How to proceed with parasite treatment of new fish

I have 2 new fish in quarantine. One was from a tank in the store where he and a lot of the fish in with it were flashing, and the other fish has Anchor Worms and in a tank that previously had ICH at the store, she had a possible fish louse that I pulled off recently. No signs of ICH but I had the QT tank set at 80F and at .3 percent or salt added. Tomorrow is day 3 of this QT treatment.

There were no Anchor Worms on her when I got her, but there were some on her  several days before that when I first seen her in the store. Now she had 2 removed tonight by tweezers.

Questions I have is should I finish the week of .3 salt and 80F temps, or should I change it now that one had new anchor worms showing up on her now?

If so how much salt now? Should I Prazi them at the same time as I treat with the Dimilin?

The measuring spoons I wanted to order are now out of stock as messaged to me by the seller. I measured 1/8 teaspoon of water and drew it into a syringe to see how much it measured. Sorry I don't know what the lines are called between the mL markings, but it measured at 2 lines above the 1/2 mL mark. So If I use the syringe to measure out the Dimilin, what mark shall I draw it to? I was told it should be a little less than 1/8 teaspoon so what would that be using the syringe?

I never treated for anything other than precautionary new fish flukes so I want to do this the right way with these other parasites.

Pics of the Anchor Worms that I removed tonight by the points of the tweezers:

102_4485%202.jpg

How I measured out 1/8 teaspoon in syringe:

102_4488%202.jpg

I would wait for the mods for clarification, but I treated prazi and then dimilin separate. I'm not sure if they can be used at the same time. I think since you've pulled off the anchor worms the fish should be okay for now -- you can probably do the prazi first and then do the dimilin after you do the water changes following prazi. 

I would actually handle the anchor worms first since we know they are present.  Just use a 1/8 Teaspoon dosage.  Dimilin is non-toxic to Goldfish.  I also recommend continuing the 0.3% salt while treating with the Dimilin.  After this is done, reduce the salt to 0.1% and begin Prazi rounds.  You are using Prazipro liquid, correct?

I would actually handle the anchor worms first since we know they are present.  Just use a 1/8 Teaspoon dosage.  Dimilin is non-toxic to Goldfish.  I also recommend continuing the 0.3% salt while treating with the Dimilin.  After this is done, reduce the salt to 0.1% and begin Prazi rounds.  You are using Prazipro liquid, correct?

Yes I have the liquid PraziPro.

The Dimilin says reapply after 3 to 5 days after the first dose. It doesn't say anything about water changes in between so does that mean I don't need to do any water changes during the Dimilin treatment? Also, would 2 separate doses do the job in killing all the Anchor Worms? I read that they are difficult to get rid of :idont

Should I do a water change before starting the Dimilin? If so how much?

When I used dimilin at the fish store I worked at, it seemed two doses killed them off. If you want to be safe you could do three -- it is a very safe medication and takes a lot before it's overdosed from everything I've read about it. We did 25% water changes in between, but that was partly because of the high stocking levels. 

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Yes I have the liquid PraziPro.

The Dimilin says reapply after 3 to 5 days after the first dose. It doesn't say anything about water changes in between so does that mean I don't need to do any water changes during the Dimilin treatment? Also, would 2 separate doses do the job in killing all the Anchor Worms? I read that they are difficult to get rid of :idont

Should I do a water change before starting the Dimilin? If so how much?

I would do a large water change before you dose the Dimilin and another one right before the second dose.  It wouldn't hurt to do a few rounds to make sure the larvae are dead.  You also need to watch for secondary bacterial infections and have antibiotics handy.

I did a water change and added back the salt to 0.3% for what I took out. I made sure to shake the bottle of Dimilin really well for 30 seconds like the directions say to do. I added 1/8 teaspoon to the QT tank and all seems well with the Med in there so far so I fed them and they are happy :)

The tank water smells weird now, kind of like how it does when I add Prazi. :thumbdown  At least I can't smell it unless my face is close to the tank like I do when I watch them eating.

The directions say I can do another dose in 3 to 5 days, what one sounds better to do, after 3 days or after 5 days?

The directions say I can do another dose in 3 to 5 days, what one sounds better to do, after 3 days or after 5 days?

What temperature is the water?

Water is at 80 degrees right now

I would do it 4 days after :)

I would do it 4 days after :)

Oh yeah, I would have never thought of just going with the number right in the middle! You are so helpful, Thank You!! :D

I didn't see it in person, but in the pictures I took of Tricycle and Fudgsicle today, I see new white spots. Not sure if they are new little Anchor Worms starting to grow :idont  I did a WC today, added salt back to 0.3% and added the 2nd dose of 1/8 teaspoon of Dimilin, keeping temp at 80F still.

I circled the white things that appear in the same place in several pictures. Maybe Fudgsicle has them too now :no:

e083d653-7b82-46db-86a2-44f14791a1f4.jpg

It could be juvenile Anchor Worms.  Keep an eye on them and keep the salt and Dimilin going.  I think you should do more than 2 rounds of Dimilin.

Ugh! Are they ever going to die? :wall  OK Yes I will do 3 rounds then, because the bottle says no more than 3 in a month. I hope it kills them off by then! I'll keep an eye on those spots if I manage to find them with my poor eyesight :teehee They are definitely too small to pull them off still.

Ok today I did a big water change, added back salt to 0.3% and added the last dose of Dimilin at 1/8th teaspoon. Water a bit warmer today at 82F because of warm house lately.

I don't see the one big white dot that was on Tricycle last time but Fudgsicle has a bunch of little white dots on him this time. Not sure what it is really.

Fudgsicle:

102_4548%202.jpg

Ok today I did a big water change, added back salt to 0.3% and added the last dose of Dimilin at 1/8th teaspoon. Water a bit warmer today at 82F because of warm house lately.

I don't see the one big white dot that was on Tricycle last time but Fudgsicle has a bunch of little white dots on him this time. Not sure what it is really.

Fudgsicle:

102_4548%202.jpg

The salt and Dimilin should take care of it.  Keep the salt at 0.3%.

Just looking ahead....How long should I let the Dimilin sit in the tank before the next water change now, 4 days like last time?

And after a WC, Keep it at 0.3 and add nothing else till we see what is happening with the parasites?

I was thinking that if they still had spots,  I probably should not start the 0.1% salt and Prazi in 4 days right?

Edited by Fish Of Gold

Just looking ahead....How long should I let the Dimilin sit in the tank before the next water change now, 4 days like last time?

And after a WC, Keep it at 0.3 and add nothing else till we see what is happening with the parasites?

I was thinking that if they still had spots,  I probably should not start the 0.1% salt and Prazi in 4 days right?

Yes, unless you need to change the water because of ammonia and/or nitrite.  

Yes, just 0.3% salt and Dimilin.

Correct, keep the salt at 0.3% until 10 days after the last spot disappears.  

Yes, unless you need to change the water because of ammonia and/or nitrite.  

Yes, just 0.3% salt and Dimilin.

Correct, keep the salt at 0.3% until 10 days after the last spot disappears.  

Oh wow 10 days after the last spot disappears? Guess I'm in this for the LONG haul this time while QTing these goldies! :rolleyes:

Eh, it is worth it in the long run, I love these 2 so much already :wub: