Sick Betta

Josie

Hey everyone.  So yesterday my betta started becoming lethargic.  He has been lying at the bottom, sometimes in a strange curved position.  When he does come out he darts around rapidly.  He eats a little, but not as vigorously as usual.  Also I have noticed that parts of him are losing color, or becoming grey.  I have had him for about 5 or 6 weeks.  I recently moved him into a new 10 gallon with some neon tetras and platys which are new fish, although they are all acting healthy and normal.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 1
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2 KH=150
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2 KH=60
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 76 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons, running for about 10 days
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? aquaclear 20
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, about 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 betta, 7 neon tetras, 2 platys, 1 nerite snail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, flourish, excel
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, hikari betta and hikari tropical fish pellets, omega one tropical fish flakes, occasional blood worms, occasional algae wafers
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? yes-all the tropicals are new (neon tetras and platys)
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. no treatments
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? turning grey in some places
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting, eating less, flashing

He was in a 5.5 gallon that sprung a leak, and I replaced it with a 10 gallon.  I added the new fish slowly, not all at once, but maybe it was still too much for him.  Should I separate him?

He was in a 5.5 gallon that sprung a leak, and I replaced it with a 10 gallon.  I added the new fish slowly, not all at once, but maybe it was still too much for him.  Should I separate him?

I would.  A heated tank at about 80 F with very little water current if possible.

I wont be home from work until after 10pm tonight, but I will try to get a picture then. He seemed a little better this morning, he was more active and his fins were not clamped. I will update tonight when I get home.

So in between jobs today I stopped at petsmart and picked up a 2.5 gallon tank so I can separate the betta. I didn't get a filter, I was looking at the aqueon quiet flow, but the smallest one still filtered 100 gph which I think will be too much. They also had a tetra whisper which filters only 20 gph, but it is an internal filter, are those okay? I have never used one. Also I dont want to use the cartridge, so do I just stuff regular filter media in the cartridge slot? Is there a different filter anyone can recommend? I will do daily water changes until I get one. When I get home tonight I will separate Babe and I will try to post some pictures.

Yes I got an aqueon heater for tank 5 gal and under. Space is really an issue, this going to have to go on my desk because there is literally no where else in the room it can fit :( I feel really bad, I know it is my fault for adding too many tropicals right away.

Yes, certain tropicals. But of course every fish is an individual so I suppose there's never any guarantee it will work. I added the platys last so maybe he just doesn't like platys, idk. Anyways I will just keep him separate now because I don't want to risk him getting sick from being stressed (hopefully stress is the only problem right now).

You can make the 2.5 work.  The main thing is that you got a heater  :thumb:   An internal filter with low current or an undergravel filter run by an air pump should be fine for a Betta :)

You can make the 2.5 work.  The main thing is that you got a heater  :thumb:   An internal filter with low current or an undergravel filter run by an air pump should be fine for a Betta :)

Thanks, I feel better now.  This tank will be far away from any windows so hopefully the temp won't fluctuate too much.  I also just found a really awesome tiny filter online, it was highly recommended on some betta forums, and the best part???  Only $5 :)

I just got home and am getting the tank set up now, I will post a pic of Mr. Betta once I get it all set up.

OMG I just noticed some ich on my neon tetras.  Eeeek!  I don't see anything like that on my betta, but does he still probably have it?  Do I put betta back in there and treat everybody or still separate him and treat both tanks????  I have heard salt is bad for bettas, do I need to buy something else to treat it?

Ugh and I just realized I posted this topic in the wrong betta section-I meant to put it in the disease part.  Things are just not going well for me right now  :no:

Edited by Josie

Here are some pics of him.  I moved him into his new little tank, all I put in there was a heater, a thermometer, and one small decoration so he has a hiding place.  You can see he is grey on the bottom half of his face, and also he has his mouth open :(  I really don't know what to do, if there is any medicine I need please let me know because I will probably have to order them online and it will take a few days to arrive.  I also think his eyes might be popping out a little, but I might just be paranoid because I read about that today on the internet.  Sorry about all the bubbles on the glass in the pictures.

TGMgXoQ.jpg

zR3w3iB.jpg

Update: Betta is doing much better!  He is swimming, flaring his fins, and eating.  The geryish parts already went back to normal color :)  I guess he must have been really stressed.  I felt so bad for him last night and was so worried, and of course reading about betta diseases online was making me paranoid :bye2:  Luckily things are improving.  He does have ich though, I can see it on him.  Can I treat a betta for ich with salt. temperature and water changes?  That is what I am doing for the tropicals, but I have heard bettas can be sensitive to salt.  What percentage of salt should I add that would be safe for a betta?

OMG I just noticed some ich on my neon tetras.  Eeeek!  I don't see anything like that on my betta, but does he still probably have it?  Do I put betta back in there and treat everybody or still separate him and treat both tanks????  I have heard salt is bad for bettas, do I need to buy something else to treat it?

Keep the Betta in the separate tank and gradually raise the temperature in his tank to 86 F.  That temperature will kill the Ich, but won't hurt your Betta  :)

Keep the Betta in the separate tank and gradually raise the temperature in his tank to 86 F.  That temperature will kill the Ich, but won't hurt your Betta  :)

Temperature alone will kill it?  That is great news.  One more questions though-the heater I got (it is a 10W aqueon) is keeping his tank at about 81 F, but it does not have a way to turn it up or down.  Do I need to put a bigger heater in there, or is there another way to get it a little warmer?  And how long to I need to keep the temp up for?

Just wanted to give a little update in case anyone was wondering.  My betta is doing great!  The first heater broke right away, and when I brought it back to the store they said those ones always are getting returned!  So I bought a nice heater with adjustable dial, and after a few days of 86ish degree water, Babe is doing much better.  He is active, eating, color back to normal.  He also loves his new residence where he is all alone.  Yesterday he made a bubble nest in his frogbit, so I know he is on the mend :)

Just wanted to give a little update in case anyone was wondering.  My betta is doing great!  The first heater broke right away, and when I brought it back to the store they said those ones always are getting returned!  So I bought a nice heater with adjustable dial, and after a few days of 86ish degree water, Babe is doing much better.  He is active, eating, color back to normal.  He also loves his new residence where he is all alone.  Yesterday he made a bubble nest in his frogbit, so I know he is on the mend :)

That is great news.  I'm so glad the heat worked :nana