significant pH jump from tap water

So my tap water has had a pretty consistent pH level around 7.2 for as long as I can remember except maybe going up 0.1-0.2 after a rainfall.  For approximately the last 2 weeks the water has tested at 8.6-8.8 on the API master test kit high range pH scale.  I have checked this from multiple taps and with 2 different test kits.

What are some more natural ways to bring down pH?  I'd rather not go buy even more chemicals to put into my aquariums if I don't have to.

TYIA!!

KH is not hardness.  That's GH.  KH is carbonate hardness/alkalinity.  See if you can find a water report from your city.  It seems like we've had this conversation before.  :tomuch:

Maybe that was someone else. . . . . :idont

Would it be "hardness as CaCO3?" 

Probably, although it should indicate total or magnesium (total hardness in mg/l as CaCO3 and a magnesium hardness in mg/l as CaCO3 are different)

I wouldn't worry too much about the pH being so high.  You want your KH to be at least 100.  As long as your pH is 8.6-8.8 and staying there, your GF will be fine.  If it drops to 7.4 in 24 hours, then it's a problem . . . .  Have you tested it 24 hours after a WC?  :idont

Good morning!

So I'm completely confused by all of this.  Please bear with me, I know I'm probably frustrating.

This morning I've tested the water in my QT tank  pH = 8.2, ammonia = 1.0, nitrites = 0, nitrates = 0

Is that small drop in pH ok?  

What I'm confused about is the ammonia levels.  My tap water always has ammonia in it, usually in the 0.25 range on the API master test kit chart.  Right now, the tap water looks more like 1.0 if not a bit higher, but still less than 2.0.  I gave a double dose of prime to try to account for this.  Am I still seeing a reading 24 hours later because its an uncycled QT tank?  Do I need to be concerned about this?

Everyone seems just fine except the young betta in QT that is looking pale this morning.

From 8.6-8.6 to 8.2 is ok but if it drops farther that's not.  Like I said a pH of 8.2 is fine as long as it's stable but if it's dropping, even if it drops to a "safe" range, that is stressful for the fish.  If I was you, I'd pick up a KH test kit and raise the KH with baking soda.  A dropping pH along with all that ammonia is stressful . . .

If your tap water is at 1.0ish, then doing a WC isn't going to help if your tank is about there also.  Double dosing Prime is the best thing at this point.  Who is in QT and why?  :idont

I have a young betta in QT.  He's new to our home.  My H came home with him after a trip to walmart and found him half dead in brown water with his fins all falling off...he had words for the manager, and told them he was taking the fish and wasn't paying for it...surprisingly they just let him.

I actually suspect he was put into a cup with another fish...his fins look torn, not frayed, and he has what look like mouth shaped marks on his face.   :(  There were also fin fragments in there that were not the same color as the fish.  Ugh.

I'll go pick a KH test up this afternoon and see where it reads.

Edited by Reds12

Reds12, you might consider getting one of these:

http://familybedrock.com/category/garden-hose-filter

You and I live in the same area, and I found that it was the best way to get the tap water stable for the aquarium. I put the water though this filter into buckets and then use the regular dose of water conditioner/Prime. It will keep the ammonia from getting in your tank because it takes enough out that the WC can work properly. You can use it for your pond too, it just won't work AS good as it does when you put the water into buckets first because it can't get the ammonia down to 0. Also, it lasts forever. I don't suggest you wait until 10,000 gallons to replace (which is how long it says it lasts) as our water is extremely hard and uses up the carbon faster, but somewhere around 6,000 - 8,000 is still a lot of filtering for one item. :) I had noticeable health changed in my fish after beginning to use this thing. 

Also, do you know what water district you are on? I haven't noticed as big a jump in the PH as you are seeing. Mine seems to be sitting around 7.8.

Edited by goldfishgirl82

Reds12, you might consider getting one of these:

http://familybedrock.com/category/garden-hose-filter

You and I live in the same area, and I found that it was the best way to get the tap water stable for the aquarium. I put the water though this filter into buckets and then use the regular dose of water conditioner/Prime. It will keep the ammonia from getting in your tank because it takes enough out that the WC can work properly. You can use it for your pond too, it just won't work AS good as it does when you put the water into buckets first because it can't get the ammonia down to 0. Also, it lasts forever. I don't suggest you wait until 10,000 gallons to replace (which is how long it says it lasts) as our water is extremely hard and uses up the carbon faster, but somewhere around 6,000 - 8,000 is still a lot of filtering for one item. :) I had noticeable health changed in my fish after beginning to use this thing. 

Also, do you know what water district you are on? I haven't noticed as big a jump in the PH as you are seeing. Mine seems to be sitting around 7.8.

That thing is pretty cool, and for that price point, definitely worth giving it a go.  A lot more cost efficient than buying my water ;)  My water is from the escondido-vista water plant. I'm having a hard time trusting the above table since that was from the 2013 collected date.  They won't release the data from 2014 until sometime closer to july apparently.  Not so helpful.  Where is your water from?

That thing is pretty cool, and for that price point, definitely worth giving it a go.  A lot more cost efficient than buying my water ;)  My water is from the escondido-vista water plant. I'm having a hard time trusting the above table since that was from the 2013 collected date.  They won't release the data from 2014 until sometime closer to july apparently.  Not so helpful.  Where is your water from?

Yeah, it's not super helpful when it's well over a year old and things can change in that amount of time. :( My water apparently comes from two areas, City of San Diego and Olivenhain. Which the second one seems strange to me because it's all the way up in Encinitas, and I'm closer to Poway. But, one thing I've learned is not to try and make sense of things here, it makes my head hurt.  :teehee

Oh, I recommend if you buy that filter to get a quick release connector for your hose. They're real cheap at the hardware store and make it so you don't wreck the threads on the end which is plastic.

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I went to go pick up a test to check the KH in the tanks yesterday and the place I went was out of them.  I didn't have time to go to another store (my fault for not giving myself more time but I honestly didn't expect them to be out) so I didn't end up picking one up.

Last night I went to do a weekly water change on my goldie tank and when I went to test the water the chemistry was off...which is weird because its always in pretty decent shape even when due for a water change.  It wasn't horrible though and I'm suspecting the denitrate I keep in the filters was exhausted so I've swapped it out with fresh. (pH 8.2, amm 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 20-40 - this morning pH 8.0, amm 0 < 0.25, nitrite 0, nitrate 0 < 5.0)

I also decided to check the water in my other tanks while I was at it...HOLY COW.  My fry tank was horrible, which I don't understand since I do water changes every couple of days now that they're filtered...and my betta QT water was not as good as I would have expected either.

Fry Tank - pH 7.6 (down from 8.2 a couple of days ago), ammonia 1.0, nitrite 5.0+, nitrate 40 < 80 (but closer to 80 on the color chart)

last water change a couple days ago @ approx 90% treated with a double dose of prime

approx 30 fry, 7-9 weeks old, 36 gallons with 200 GPH filtration, no substrate

Betta QT - pH 8.2, amm 1.0, nitrite 0, nitrate 2.5 < 5.0

last water change 2 days ago at approx 90%

1 small betta, 10 gallons, 200 GPH filtration, no substrate

I lost a handful of fry overnight - the betta looks happy and nice and rich in color, and my goldfish seem to be acting normal but I'll have to see a bit later (they're usually quiet in the morning so I'll have to see if they perk up when they normally do.)

The LFS close to me that I know will have the test kits isn't open until 10:30, so I thought before I go, I'd check and see based off this information if there is anything else I should be going for.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)

How big are your fry (standard length)?  It looks like they need a bigger tank and definitely less food.

Most of them are about 3/4" including tail.  I have another 10gallon tank, plus a couple of 47L rubbermaid bins, but I don't have anymore filters. 

I agree with Sharon.  Time for more room for the fry.  And much less food until you are able to split them up.  Those numbers are toxic.

Your pH is dropping indicating your KH is low which we will know soon enough.  And I don't remember for sure but you have ammonia in your tap, right?  :idont

Standard length means without tail.  I don't use filtration with fry that aren't big enough to put in a tank with the big guys.  I keep them in cheap, shallow tubs, of which I have some extras so I can do 100% water changes every other day.   Have you made arrangements for rehoming?   It's either that or a 600 gallon pond. :)