What would be a good size of aquarium for a mover?

It will work with any size aquarium or pond.  If you use no other filters,  you should use a filter container 1/10 of the volume of the tank or larger. If you plan to put plants in the top,  you should have a container with a wide opening at the top.  If you don't use plants, a tall slim container works best.   You can even get a big ugly thing like this and build a simple plywood box around it to hide it.

Does the water return have a wide spray? Just wondering how much of a splash I'd get with a narrow but long tank. I assume it would need to be an open top?

You can make the water return any way you want.  Do you want a splash?  Do you want a cover?  I've never used one, but I'm sure I could figure out how to make one work.

What about a 67gallon? 36"x18"x24h
I love the size of that tank for my salty critters, its like a 90gallon but shorter so nice and big but can easily fit in smaller vehicles. 

You can make the water return any way you want.  Do you want a splash?  Do you want a cover?  I've never used one, but I'm sure I could figure out how to make one work.

I keep snails in all my tanks so covers are best for them to prevent escapes,

While I would love a big splash, I would like to do this indoors so minimal splash would be a must.

I don't remember seeing a 67 gallon at the store I went to (but that doesn't mean there weren't any lol).  I saw 40b's, a lot of the smaller tanks down one aisle, some 55, and then the 60, 75, and I believe even some in the 80 and 90 gal. sizes.  It seems like they went up in increments of 5 though.  

In other news, the fish are moved and live happily in our bedroom for the time being - until we move for the second time this year. There was a slightly bigger tank in my Grandmother's garage that we cleaned up and set back up.  I bought a marineland canister filter, and am also using our larger double biowheel filter that didn't fit in the other tank for this one.  It might be a little overkill, but it doesn't seem like it bothers the fish any.  We still have all of our live plants (except for the val, it doesn't look like it's been doing so well - getting munched on will do that though), and bought more of the fluorite substrate and had to wait for that all to settle before even doing anything.  lt works really well, but it is a bit of a pain to fill it with water and then have a giant mud puddle until you get all the dirty water changed/ filtered out.   I will post pictures as soon as they are done uploading :)

I don't remember seeing a 67 gallon at the store I went to (but that doesn't mean there weren't any lol).  I saw 40b's, a lot of the smaller tanks down one aisle, some 55, and then the 60, 75, and I believe even some in the 80 and 90 gal. sizes.  It seems like they went up in increments of 5 though.  

Yeah I'm not sure if that's what it would be sold as at stores of if they would call it a 65 or 70g but those dimensions are pretty awesome. its a lot of room tucked in a perfect amount of space. But when you punch those dimensions into a calculator it comes to 67.3gallons so that's what I call it. It doesn't feel as annoyingly large as when the 90g was in the living room but still feels nice and big.

I wouldn't want an aquarium that is 2 feet deep.  I don't like working with a 2 foot deep stock tank sitting on the ground. I can't imagine maintaining a 2 foot deep tank on a stand.  The deeper the tank, the less swimming space for the fish, since they don't do a lot of up and down swimming.

I wouldn't want an aquarium that is 2 feet deep.  I don't like working with a 2 foot deep stock tank sitting on the ground. I can't imagine maintaining a 2 foot deep tank on a stand.  The deeper the tank, the less swimming space for the fish, since they don't do a lot of up and down swimming.

Then don't do it. But don't say fish wont use the space when they do.  Even in my 90 the goldfish used every square inch of that tank.  And regardless it's still extra water volume which people on this forum frequently list as a big important factor when deciding what size of tank to purchase.

Its honestly not that hard to do cleaning on a 24" tall tank. Especially when the tools made to do the cleaning come in varying lengths.

Ohh gotchya :)  Yeah, I hope we can find a place that can support a larger tank - if we end up in a second story apartment I'm not sure how a 55-70 would work (depending on the condition of the apartment - the one we moved out of the floors weren't sagging, but it was difficult to have anything flat against the wall without props), but I don't know how soon I'll be taking on anything like a 90 gal.  Once in that realm I'd probably start looking at ponds if I had my own place.  I definitely like the sound of the "Big feel - Less space" though!!  That's some good advertising :P

Also, I didn't forget - I said I'd post pics, and here they are!

091_zpsmwu2ghcw.jpg

093_zpsphueuxmg.jpg

092_zpszgpshtm9.jpg

100_zps0ooxxfzo.jpg

Don't worry, the biowheel to the old tank isn't in there any more - we thought it might help with the tank cycle and left it in for around a week.  It didn't fit the new biowheel, hence why it was floating.  It actually pretty much stayed in that one area.

• 1 month later...

So, we have found an apartment!! It's a nice little two bedroom that was built in the 70's I believe (and has been updated).  It has a crawlspace (which the landlord didn't show), but the other half of the basement has been redone into an apartment as well.  We don't have our keys yet, but we will get them at the beginning of August.  The thing is, we couldn't see which way any of the boards run to try and figure out where the best place to put a fish tank at would be, so now I am starting to reconsider my 75 gal idea and am thinking of settling for a 55, because I feel it would be less likely to cause a cave-in.  Any input? 

The thing is, the 75 I saw came with a light, a stand, etc. all included.  But, how do I know the stand will hold for at least a couple of years??  It looked like plyboard, not solid wood, but it says it was "made to hold 70-90 gal tanks", so am I just being paranoid? 

Thank you guys!   

The tank and stand weight for a 75 vs 55 is not that great, it's the water that adds a good amount of weight.  Maybe only fill it 3/4 of the way until you are confident in the space?

That could work.  I haven't actually bought anything yet, so I still have options.  And you're right, I am concerned about the filled weight of the tank.  I don't want the floor to cave in and then nobody ever want to rent to us anymore lol.

Ohh gotchya :)  Yeah, I hope we can find a place that can support a larger tank - if we end up in a second story apartment I'm not sure how a 55-70 would work (depending on the condition of the apartment - the one we moved out of the floors weren't sagging, but it was difficult to have anything flat against the wall without props), but I don't know how soon I'll be taking on anything like a 90 gal.  Once in that realm I'd probably start looking at ponds if I had my own place.  I definitely like the sound of the "Big feel - Less space" though!!  That's some good advertising :P

Also, I didn't forget - I said I'd post pics, and here they are!

091_zpsmwu2ghcw.jpg

093_zpsphueuxmg.jpg

092_zpszgpshtm9.jpg

100_zps0ooxxfzo.jpg

Don't worry, the biowheel to the old tank isn't in there any more - we thought it might help with the tank cycle and left it in for around a week.  It didn't fit the new biowheel, hence why it was floating.  It actually pretty much stayed in that one area.

Very handsome fish, but I love your red oranda!

Not sure what its like over there.

But if the limiting factor for tank size was my car. Then id measure what i could fit in it (including through the doors or hatch etc) and what i could handle.

Then go to my local aquarium shop and have one made to suit.

Over here theyre reasonably priced for most custom stuff.

Very handsome fish, but I love your red oranda!

Thank you!!  She was a mom and pop pet store find with 2 or three others like her in the tank.  When we got her she was about 2 or 3 inches long - now I think she's double that!  She'll eat straight from your hand, and she's also learned to do the "lip smack" when she wants something, it's too funny :)

Not sure what its like over there.

But if the limiting factor for tank size was my car. Then id measure what i could fit in it (including through the doors or hatch etc) and what i could handle.

Then go to my local aquarium shop and have one made to suit.

Over here theyre reasonably priced for most custom stuff.          

I don't know of any places around where I'm at that do custom stuff, but with my old job it was completely out of the question anyways.  But I will definitely keep that in mind now :)