significant pH jump from tap water

High nitrate can also lower the pH.

You could pick out about a dozen of the bigger ones for your filtered 36 gallon.  What are the dimensions of your rubbermaid  bins?  If they are shallow they can hold a lot of little fish. 

High nitrate can also lower the pH.

You could pick out about a dozen of the bigger ones for your filtered 36 gallon.  What are the dimensions of your rubbermaid  bins?  If they are shallow they can hold a lot of little fish. 

Sorry for the slow reply!

I have moved some of the larger fry into a 10 gallon tank for now.  I actually have a couple more bins than I thought I had that could be used. -  one at 15" x 22" x 11" tall and two more at 14" x 18" x 15" tall.

I think some of the larger fry (1+")are large enough to be in the pond...and its nice and warm out so I might pick up a few extra plants for them to hide in and move em over.  They are thicker bodied goldfish so I think they'll fare well.

I also have not made arrangements for homes for any yet...I would love to keep them all, but our pond is only 600 gallons and already have about a dozen in there.  If need be, I'll buy a small stock tank for them.  

An update:  I don't know what was going on with my water a few days ago...the pH is still up about 8.2 out of the tap - which is higher than normal, its been 7.2 or so for as long as I can remember - but it has stabilized.  It is no longer changing.  I also tested the KH using API 5 in 1 test strips and it was between 80 & 120.

I'm going to retest again tomorrow and see if everything is the same - if not, I'll post the results to see what to do next :)

Thanks!!