Is a pH difference 7.2 to 7.6 dangerous

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to work out if I did something to contribute to a recent sudden death of one of my goldfish. Jared asked me about the difference between my tap water and tank water pH. I have waited now two days since my last water change of 90% and the tank water pH is 7.2 the tap water is 7.6. Is this difference large enough to hurt a goldfish?

I also contacted Sydney Water our water supply authority to ask if there have been any changes in how the local water is being treated or if there have been any burst pipes, etc that could change the water I am receiving. The answer was no but I was told they do occasionally add extra chlorine to the water if they spot a problem. I use Prime as my water ager so this should not be a problem.

I have been thinking of using extra Prime during my water changes do you think this would be beneficial? Especially now that I know that sometimes extra Chlorine is added to the water supply?

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to work out if I did something to contribute to a recent sudden death of one of my goldfish. Jared asked me about the difference between my tap water and tank water pH. I have waited now two days since my last water change of 90% and the tank water pH is 7.2 the tap water is 7.6. Is this difference large enough to hurt a goldfish?

I also contacted Sydney Water our water supply authority to ask if there have been any changes in how the local water is being treated or if there have been any burst pipes, etc that could change the water I am receiving. The answer was no but I was told they do occasionally add extra chlorine to the water if they spot a problem. I use Prime as my water ager so this should not be a problem.

I have been thinking of using extra Prime during my water changes do you think this would be beneficial? Especially now that I know that sometimes extra Chlorine is added to the water supply?

That isn't enough of a pH shift to hurt your fish, especially when going from lower to higher, but avoid instant shifts above 0.5, particulary from higher to lower.  

You probably need to know what percentage of extra chlorine they add to determine whether more Prime is necessary.  It couldn't hurt, though.

Thanks Jared. One of my fish is now hovering in the top corner in the quiet part of the tank. He will perk up if I go near the tank and ate some peas happily this morning but I am concerned he may be  unwell. I am going to start the Prazi treatment as I have never done one. The guy at the LFS said the fish had come from quarantine and should not have flukes but someone on another part of this forum said flukes are really common and I should treat for them.

Thanks Jared. One of my fish is now hovering in the top corner in the quiet part of the tank. He will perk up if I go near the tank and ate some peas happily this morning but I am concerned he may be  unwell. I am going to start the Prazi treatment as I have never done one. The guy at the LFS said the fish had come from quarantine and should not have flukes but someone on another part of this forum said flukes are really common and I should treat for them.

I would use salt at 0.1% along with the Prazi to stave off secondary bacterial infections that may result from the flukes releasing their hooks.

Thanks again Jared, I am going to do a water change before I start.

I have a 300 liter tank. So can I just run by my calculations by you? 0.1% equals 1/1000 I think. Each liter has 1000 milliliters so I would need 1 gram of salt for each liter in my tank. 300 liter tank = 300 grams of salt.

Should I put the salt in for a few hours before beginning the Prazi treatment?

Thanks again Jared, I am going to do a water change before I start.

I have a 300 liter tank. So can I just run by my calculations by you? 0.1% equals 1/1000 I think. Each liter has 1000 milliliters so I would need 1 gram of salt for each liter in my tank. 300 liter tank = 300 grams of salt.

Should I put the salt in for a few hours before beginning the Prazi treatment?

Yes, 0.1% salt is 1 gram per liter.  Make sure to dissolve it in some water before adding it to the tank  :)

Hi Again, the best I could manage with the Prazi was to grind the tablets into a powder and soak it in aquarium water in a bowl for a while. Will it eventually completely dissolve or does it stay as a suspension in the tank water?