Sign in to follow this  
2fancies

Fluval FX6

Is the FX6 adequate for a 75 gallon ? I'm getting different answers on flow rate 500+, or pump rate 900+ per hour. Anyone have one ?

My opinion is that it will probably be fine, but depends on your stocking level.

A FX6 runs 935gph with no media in the filter, hence why they call it pump rate. Once you add media, you can expect a drop to the flow rate. I think this is why you keep finding different answers as to how much it puts out.

Either way, though, it seems adequate to me. 

I have one on my 50 UK (or 60 US) gallon tank. It's a very powerful filter, I'm sure it will be more than adequate for a 75 gallon. A member on here called Lis has two FX5s (similar flow rate, just older model) on her 180 gallon tank and as far as I know has no complaints with them.

I have the FX5 running on my 85 gallons tank (325 liters) along side my other canister filter (eheim knockoff called AM-TOP). Having this running for less than two hours, my water was PERFECT, where it before was nowhere near the same quality.

Just based on this experience, I just ordered two FX6. One to my other 85G and one for my 124 gallon tank. Very impressed with the power and filtration it gives.

Thanks for tips. I got it setup yesterday on my new 75. So far so good. I do have a few extra filters if needed. When my daughter saw the new set up she said , "wow it's looks like the real peoples tanks" (we watch YouTube videos together), lol.

Thanks for tips. I got it setup yesterday on my new 75. So far so good. I do have a few extra filters if needed. When my daughter saw the new set up she said , "wow it's looks like the real peoples tanks" (we watch YouTube videos together), lol.

Haha :) sweet :)

Without knowing your stocking levels, I think you are good with the FX6 on the 75G. But adding a small filter for extra circulation isn't a bad idea. The only reason I run two filters on my 85G, is to cycle the new FX5 :)

Hello.

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to ask.  Do you find the current to much with the FX5 or FX6?

I have the Eheim Pro 3 2075 and a Aquaclear 70 which unless I point the spraybar towards the glass, my goldies find it too much current-wise.

I've always wanted to run an fx5/6 but just wasn't sure as the output is much higher than my Eheim.

I have a FX5 and a FX6 running on my 175 gallon tank and have no problem with too much current for my fish. They are big fish, but they get used to the current pretty fast.

Sorry.  Forgot to say I only have a 80 gallon tank.

Sorry.  Forgot to say I only have a 80 gallon tank.

I have a FX6 running on a 85 gallon tank. Works like a charm.

Wow. Awesome.. I'll definitely look into one.

That would be an adequate filter for a tank stocked at the recommended level (1 fish per 15-20 gallons).

This is an off the wall suggestion but I wish I'd known before buying my canisters - have you looked into running *just* sponge filtration or a matten wall instead of a canister? Powered by airstone or powerhead, I'm increasingly of the opinion that these, combined with water changes and syphoning debris, are the best filtration for goldfish with the least amount of problems (buildup, high current, etc).

Check out this article before you purchase a canister.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/sponge_filtration.html

I am running sponges in all but one of my tanks and have dismantled much of my other filtration, and been very, very happy with the stability of my water chemistry and the cleanliness of my tanks. Since I take care of mechanical cleanup when I change my water, and the sponges do indeed have a decent mechanical filtration capacity in additon to their immense biofiltration, the only thing I gained in purchasing two huge canisters was a big expense and a filter that I find difficult to clean as often as it requires to keep my bio load down and things running their best. I'd even go so far as to say I made a *mistake* in purchasing my canisters, precisely because maintenance is a pain for comparably small gains in filter capacity, and I'm always battling the current with my goldies.

This is very individual and everyone has a favorite filtration style, but after doing HOB and then canister for most of my fish keeping, I'm a convert to the humble sponge.

I just checked my stand and it won't fit where I need it to...its much to large.

I'll stick with my Eheim and aqua clear.  Just like tinkering when I really shouldn't.   :teehee 

I like the Eheim for ease of use and how well it keeps the params in check.  I use the aqua clear for polishing the water.

That would be an adequate filter for a tank stocked at the recommended level (1 fish per 15-20 gallons).

This is an off the wall suggestion but I wish I'd known before buying my canisters - have you looked into running *just* sponge filtration or a matten wall instead of a canister? Powered by airstone or powerhead, I'm increasingly of the opinion that these, combined with water changes and syphoning debris, are the best filtration for goldfish with the least amount of problems (buildup, high current, etc).

Check out this article before you purchase a canister.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/sponge_filtration.html

I am running sponges in all but one of my tanks and have dismantled much of my other filtration, and been very, very happy with the stability of my water chemistry and the cleanliness of my tanks. Since I take care of mechanical cleanup when I change my water, and the sponges do indeed have a decent mechanical filtration capacity in additon to their immense biofiltration, the only thing I gained in purchasing two huge canisters was a big expense and a filter that I find difficult to clean as often as it requires to keep my bio load down and things running their best. I'd even go so far as to say I made a *mistake* in purchasing my canisters, precisely because maintenance is a pain for comparably small gains in filter capacity, and I'm always battling the current with my goldies.

This is very individual and everyone has a favorite filtration style, but after doing HOB and then canister for most of my fish keeping, I'm a convert to the humble sponge.

Love to see pics of your tanks with the sponge filters on just to get a perspective of how many you have per tank and fish stocking etc.