Gills turning outward

This started about a month or two ago and it hasn't progressed any more since. I was wondering how many people had this issue? I've read up on it a little bit, but haven't found anything that knowledgeable on the topic. I will be posting photos shortly.

There is a mutation that turns the gill covers out like that.  It is considered attractive in some Asian areas, but has not become popular in the US.  It's not harmful.

Thanks Shakaho! (again).   You seem to be the site expert on this subject. 

I was wondering how many people have this issue?

I do. My fish "Goldie Hawn" has it, I think it looks good on her, what do you think?

GolidieOtherSide.jpg

GolidieSide.jpg

Edited by mysterygirl

I think I dislike it more than like the mutation. This Ranchu is the only male (I think) in my tank, and he's the one that fertilized all of my current fry. I love everything about him except for his gills. Thanks for the replies and pictures! I haven't seen it on any other goldfish before.

Homerjay:  A lot of goldfish have that little flap behind the operculum that flares slightly.  I don't think this is the mutation Shakaho is talking about.  The OP's Ranchu, however, does seem to have a subtle "reversed gill" trait.  Here is a good picture of the real deal:

[url=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/jmetzger72/media/20141208_211258.jpg.html]20141208_211258.jpg

Reversed Gills, Dragon Back and Bubble Eyes...holy breeding  :yikes  I would name him Frankenstein :rofl

Thanks all! I heard someone call this outturned operculum once before. I'm not sure that mine has the same thing. When I look at pictures relating to outturned operculum the entire gill cover becomes very loose. I know mine just has the ends curled outward but I thought that maybe my Ranchu has the start of that trait. When their gill cover separates that much I read they can more easily become victims to foreign debris and infections, etc.

When they eat, forage, and breathe, a lot of foreign debris is filtered through their gills anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you see immediate cause for concern.

Edited by Chai