Frankin's tail stuck to intake :(

This forum is for goldfish in need of help or just general disease discussion.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
      • * Water temperature? 72F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 Gallons, less than a year, but more than 6 mo - I can look it up if you need
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  2 AC110
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1x week 90-100%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago, all but what was in the filters
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 adults
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Flourish
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 1x today NLS.  Some days I add peas or bloodworms for 2x day feeding
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Prazi with salt was probably about last July-Aug, I can look it up if you need
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Some fraying to tail
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He bottom sits sometimes, but not today.

He was not acting funny at all today.  Sometimes he still bottom sits even on the NLS, but today he was up and around all day.  I fed them and went to the basement to change the water on the other tank, tidy up, laundry, etc - so I was down there a couple hours max.  When I came back up, his tail was stuck to the filter and he was just hanging out there.  :(  I shut off the filter and he floated away from it and just stayed like that for a moment, then started swimming around and acted fine again.

I can see that his tail is frayed a little, and my first thought was that I should set up the 29 gallon and get him out of there, but then I wasn't sure about filtration - should I move a 110 over to the 29 gallon, or would that be too much current?  I also have an old internal filter I could use.  Salt, no salt?  Leave him be and do another wc on that tank tomorrow?

I'm attaching some pics, and waiting on a video to upload.  Thank you for any advice!

IMG_9563_zpshigogzms.jpg

IMG_9557_zpscpr8mm6o.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's so stinking cute!  I don't see anything alarming externally.  However, there could be an internal problem.  I notice you haven't Prazi'd since last summer.  I would do a couple of maintenance rounds in the main tank.  He also doesn't seem like the strongest swimmer, so using the low flow setting or adding prefilters might me a good idea for the AC 110s :idont

No way 4 adult fish in a 60 with last water change 5 days ago and nitrate 0. Please test again and make sure to shake the nitrate solution bottles very well. 

Thanks Daniel.

Thanks Jared.  Could you please remind me how much salt to use?  I have liquid prazi now.

Will do DP, but I shook the solution bottles a minute before testing, the vial a minute after the first step and a minute after the last. :idont 

I do have pothos and plants... :idont

By the way, reason I'm interested is I have a fish doing same thing but is a stronger swimmer. Lets himself get suck into the intake strainer. Want to be sure all info accurate!

Of course! :)  It was dark last night, and I was a little panicked, so maybe I counted fast or didn't see correctly, IDK.  I also hold the test bottle #2 in the same hand as the vial while I'm shaking after step 1.

I think after today, I will turn the 110s down to the slower setting too.

:o I know what I did wrong now. 

I pulled out the directions to be sure I was doing it right, and I had completely forgotten about waiting 5 minutes to read the color. :oops:

So I do have 5 Nitrates after all.  Thank you so much for raising the question, because I would probably have continued to do it wrong forever. :hi5

Doing a 90% wc right now.

You have to shake solution bottle #2 for 30 seconds, but also the vial after both solutions are in for a full minute and then wait 5 minutes. I sometimes have 0 nitrates but I'm under stocked and do two WCs weekly.

You have to shake solution bottle #2 for 30 seconds, but also the vial after both solutions are in for a full minute and then wait 5 minutes. I sometimes have 0 nitrates but I'm under stocked and do two WCs weekly.

Yes, thank you!  I'm doing the shaking correctly, just forgot the final 5 min. :)

Thanks Jared.  Could you please remind me how much salt to use?  I have liquid prazi now.

Just Prazipro, no salt.  Let's do two 5-day rounds back to back.

Help help help :(

I think he's dying.  He's just laying at the surface right now and I can't tell if he's breathing.  I just found him stuck to the filter again, even though he had been acting normal before just like last time, but when I shut it off, he just floated, swam a tiny bit, but now he's not moving. 

I'm afraid he might be dead or dying, what do I do? :(   No, I just saw his mouth move, I brought up the 29 and I'm going to fill it.

• Supporter

Clean water and add an airstone. I'd also recommend bringing down the temp a little. Hopefully a mod will chime in soon with more help.

Edited by Daniel E.

Uploading now.  It's not good. :(  I scooped him out, so he's in a pitcher ready to go into the 29.  There's probably enough water in there, but I'm not sure if I should move him while it's filling or not.

He has gray looking marks on his fins and body - I thought it was healing from the intake thing, like ammonia burns do, but maybe that's not it.