Sign in to follow this  
mickeyrom

Splain this to me Lusy,

Love the idea of recording a fish responding to their names. I've never tested it out, but I think only Lin would bother with it.

The others just get excited to hear me say anything. :rofl

I HEAR HER!! PERSON!!!

The AGA sanctions shows and judges.  Goldfish do not have pedigrees.  Typically breeders use two males with a female for spawning.  They are, however, often using linebred strains in which the members are so closely related, that breeders can recognize them as belonging to that strain.  

Goldfish varieties are not breeds as dog breeds are.  The goldfish belongs to the variety indicated by its phenotype.  The earliest characteristics breeders cull are deformities and fish that lack the characteristics of the variety their parents belong to.  The very exotic varieties with many mutations may produce mostly offspring that do not qualify as members of the parental variety.

What the hell do they do, flush the babies down the toilet?  Good thing that I have no interest in breeding.

Love the idea of recording a fish responding to their names. I've never tested it out, but I think only Lin would bother with it.

I HEAR HER!! PERSON!!!

I think somebody is just making this up. You couldn't train human children to behave that well. I would not even believe this if it were on a video, knowing that much can be done to create an illusion, like in special effects.

Edited by mickeyrom

The AGA sanctions shows and judges.  Goldfish do not have pedigrees.  Typically breeders use two males with a female for spawning.  They are, however, often using linebred strains in which the members are so closely related, that breeders can recognize them as belonging to that strain.  

Goldfish varieties are not breeds as dog breeds are.  The goldfish belongs to the variety indicated by its phenotype.  The earliest characteristics breeders cull are deformities and fish that lack the characteristics of the variety their parents belong to.  The very exotic varieties with many mutations may produce mostly offspring that do not qualify as members of the parental variety.

What the hell do they do, flush the babies down the toilet?  Good thing that I have no interest in breeding.

They likely euthanize them with clove oil, or put them in 'cull ponds.' Yeah, we cull.

I HEAR HER!! PERSON!!!

I think somebody is just making this up. You couldn't train human children to behave that well. I would not even believe this if it were on a video, knowing that much can be done to create an illusion, like in special effects.

You couldn't?

No, I am by no means making anything up. It actually is pretty insulting that you'd insinuate that. 

Edited by ChelseaM

They likely euthanize them with clove oil, or put them in 'cull ponds.' Yeah, we cull.

I HEAR HER!! PERSON!!!

You couldn't?

No, I am by no means making anything up. It actually is pretty insulting that you'd insinuate that. 

Let me see...you love goldfish, but you have no problem killing GF babies. Got it. About the trained fish scenario...I don't believe it, but because it is so far fetched. At the very least, it's an exaggeration

Lastly, I want to say goodbye..

Let me see...you love goldfish, but you have no problem killing GF babies. Got it. About the trained fish scenario...I don't believe it, but because it is so far fetched. At the very least, it's an exaggeration

Lastly, I want to say goodbye..

Culling is pretty much the norm with goldfish breeding. It's not something I like to do, but it's something that is required, since out of a batch of 100 fry you could have half that will not make it to week 5 due to malformities, then another few who develop swim bladder problems as fry, then even more who develop incorrectly in breed standard. It's honestly normal to wind up with a spawn in which you get 10 or 12 good babies. 

It's no exaggeration or far-fetched thing. I really do pride myself on not being a liar.

Mickeyrom, I just wanted to chime in though you may not be checking the thread any more.

I just want you to understand that the people here, especially the experts like ChelseaM, are really passionate about giving their fish the best possible environment. They really aren't trying to blame or shame newbies. I always found Koko's to be a friendly, welcoming, and helpful place, and I learned a lot here. That said:

I would hope everyone with a pet would want to give that pet the baseline of care that he or she needed to have a good life. Just the baseline! That's what I'm aiming for. What many of the experts here would prefer is that every pet, and every goldfish, got the exceptional care that would give them the chance to reach their full potential. Full potential, for a goldfish, really does mean the chance to grow to perhaps a foot long and to live for ten years or more. It really does mean having society - either fish or human or both. Goldfish CAN be trained; I have trained every one of my fish to eat from my hand. I know they can recognize and remember people. So I believe Chelsea when she tells me about her adventures in training. I think that's really cool!

Now, obviously, a fish isn't a dog or cat. But fish do have memories; they do have basic needs; they do have basic emotions. You can actually bond with them and interact with them.  

I hope Goldie is doing okay. Faramir fish is doing swimmingly right now! As to keeping nitrates down, he really wouldn't need more than a 20 percent change every week. His nitrates have never gone above 5ppm. But I learned here that more is better, because nitrates aren't all you have to worry about. You also have to worry about pH, and larger water changes help keep the pH from crashing. That's one reason why people here push large water changes. They really do help.

Let us know how Goldie is doing, and have fun with her! She can be fine in a smaller tank, provided it's well filtered, not too small, and you change enough water. 

Oh, Mickyrom, I am so sorry! You can ignore everything I just said - that is, until you get another goldie. I hope you will, since you were clearly trying to do the best you could for your fish.

Ouuu, I just wanna say "for the record"....I meant nothing negative with my requests to "SEE the video"!  I just REALLY WANNA SEE IT!! 

Ouuu, I just wanna say "for the record"....I meant nothing negative with my requests to "SEE the video"!  I just REALLY WANNA SEE IT!! 

I know you didn't Jenana. :heart And I will have them trained as well as my old fish were soon! They're already hand-feeding and it's only been a couple weeks. 

Interesting reading everyone's thoughts and opinions on this topic.