Strange Question about Prime

• Supporter

Last time I went to buy Prime, I noticed a small white sticker on the label, covering up some of the text...Soon I realized it was on every bottle of prime, at every store I went to buy it from...The text that has been covered up is the part that says "Provides Slime Coat"

Does anyone know why they would suddenly be hiding this on their labels? (Also I had no idea where to put this so move if it's in the wrong spot @_@)

Bwd8kTVl.jpg

Edited by FishyMandy

Hmmm I don't know. Maybe they changed the formula? :idont  The bottle that I bought a few months ago didn't have any stickers on the bottle. But I will be going to the pet stores tomorrow and I am going to look because now I'm curious :teehee

• Supporter

Someone in a facebook group I'm a part of realized the same thing, but apparently others outside of Australia haven't had stickers on theirs @_@ I sent Seachem a message about it too

Prime doesn't "provide slime coat,"  although Seachem says it "promotes the production of slime coat".  It sounds like someone objected to the wording on the bottle and it was cheaper to block out the incorrect statement than it was to make all new bottles.

Edited by shakaho

• Supporter

Prime doesn't "provide slime coat,"  although Seachem says it "promotes the production of slime coat".  It sounds like someone objected to the wording on the bottle and it was cheaper to block out the incorrect statement than it was to make all new bottles.

I guess that makes sense!

I am in Sydney Australia and just checked my bottle of Prime. The same information has been blocked out on my bottle too. We have very tough laws on false advertising with stiff penalties for wrong doers. So I am guessing that is the real reason this information is being blocked. Prime is still a fantastic product though

• Supporter

Hi Mandy, can I ask if you treat your goldfish with Prazi for flukes. I haven't done this but I see that many people on this forum do? Your thoughts?  :)

I do ^_^ I treat any new fish, and do a routine treatment on my main tank every 6 months or so.

That has helped me make my decision, I will start a treatment tonight. I have a Prazi based treatment from Blue Planet which sounds pretty easy to do. I have been advised to have a 0.1% salt content in the tank too; to help with any sore spots being left after the flukes detach.

Would you mind checking my math logic? 0.1% is a 1/1000 part. A liter has 1000 milliliters, so that is 1 milliliter of salt per liter. Which equals 1 gram per litre. I have a 300 liter tank so then I need 300 grams of salt. Does my reasoning make sense?

Thanks for getting back to me about the treatment.

• Supporter

That has helped me make my decision, I will start a treatment tonight. I have a Prazi based treatment from Blue Planet which sounds pretty easy to do. I have been advised to have a 0.1% salt content in the tank too; to help with any sore spots being left after the flukes detach.

Would you mind checking my math logic? 0.1% is a 1/1000 part. A liter has 1000 milliliters, so that is 1 milliliter of salt per liter. Which equals 1 gram per litre. I have a 300 liter tank so then I need 300 grams of salt. Does my reasoning make sense?

Thanks for getting back to me about the treatment.

Yup, 1 gram per liter :) No problem :D

Thank you, I didn't want to stuff up now that I have decided to start the treatment. While I have your brain at my service would you mind checking my Prazi dosage? The recommended rate is 1 tablet per 20 liters. So it follows I would use 10 tablets for 200 liters, meaning I would need 15 tablets for 300 liters. Can you see any fault in my logic here?

Thanks again for your help  :)

• Supporter

Thank you, I didn't want to stuff up now that I have decided to start the treatment. While I have your brain at my service would you mind checking my Prazi dosage? The recommended rate is 1 tablet per 20 liters. So it follows I would use 10 tablets for 200 liters, meaning I would need 15 tablets for 300 liters. Can you see any fault in my logic here?

Thanks again for your help  :)

Yup, sounds right to me. I use 30 (:yikes:) on my 600 litres

• Supporter

Brilliant! thanks so much for all your help. I hope this is the thing that will make my fish healthy. They are very delicate at the moment, the slightest thing upsets them.

Good Luck!

Hi Again, the best I could manage with the Prazi was to grind the tablets into a powder and soak it in aquarium water in a bowl for a while. Will it eventually completely dissolve or does it stay as a suspension in the tank water? I have my own version of a white Christmas going on in there at the moment.

• Supporter

That's what it usually ends up like for me too, Although some people crush it and dissolve in warm water, I know Helen uses the pressure from the tap to disolve it in her QT tank anyway

For me the best I can get is putting it in a smaller container of warm water, crushed and shaking it like crazy before adding to my main tank.

Thanks Mandy - did you make that video - it is terrific. I did crush the tablets between a soup spoon and tea spoon but did not get it as fine as you did. Things have improved now a few hours later, there is some powder on the top of the water but all the rest seems to have dissolved.

The instructions say to do a 25% water change after 48 hours then repeat treatment in 7 days. Do you think it would matter if instead of a 25% water change I did a 90% water change?

Also would you mind if I ask you how much water do you usually remove when making a water change and how often to you do your water changes? Do you find your fish are delicate and have to be managed very carefully or are your fish robust?

Sorry for all the questions

9FFE674E-9E72-4E91-91ED-DE60A7E24192_zps

You can see the Prazi snow on the top of the water on the right hand side of the tank. The fish don't seem any different with the Prazi in the water. May be a bit more active but they were fed only an hour before this photo!

• Supporter

No need for apologies :) I didnt make the video, Helen, one of the moderators here did :) There is a good schedule for prwzi in thr ttratment section...Id link to it but I am using my tablet right now

I do 80--90% water changes every week. My guys are quiet robust

Your tank is very nice:D and the prazi looks how mine does usually :)

Edited by FishyMandy