What is normal behaviour for a Goldfish

Hi Everyone,

I am on holidays at the moment and I am spending a lot of time watching my goldfish. A lot of the day they are active but I have noticed that part of the day one will sit just above the bottom of the tank next to a fern. Another will hover at the surface of the tank seemly eating something that I cannot see.

Another will hover just under the surface of the tank on one of the corners where the water is very still.

If I go near the tank there is a flurry of activity from all three fish. I realised today that I am not sure what is normal behaviour - should the fish be constantly swimming about and looking for food all day?

Hovering is probably normal, especially if they go wild when they see you.

My fish are all terribly naughty things, so I'm the last to give advice on proper fish behavior. I hope you enjoy your vacation!

I do have two internal power filters in the tank, I have the return pipe aimed at the glass walls to spread out the flow to reduce the current. Maybe I should experiment a bit to see if I can reduce the current even more. The fish do use all the tank most of the time. I worry that they seem so fragile and seem to get into trouble very quickly. I have never done a treatment for flukes as the fish have never exhibited any of the symptoms for this parasite. But ready the posts here I notice that some people do this treatment as a matter of course when they start a tank or a before they add a new fish. Is this something you think I should do? Would it make my fish more hardy after the treatment?

I do have two internal power filters in the tank, I have the return pipe aimed at the glass walls to spread out the flow to reduce the current. Maybe I should experiment a bit to see if I can reduce the current even more. The fish do use all the tank most of the time. I worry that they seem so fragile and seem to get into trouble very quickly. I have never done a treatment for flukes as the fish have never exhibited any of the symptoms for this parasite. But ready the posts here I notice that some people do this treatment as a matter of course when they start a tank or a before they add a new fish. Is this something you think I should do? Would it make my fish more hardy after the treatment?

Your current is probably fine, then :)

Flukes are so common that we recommend treating new fish with a several rounds of Prazi and then doing one or two maintenance rounds every 6 months or so.  Flukes are hard to eradicate, so we just strive to keep their numbers low enough that the fish don't succumb to them.

OK I have bought the Fluke treatment that contains Praziquantel. I think I had better start the treatment. It is the only thing I have not tried to keep my fish safe and healthy. The dosage instructions say 1 tablet per 20 liters, then after two days change 25% of the water and repeat treatment. I think I will do another water change before I start the treatment though. I just checked the pH of my tap water and it is 7.6, the tank water is 7.2. Is that a big enough different to cause a problem with my goldfish?

OK I have bought the Fluke treatment that contains Praziquantel. I think I had better start the treatment. It is the only thing I have not tried to keep my fish safe and healthy. The dosage instructions say 1 tablet per 20 liters, then after two days change 25% of the water and repeat treatment. I think I will do another water change before I start the treatment though. I just checked the pH of my tap water and it is 7.6, the tank water is 7.2. Is that a big enough different to cause a problem with my goldfish?

The pH difference is fine.

I would use salt at 0.1% with the Prazi.

I think being cruisy for part of the day is pretty natural for nearly all FW fish kept in an aquarium for some time. They aren't hunting for food all day and the constant stress of being on the lookout for a predator is absent and they learn that life is easy.