Anubias with Holes

Josie

Hey everyone.  So I recently started a 10 gallon community tank, and I put several types of plants in it.  Most of the plants are doing well, except two of my anubias are getting holes in the leaves, and some of them look like their leaves have been chewed off.  What does this mean?  I use flourish 1-2x per week and I dose with excel daily.  Also there are a fair amount of brown diatoms.  The tank is stocked with 7 neon tetras, 2 platys, and one nerite snail.  In the second picture you can see a narrow type of anubias in the foreground where it looks like part of the leaf was chewed off.  The holes are happening only on the anubias species with broader, rounder leaves.

sMbnPHX.jpg

aLQjoIm.jpg

Were the leaves out of water at any time? I just had that happen to my almost all of my plants... Only out of water a short amount of time,I had to cut most of them to just the rhizome.

Plant leaves don't heal so you can just rip those off if you don't want to see them.

Another possibility aside from what Daniel said is nutrient deficiency which can be easily solved by dosing a comprehensive fertiliser.

Is the seachem flourish comprehensive? If it is the snail, is he making the small holes or is he chewing off the sides of the leaves, or could he be doing both?

• Supporter

Is the seachem flourish comprehensive? If it is the snail, is he making the small holes or is he chewing off the sides of the leaves, or could he be doing both?

Mine did this when I first got them.

Ok. I will try to wipe the algea off the leaves before the snail eats them all :) I already add flourish, which has iron in it...

I cant remember if I bleached these ones or not, I may have. So I will just have to wait for new leaves and see if those ones get holes too. Hmmmm. In the meantime I will remove the holey leaves :)

I usually leave some of the least messed up ones as well, but this time I wanted to see how long it would take for EVERYTHING to come back. :rofl

So I just did a water change and I noticed that the roots of the affected anubias were all rotting away!  I removed damaged leaves and any mushy parts of the rhizomes.   For now I floated the remaining parts.  What causes root rot, and is there anything else I can do?  It's not something that spreads to other plants, is it???