New planted tank.

LouiseAnn

Hello everyone. So I'm attempting a new planted aquarium.

I need some help with aquascape substrate and my goldfish. I have purchased iorn sand and some fluvel volcanic soil. Just want to know if I need to cap this or is it safe for my fish to sift through?

Also has anyone had any luck maintaining an aquascape mound supported with stone?

Is the soil Fluval Stratum? Soils are generally pretty safe, they're just fired clay and dirt. The only thing to watch for is whether there is a nutrient dump over the first few weeks.

I have experience with mounds and stone. Gravity will always win out, so expect things to shift with time. It's a bit hard to explain how to do, but there are two techniques and I'll post two videos below. The one Amano uses is simply stacking stones and pouring dirt in behind them. If you have large enough stones like he does this isn't a problem and will stay secure. The other way is to use substrate supports (something as simple as strips of cut up chinese containers will work). I've done both and my slopes seem to last longer with the supports.

Stacked stones.

Substrate supports.

Yeah that's the one [emoji3] I do have big enough rocks... I might use some other support too. I'll have a few weeks overlap to get the new tank settled.

Oh so exited!

Thank you for the videos