Sign in to follow this  
Josie

Thinking about adding a canister filter

Hey all.  So I need some advice and I have some questions about canister filters.  My current setup consists of a 60 gallon tank with six small goldfish.  At some point I will be splitting them into two groups of three and getting a second tank, but it may not happen for a while.  My current filtration consists of two aquaclear 70 filters, which total 600 gph.  Since my tank is so fully stocked, I have been considering adding a canister filter.  I see a lot of people on here have Fluval x6, which filters 593 gph!!!  Here are my questions:

1) What is the best idea, keep both aquaclears and get a smaller canister (any suggestions on which model)?  Or just get the big fluval and maybe keep one aquaclear?  Or would that big fluval canister alone be okay?

2) I like canisters because they don't take up so much space on the back of the tank like my HOB filters do.  I also know that they hold more filter media which is good.  Are these the two main advantages to having a canister or am I missing something else?

3) Do canister filters create a current like HOBs do?

Thanks to everyone for any answers, I am still new to this whole fish thing and am trying to get everything figured out :)

I'd keep the Aqua Clear and the canister running together.

I have my canister out hose spraying in the middle of the water level, so I don't get surface agitation from it.. Just the air curtain. I'm picking up a spray bar this weekend so that'll be changing a bit..

If it's not what I want, I'll make my own and maybe a tutorial if it works out. :idont

Let me ask this... Are your current filters able to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0? If so, you have adequate filtration. If not, add more. How much more? Enough to keep ammonia and nitrite at zero. I don't run any more filters than I have to because honestly, I have a ton of lights, filters, air pumps etc going and I don't want to spend any more than I have to. Yes I do think the 2 main advantages of canister filters are more room for media, and that they can be better hidden. They are also more quiet. One drawback is that they can be heavy and difficult for some people to carry to the sink, open up, and clean. 

I have never owned a Fluval Fx6, but that thing looks HUGE.  17" diameter x 20" high.  I can't imagine moving it or think of how much water it holds...

I have a Fluval 306 and and Eheim 2213 on my 40B and I like them.  Probably could/should have gone up to the next size Eheim, but overall I'm happy with the combo.  If I had to do it all over again, probably would have just gotten 2 Fluval 306s to keep the number of different pads, etc I have to keep around to a minimum.  Great easy to use filter, really like my Fluval 306.  

I'd probably never just have 1 of anything on my tank.  I like having 2 canisters because it makes the canisters a size I can work with easily, the peace of mind/safety factor in case one goes out, and I like to alternate cleaning them, which helps keep my system from seeing any bumps.  A canister/hob combo works well, I think a lot of people do this.

Answers to your questions:

1.  One FX6 is plenty for a 60 gallon tank.

2.  I think the main advantages of a canister is that they can hold more media, can look cleaner because the hob isn't on the back, has more ways to modify the output flow, is less likely to get sand in the impeller, and has more options like adding UV, a heater, etc..  I also think they all start back up after a power cycle/outage without priming (one of my biggest gripes with HoBs).

The main disadvantages are that they are more expensive and some think more difficult to clean.

About having more media, some of the larger HoBs probably hold as much as the smaller canisters.  There is no HoB as large as that FX6 though.  

3.  Canister and HoBs will probably have very similar current, except with the canister you have some options on how to direct it. 

If you do get a canister, definitely watch some videos of setup/cleaning before setting yours up.  Maybe even do it before purchasing.  The instructions given are not always the best.

I had a Fluval 406 on my 40b by itself ... It was just enough.

I have never owned a Fluval Fx6, but that thing looks HUGE.  17" diameter x 20" high.  I can't imagine moving it or think of how much water it holds...

I have a Fluval 306 and and Eheim 2213 on my 40B and I like them.  Probably could/should have gone up to the next size Eheim, but overall I'm happy with the combo.  If I had to do it all over again, probably would have just gotten 2 Fluval 306s to keep the number of different pads, etc I have to keep around to a minimum.  Great easy to use filter, really like my Fluval 306.  

I'd probably never just have 1 of anything on my tank.  I like having 2 canisters because it makes the canisters a size I can work with easily, the peace of mind/safety factor in case one goes out, and I like to alternate cleaning them, which helps keep my system from seeing any bumps.  A canister/hob combo works well, I think a lot of people do this.

2.  I think the main advantages of a canister is that they can hold more media, can look cleaner because the hob isn't on the back, has more ways to modify the output flow, is less likely to get sand in the impeller, and has more options like adding UV, a heater, etc..  I also think they all start back up after a power cycle/outage without priming (one of my biggest gripes with HoBs).

The main disadvantages are that they are more expensive and some think more difficult to clean.

About having more media, some of the larger HoBs probably hold as much as the smaller canisters.  There is no HoB as large as that FX6 though.  

3.  Canister and HoBs will probably have very similar current, except with the canister you have some options on how to direct it. 

If you do get a canister, definitely watch some videos of setup/cleaning before setting yours up.  Maybe even do it before purchasing.  The instructions given are not always the best.

Thanks, this is very helpful information!  It is interesting to note that some of the smaller canisters might only hold as much media as my large aquaclears.

I have many aqueon 55/75 and they all start right back up without priming. 

I'll have to keep the Aqueons in mind if I need a new HoB for my little tanks, I mostly have the aquaclear and some other unknown brand of HoBs and they never started back up for me, drives me crazy.  Maybe it was just that they always drained when I cleaned the tanks, but I thought it was when I turned the power off as well.  

Oh yeah Aqueons start right up if you've got the tank filled back up. They're awesome. :rofl

It's really a matter of preference.  I recently bought a canister filter to replace the  2 AC 70s on my 55 gallon for aesthetic purposes and ended up returning it.  In the end, I preferred the look and function of the ACs.  

Nitrate is the main problem you face and only water changes will effectively manage that, not more filtration.  It is also good to have 2 filters running on a tank in case one fails.  If you do decide to try a canister, make sure that you read the operation directions thoroughly, ask canister owners here or watch some videos on Youtube before running it.  This will save you a great deal of heartache :)

I was under filtering my tank by having a too weak filter on it. Added a Fluval Fx5 along side my other canister filter, and my water quality improved A LOT. Just the amount of the debris in the tank is limited due to how much power the FX5 have and how much suction it makes.

I would recommend over-filtering your tank - and I love canister filters! Much much better than HOB. Just the amount of media and water they contain means a lot more cleaning.

Just ordered two Fx6 - one for my other 325 l and my new 660 l tank (going to run another filter on this).