New 40g breeder - what to do for a cover?

Hi all, I am really excited that I bought a new 40g breeder today with stand so I can transfer my Shabunkin and common from their 20g. They are going to think I put them in the ocean. Ha ha. They are growing fast. I'd say they are now 4" without the tail.

So now I realized I have to look for a cover and I haven't found anything that fits a 36" long x 18" wide 40gb breeder. I am looking online but not seeing anything that size.

Do you just leave the top open?? I know I can get a light that stands over the top (not sure what to do for that either) but I am afraid to leave it open because of my cat named Bear who's is absolutely fascinated with the fish.

Any advise? Still a little to new to know the ropes.

Does the tank have a bar in the middle? If so they make a two piece set for the top. If not I have seen the longer piece but I think you have to get it custom made. Many LFS's will order them, but it's a little more expensive. 

I got mine from my lfs. They had two sizes, one just a tiiiiny bit too big for my tank :idont but also had the right one.

I would call around and see what's in stock! I don't think i paid a whole lot for it.

Hi all, I am really excited that I bought a new 40g breeder today with stand so I can transfer my Shabunkin and common from their 20g. They are going to think I put them in the ocean. Ha ha. They are growing fast. I'd say they are now 4" without the tail.

So now I realized I have to look for a cover and I haven't found anything that fits a 36" long x 18" wide 40gb breeder. I am looking online but not seeing anything that size.

Do you just leave the top open?? I know I can get a light that stands over the top (not sure what to do for that either) but I am afraid to leave it open because of my cat named Bear who's is absolutely fascinated with the fish.

Any advise? Still a little to new to know the ropes.

Make sure you get one from the same manufacturer as the tank. I have a 3 foot glass lid from an older 38G tank i had, an it is a 1/4 inch too long for the tetra brand tank.

I found a sit called that "thepetpalce.com" that has a perfect size glass lid for the 40 G breeder tank

http://www.thatpetplace.com/marineland-perfecto-glass-canopy-36in-18in

Now I just need to figure out what to order for lights. Is there any certain type of light that are right for goldfish? Or is it anything that fit on a 36" size of the tank. I see so many options but I do see they differentiate between fresh water and salt water for some reason.

Edited by ABB63

Unless you have plants lighting is more for you than the fish. You can get whatever you want. :)

The Marineland Double Bright LED is a pretty good option. It will grow lowlight plants too.

Hey everyone, i went back to Petco and picked up a tetra glass cover that goes with teh tetra 40GB. All is good.

Congratulations on such a nice upgrade from your 20g tank.  That's awesome.  You can now hang onto your 20g for a qt/hospital tank.

That's awesome that you found your glass lid also.  

If you are just lighting for the fish, I recommend the Marineland Hidden LEDs, specifically the blue/white combo one. It's a great little workhorse and doesn't sit on top of the lid, instead clips to the inner lip of your tank's frame. That way your kitty has all the space on the top they need. :teehee

Edited by ChelseaM

My fish are really happy. Ha ha

Another question. I bought this awesome purple plant that won't stay on the bottom. I piled some of the small black bottom gravel from the small tank to keep it on the bottom. It is not working because the fish pick at the gravel and move it all over, releasing the plant to fall over and float sideways.

My question: Can I get a few large rocks from the pet store ( white one say the size of peanut M&Ms) and hot glue them onto to the plant base to keep it down. I don't know if the hot glue will be toxic. Otherwise there must be clear caulk that I can use that is the same as they use for the tank's glass.

And thank you for all your input. It is so nice to have experienced fish owners guide us newbies out of trouble. I am really attached to my fish now and I'd be heartbroken to make a stupid mistake and hurt them.

Superglue works really well.  I also usually find free rocks outside, then scrub them and boil them.  They work really well to keep plants down.  I will also recommend both the Marineland double bright LEDs (they don't make them anymore but they have a very similar one at petco and petsmart) and the marineland hidden LEDs.  If you don't want live plants the hidden LED may be the way to go, it takes up very little space and you can find them on sale a lot of times at petsmart!

Good luck with your tank, I love common and single tail goldfish.  Someday when I have a lot of space and money, I would like to have some.  You should post some pictures of yours!!!  :)

Got some 100% silicone and glued together bunch of glass beads to the bottom of the plant so it will stay down. Unjust washed it because it smells like silicone. I'll let it dry over night to be sure it's not toxic.