• * Ammonia Level(Tap) not sure
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) not sure
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) not sure
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) not sure
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 71 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 36 gal, running for 1.5 yrs, but re setup in Jan after a move; I preserved the filter media in aerated water so it remained cycled
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon Quietflow 30 and Fluval Aquaclear 50

• * How often do you change the water and how much? usually once a week 75% but the last two weeks twice a week 75%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday (Mon 3/30) 75%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 come goldfish, 6" from head to base of tale, approx. 9" total
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari sinking pellets (once in the morning), various blanched veggies (once in the evening) and sometimes bloodworms, daphnia or algae flakes as a treat when I'm home during the day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? I've added .1 % does of salt for the last 2 weeks after I noticed he was acting funny
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • when I first got him (1.5 years ago) from the fair, I treated a bacterial infection with salt and Maracyn 2
  • in Dec 2014 did 4 rounds of double dose prazi with .3% salt and 3 salt dips
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • he's been losing scales for the last 2 weeks--during his water changes I noticed 2-4 scales on the bottom of his tank and they're missing on his body although there's no redness and I haven't actually seen any flashing. Yesterday I removed the only rough ornament in his tank.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • less active than usual--he's been staying in the same place for the last few days except for when I feed him or the occasional swim around the tank. He's not bottom sitting, more hovering in place, which is unusual because he's usually more active and swimming around during the day

Please see descriptions above. Although I treated Kaji for flukes 4 months ago, I wonder if it may be resurfacing? For the last two weeks I've been changing the water more often (75% twice) and keeping a low .1% concentration of salt, but he still seems lethargic to me. I'd appreciate if anyone has any recommendations or guesses for what this might be. Thank you Koko's community for always coming to my rescue!

Sure, sorry about that. I just tested the tap water:

ph 8.2

NH3 0

NO2 0

NO3 3 (it looks very slightly orange to me but it might be 0)

I also tested KH and GH using strips ( I don't have drops for these) and both the tap water and aquarium are:

KH 120 

GH 180 

Thanks a lot!

Anne

I should also note that Kaji has grown rapidly the last few months and the nitrate rises in his tank at a noticeably higher rate than before --to about 40 after a full week without water changes, which is why I started changing it twice a week

Edited by MT28

Thanks for all the info.  What were the symptoms that led you to treat with Prazi, salt dips and 0.3% salt back in December?  Can we get a full tank shot and then some pics of Kaji where the scales are missing.  You could also just post a video which would show us both the tank and Kaji.

Thanks for you reply, Jared.

As I recall, I think in December I sought help because I was worried about a white spot on Kaji, that ended up being a new scale growing in, but since I'd never done a full treatment of prazi before and Kaji was a feeder fish from a fair, the mods recommended that I treat for flukes and do salt dips. 

Yesterday was my day off and Kaji seemed lethargic all day, floating in the same spot, but when I went to feed him this morning he was actively swimming around his tank and begging for food. I'm not sure if he was just hungry or is actually feeling better. I'll take a video as soon as I get home today and post it.

Thanks!

Anne

Ok, here's a video of Kaji taken just a few minutes ago with first the whole tank then a close up of the missing scales, which are mainly on one side. The sharp ornament that I suspect he might have been knocking against has been removed, but I have noticed he likes to nudge at the little suction cups on his bubbler tubing until they come off the wall. Could his missing scales just be caused by playing around? What concerns me is up until a couple weeks ago, he wasn't losing any scales and then he lost so many within such a short period of time. 

On the bright side, he's actually acting normal today, swimming around and hungry as usual. I wonder why he was so lethargic yesterday on the day I happened to stay home- I may have overfed him a bit with freeze-dried bloodworms.

I do have a tendency to be an overly concerned fish parent--thanks for taking the time to investigate this with me!

Anne

Is there a chance that he's rubbing against the plastic plants?  

I would caution about feeding freeze-dried foods (especially overfeeding) as they can really expand in side the fish and cause internal issues.  Frozen bloodworms are a better option :)

Yes, it's definitely a possibility, but the plants have been in there since the tank was first set up, so it seems a little odd that he's suddenly started injuring himself on them. Do you recommend replacing them with something else?

I've heard that freeze dried bloodworms can cause SBD but Kaji has never seemed to have a big problem with them, so I was planning to get the frozen kind after I finished the bottle, but maybe it's time to just toss this one.

I did see Kaji do something really strange today--he suddenly started and dashed into the glass so hard it made a thunk, then he just went back to what he was doing as if nothing happened. He's always been a little jumpy, but I've never seen that before. 

I'm wondering if I should do another couple rounds of prazi, since it's been about 4 months now anyway? Or am I just over-worrying?

Anne