Can someone tell me what this plant is?

FishyMandy

• Supporter

I won this plant (and a nice bunch of duckweed) in a photo competition :o But I have no idea what it is. Its really soft so I think my goldies will tear it to pieces anyway lol but can it even go in my tank (apart from the fact that the goldies might eat it)? Does it need to be planted? Can I tie it on driftwood? Is it meant to just float? I have no idea :rofl: (I'm didn't inherit my grandmas land gardening skills and don't know much more than duckweed, moss and anubias for water plants xD)

wR2MQoa.jpg

iK6QfY6.jpg

Lj2iRvp.jpg

Looks like anacharis (elodia) to me. My understanding is it's okay for goldfish to eat it. Also, it can be planted in gravel, tied down, or floated. I'm not super great with keeping plants alive myself, so someone else who is better with them could probably tell you the best way to keep it. I just know we sold it where I used to work and that was the advice I heard given with it. :)

Edited by goldfishgirl82

I second Goldfishgirl's opinion: I think it is anacharis (elodia)  

Goldfishl eat it, but not too much:  kind of like humans with spinach. We tend to eat it only when we're really hungry or bored.

You can let it float - it likes that. But I think it looks better anchored down.

Congrats on your photo win too. 

• Supporter

I second Goldfishgirl's opinion: I think it is anacharis (elodia)  

Goldfishl eat it, but not too much:  kind of like humans with spinach. We tend to eat it only when we're really hungry or bored.

You can let it float - it likes that. But I think it looks better anchored down.

Congrats on your photo win too. 

Thanks so much! Hopefully on Saturday I'll be able to get some fishing line and tie it down. (unless I can convince my dad to go into the shed and get some off our old fishing rods...I don't dare venture in the shed :scared:)

• Supporter

Guess I'll just see if my goldies touch it or not! My main plant eating guy is gone now (:rip:) so will see what happens, if they eat it, then they can have fun with it, if not, it will look pretty xD In the end at least I didn't pay for it!

I recently put some in my goldfish tank to test it to see if they would eat it. It is now just stems. Of course my goldfish have turned my java fern and anubias into stems also. They won't touch spinach or seaweed or lettuce though. I hate them for that :bat:

• Supporter

I recently put some in my goldfish tank to test it to see if they would eat it. It is now just stems. Of course my goldfish have turned my java fern and anubias into stems also. They won't touch spinach or seaweed or lettuce though. I hate them for that :bat:

LOL Picky on their greens :P

Yes, it is elodia. Very sensitive to being sterilized, however, so do not use bleach. QT it or use Potassium Permanganate.

Thanks! I haven't done anything to sterilize it so far so that's good, just have had it in a small tank on it's own :P

Do you get much of it in your waterways, Mandy? Seems it's in a lot of the local creeks/estuaries around here. It doesn't take much exploring to find some.

• Supporter

Do you get much of it in your waterways, Mandy? Seems it's in a lot of the local creeks/estuaries around here. It doesn't take much exploring to find some.

I've never gone and looked LOL. Sounds like a nice adventure though

You should go have a look if you get a chance, there's a tonne of stuff to find. Apparently SA has a wild betta problem during the wet season. You can legally take samples if you're on non Crown land. :)