Sign in to follow this  
Vinny_

Goldfish Fainting?

Hello everyone!

My ryukin lives in a 20 gallon long that is filtered and aerated, cycled, temp at 80F in summer months. I test the water every 2 days and everything looks pretty good- Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 10ppm. She eats very well, loves attention from her humans, and is constantly exploring.

The only thing thats off is she seems to "faint" a lot. She'll be swimming along and then slow down and will stop moving her fins or body, just sort of float there for a few seconds. Then she takes off again and so on. 

She doesnt have any other signs of illness- everything is normal. What do you think could be wrong with her?

Thanks so much!!

Hi Vinny, a video of the behaviour would help everyone see what you are describing :)

It doesn't sound too alarming as long as she maintains an upright position in the water.  As suggested above, a video of the behavior would be helpful :)

I imagine this is like how a person is not always walking or running, but rather stands still or sits sometimes. 

good news- she seems to have stopped this behaviour. Could have been she didn't rest well enough last night as the lights in the room were on (no one was home to turn them off) but looks like everything okay :) thanks so much for the replies! 

Im so happy to hear she stopped. Sometimes my goldfish will just stop and look around, like they fell asleep. Nothing ever came of it and Ive had them a very long time.

Glad to hear this :)