Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

The Bucket to Bucket Method

Oftentimes, we suggest using the bucket to bucket method when QTing a fish, whether it's a new fish or a current fish that is sick. Occasionally when we recommend this method, people ask what we are talking about :blink: . Since I just got a new fish, I thought I would do a quick post on what's involved.

You will need 2 tanks (or buckets), 2 airstones, water conditioner and any meds needed. You may need a heater (or two) if your treatment includes raising the tank temp. You will also need a very patient spouse, roommate, children as it kind of puts a damper on things in the kitchen if you set up like I do. :rofl3

Tank #1 (on the left). This is the tank that I just moved the fish out of. I removed the fish and water and rinsed the tank out. Depending on why you're QTing, you may want to sterilize the tank at this point with bleach or potassium permanganate. I then fill the tank and add the airstone.

image_zpsmzayr7r3.jpg

Tank #2 (on the right). I just moved the fish into the tank. I added Prime and am dissolving salt in a knee high pantyhose. :teehee Because the tank has been sitting out for 24 hours, the temp and pH are matched perfectly. If I was treating with anything besides salt, I would add those meds also.

image_zpsmrvdhwds.jpg

Here is the set up from farther away

image_zpsyvdndxzw.jpg

And here is my newbie in QT. :heart

image_zpszwdllwe4.jpg

Here is the salt, dissolving.

image_zpsumpsoyuw.jpg

Please note: I use this method if I am using a 10 gallon or smaller. If I'm using a bigger QT for larger fish, I typically will do large daily WCs and/or add a filter depending on the reason for QTing. Also, notice I have the tanks on a towel. Tomorrow when it's time to move new fishie, I will transfer him/her over to tank #1 and empty out tank #2. I will then slide tank #1 with fish over to where tank #2 currently is so that the empty tank can be rinsed and easily filled with the faucet hose.

:D

Nice job, Lisa!  This is a great method as it causes the fish very little stress :)

Love it, Lisa!  Thanks for sharing! :D

You will need 2 tanks (or buckets), 2 airstones, water conditioner and any meds needed. You may need a heater (or two) if your treatment includes raising the tank temp. You will also need a very patient spouse, roommate, children as it kind of puts a damper on things in the kitchen if you set up like I do. :rofl3

I guess we could say this is Lisa's "Bucket List" :rofl

uPunny!

:doh11:

Ya know what else is on my Bucket List, Mr Punny?  :bat:

:tomuch: