How to make your Fluval Spec Tank Betta friendly

jmetzger72

I recently bought the Fluval Spec V nano tank for my Betta.  I love this tank, but the intake grill and outflow pipe are way too strong for a Betta.  To remedy this, I recommend two products that I have found:

First, cut a block of Petco black filter foam and place into the space just above the Fluval sponge block.  This will reduce the suction a bit and keep the Bettas fins from being pulled through the grill.  It also acts as a large particle prefilter.  

20150410_210305-1.jpg

Second, connect the Two Little Fishies 1/2 inch ball valve to the outflow tube.  You will need to cut out a section of the tube.  The ball valve can be adjusted to regulate the outflow as desired.  

20150409_215711-1.jpg

Some people just put a Fluval prefilter sponge over the outflow pipe, but this kills any surface agitation which results in a stagnant tank.  Others put a small piece of sponge inside the outflow pipe, but he sponge becomes clogged after a while.  I think the valve is a better, more adjustable and permanent option.

The other nice thing about these two products is that they both fit inside the filter portion of the tank where they are unseen and don't take up tank space.  Once these modifications are made, this makes a great looking and hospitable tank for a Betta.  Total Cost = $10 :)

Have you posted a pic yet of the finished tank? Would love to see! If I'm remembering right, you got that stunning snow-white betta. At, like, PetSmart or something, which is unreal.

Still a work in progress.  Real Marimos are on their way :)

20150408_235808-1.jpg

Lovely tank, Jared. :D

You may find with time and small gradual changes he'll get used to more current. My betta is in a tank with a canister, but over say 8 months he's been weaned off a spray bar and on to the return pipe itself at half strength, 3/4 strength and so on. He's managed all of those fine. I've recently (within the last week) increased it to full strength and he seems okay so far. I'm watching him like a tiger mum though. :rofl

• 1 year later...

No worries. I saw a YouTube video about the same model of aquarium - he put a few holes into the tubing of the filter to slow the flow for his Betta. I'm assuming this would work just as well?

Edited by Caretta Rose

• 2 weeks later...

No worries. I saw a YouTube video about the same model of aquarium - he put a few holes into the tubing of the filter to slow the flow for his Betta. I'm assuming this would work just as well?

I tried the holes in the tubing thing and personally it didn't really work for me. I just rubber banded some filter floss over the output to disperse the flow and that seems to work, but I still have an issues where my stupid betta likes to sleep against the intake :madrant  grill and then his fins get sucked in a little bit while he's sleeping and they end up all raggedy looking. So I need to find a solution for that.