went to had it. I won't be able to get there until Sunday though. Would this increase his chances if I used both? 

Oh man! I completely misread Jared's post. I thought he said "or". I do have a local fish store near my home here that I can try but I don't ever remember them selling Seachem products. 

Yes, we usually use both as it gives us wider bacterial coverage.  Metronidazole covers many G+ organisms while Kanaplex covers G-.  :D  Kanaplex is usually used a couple days less than Metronidazole  but I would start it as soon as you can.  :D

Ok I will do my best to find it. By the way, is there anything I could have done to prevent this? I mean I know bacterial infections happen, but everything in my tank has seemed up to par. One local fish store I went to told me that I am doing way too many water changes and too much water...which I don't believe them because I have been doing this for three years now and haven't had this issue. I just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can do to prevent this from happening again.   

:doh11:  Don't believe everything you hear.  I suppose if you were doing huge WCs which made your pH fluctuate all over the place it would be considered too much.  But, no, large frequent WCs don't cause dropsy.  So he's saying a dirtier tank would keep your fish healthier?  :idont  :o

There isn't really anything you can do to prevent it.  If you keep GF long enough, you're gonna experience many different diseases. 

When you do your WCs, are you raising your tap pH before adding it to the tank?