Where did you get your goldfish?

In preparation for starting up my hobby again, I was wondering where everyone got their goldfish? Big pet store? Specialty website? I'm curious  :P Seeing as I'm young and money is tight my fish will probably come from Petsmart or PetCo. Has anyone gotten fish from these stores and had them turn out healthy? I'm a bit worried. Anyways, comment below! :fishtank

Any fish will be healthy if taken care of and quarantined properly :) I personally like mom and pop pet stores to get fish. 2 of mine are from a mom and pop store I work at, 2 were resuces from a store that starts with a w and one was a rescue from a store with a p.

You'll find a huge variety of sources for goldfish used by the folks on here, everything from high-priced, show-quality fish obtained from top breeders to fish from the feeder tank at Petco, and everything in between. It's all about your budget, your tastes/preferences, interest level in the hobby, and what you personally are willing to spend. We love to hear about (and see pics/videos of) all of them!

For what it's worth, I've seen two-dollar baby ryukins from chain stores grow up to be huge-humped, beautiful beasts. And the ones that grow up a little wonky are beautiful in their own way. Like Mikey said, quarantine is crucial if you want to have the best chance at success, although I'd probably say "Any fish CAN be healthy," as opposed to his much more optimistic "WILL be healthy." ;)

I have seen some very nice ryukins at my petsmart and nice pearlscales at my petco. I own two ranchus from a mom and pop fish store in my area, And I own 2 east coast ranchus. East coast ranchu offers very nice quality and extremely healthy fish at a very fair affordable price [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I buy most of my fish at a very nice, independently owned local fish store.  However, Giniro is from Pet Supplies Plus, Ping is from Petco and Pong is from a Craigslist ad.  I can't afford to pay online prices plus shipping :rofl

I get many of mine from my personal fish supplier (aka Jared).  :rofl3

Actually, I've only gotten 2 fish from him.  The rest of mine have come from Petsmart (or fry from my Petsmart/Jared fish crosses :rofl ).

I am your official Ranchu supplier (Midwest Ranchu).  Your new fish is from my LFS :)

I got my Ryukin, and Calico Telescope from the same small Mom and Pop pet store

I got my Orange & White Fantail From the local Feed Store

My White Fantail is from PetSmart

My Black Moor & Orange Telescope are from Petco

Both of my current fish came from local petsmart, one of them had taken a detour to live at my uncles house for the first six months though (until my uncle realized how much work it was and that my cousins were NOT invested).  My first fish (pictured below) Edgar, was won at the Florida State Fair. I had her in a 10g tank with a tiny common feeder that died quickly, no filter and a nightmare of ich. Now she's in a friend's pond across the state with a couple of my other goldies that got too big for tank life. She is beautiful, I miss her much!!

dukeedgar2027.jpg

Most of my fish now are home bred "pond mutts."  Of those I've bought, the healthiest and most vigorous came from the feeder tanks at Petsmart.  It's important to find out  when the shipments come in because these aren't well cared for in the store.  If you go by percent of survivors, the next is Walmart, where I have purchased 3 shubunkins.  The first just faded away after spawning, and by the time I realized she was sick, it was too late.  The other two are in great shape at 4 years old.  I  guess the next best percentage is from Petco.  Their local stores typically have such sick fish that I only once couldn't resist getting two tiny pompoms.  the bigger and prettier one died in quarantine, and the other is one of my biggest fish at two years old.  After that comes the non-feeder fish from Petsmart.  I've had between 1/3 and 1/2 of these survive beyond three years.  The worst record was with expensive fish that were shipped from elsewhere.

The suggestion that any fish will be healthy if properly cared for is pretty silly.  We have obituaries for pampered fish every week.

I've gotten 2 (my chus) from east coast ranch (ECR) and my others from pet smart :D

I've gotten all my fish from petsmart, my pet, and aquarium illusions. None have really seemed sick to me.

I even took a bunch of feeders and raise them for a bit, before I gave two away and kept one. They were not even sick when I bought them home!!!i love the comet I still have!

The only fish I have lost thus far was one gold color fantail that jumped out of the back of my tank. That must have been a year ago now.

My oranda I have came from my pet, they still have some of his brothers and sister there....he has surpassed them in growth by leaps and bounds, kind of makes me wonder how old they really are when we purchase them. They look so different you wouldn't even say they came from the same spawn anymore.

• Helper

Let's see..

Tiger, Cali, Abraham and Tiny came from PetStock

Luka came from a really nice independent store, highly favoured in SA.

And Honey came from a Marine fish store that was just starting to dabble in goldies

Wow Mikey, I never would have guessed those last two were from WalMart! 

You can see some of my fish in my signature below. Lacey was dropped off at the LFS where I worked when her previous owner was being deployed overseas, and I decided that I wanted to make sure she went to a good home -- I don't know her origin beyond that. Trinket, Shimmer, and Velvet came from two of the local PetSmart stores near me. Shadow came from the BuyGoldfishOnline website. Tovi came from the RainGarden website. Goofball came from the Goldfishnet website. Clementine came from PetCo. I also have one other that came from PetCo, and one that I got from a breeder on Aquabid. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

• 1 month later...

I think with the big chain stores, it's less the name of the chain, & more who they have working for them currently. I'd investigate your local fish sources & see who has clean tanks & good looking fish. FWIW, the fish that we got on purpose (as opposed to those given to us) came from our local Petco.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporter

all my fish are from my local supplier who imports from our neighbouring countries, and a little further. it's hit and miss where it concerns fish health and life span. but you try your best to buy from shops who maintain good husbandry (and don't be afraid to ask their routines) and hope for the best.. 

it is wise to have a few days worth of fish meds in the cabinet in case of illness, should the need arise. treating symptoms as early as possible often brings good results.

My two biggest goldfish are from the adoption tank at Petco. Got lucky there. Most of the rest of my fish are also from Petco. No disappointments. The 2 most disappointing fish I have are fish that are from a big name breeder. One has a limp dorsal fin, the other spends a quarter of it's life nose slightly up and gulping after eating.

Not sure if the poster comes on here regularly.  Did you get your fish yet?

I have a Crowned Pearscale from Petco that I've had for 3 years.  He was just a little guy of about 1 1/2 inches in total length and now he's 7 inches.

I also have a Lemonhead Ranchu from East Coast Ranchu  and an Oranda from Raingarden.

I have two from my local Walmart, two from my LPS, and two ranchus with East Coast Ranchu. I didn't have one from Rain Garden but she passed away recently.. :(