Do you think Goldfish with wens can be problematic?

Jim_D

To those who keep goldfish breeds which have wens.

Do you think wens can be problematic?

Is Hole in Wen a common problem?

I have done extensive reading in the last week (most likely TOO much reading!) and from everything I have read

it seems that a lot of GF keepers who keep wenned fish seem to run into wen problem sometime or later.

Do you agree or disagree?

• Helper

I've seen a lot of fish ending up with wen ulcers and I've seen them take over really quickly so that is one thing that does scare me :x But I'm not really sure how common they are or if it's just something that stands out to me :P I do know I often spend a lot of time staring at Luka's Wen checking it's all ok :P

I had wenned fish for 2 years of fishkeeping. No wen problems yet.

I think that wen problems are a lot like floatiness: There's a chance it will happen no matter what you do. We can't say that they're a common thing for everyone. 

Edited by ChelseaM

• Admin

The only issues I ever had was with my Mr.T in a heavily planted tank that have Java Moss in it.. not the Balls just the moss. The Moss grew across the gravel attaching its self. One day I woke up to a piece of that stuck in his went with a little rock attached to the bottom of the moss string. it was in a way cutting into the wen...

Thats about the only problems I had... :twocents

I haven't had problems.  However, if the wen is overdeveloped, there can be issues.  In general, I think wens are less problematic than Telescope, Celestial or Bubble Eyes, round bodies and fish with very long, draping fins.  

As my orandas have gotten bigger, their wens are slowly covering their eyes making it a bit harder to find their food although they do. If I had steady hands I probably would consider wen surgery at some point.

Edited by LisaCGold

To those who keep goldfish breeds which have wens.

Do you think wens can be problematic?

Is Hole in Wen a common problem?

I have done extensive reading in the last week (most likely TOO much reading!) and from everything I have read

it seems that a lot of GF keepers who keep wenned fish seem to run into wen problem sometime or later.

Do you agree or disagree?

I have had a few different types of goldfish (single tai and fancy), and personally found each has it's challenges.

So now I just get what I like, and take care of it best I can.

It doesn't seem like a chore to keep them if I really like the fish and don't settle for a low maintenance fish.

I have a ranchu that has impaired, if any, vision due to wen growth. She finds food pretty well though [emoji4] I've never had any infections or diseases relating to my fish's wens in my tank though, except I did freak out when I saw white wen growth in my fish's wen once [emoji23]

I don't think so, but I personally wouldn't allow the fish to deal with a wen that impair the vision. It's an easy fix anyways. :)

Gathered from unscientific recources i assume personally that wen is a genetic inflammatory reaction or at least starts as such. And problems in this has alot to do with Dissolved Organic Carbon(DOC).

So yes, IMHO wenhaving fancies are more fragile then more common ones.

I have had 2 fish with wens. One died very young from infection after surviving a long winter in the pond. The other is my biggest fish. Nearly 300 grams. It's also extremely dumb. Rams head first into everything.