Boy, do I ever need advice :(

First of all, what is a "topic tag"?

My question is about a filter and Bio Filtration.

I have a Tetra advanced power filter, good up to 60 gallons. My tank is a 40 gallon breeder. I use filter cartridges without charcoal. (removed it) I would like to use a semi permanent filtration system, as well as bio-filtration.

Could somebody give me some info where I could get these pads, which I would have to cut to size, and some bio balls.

I'm learning as fast as I can, believe me.

Cut them to fit whatever size you need. I usually cut it bigger than I need so I can trim off excess. They rinse well under kitchen water or just in a couple buckets of tank water.

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA0100-Bonded-Filter-312-Square-Inch/dp/B0002565PW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427827602&sr=8-1&keywords=Marineland+Bonded

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Biomax

In my canister I have a mix of marineland and fluval biomax, but it's up to you for whatever can best fit your filter.

I have no experience with that filter but someone will be able to help you figure it out. :)

Just one or two-word phrases related to your post that will make it more easily searchable for other folks looking for info on the same subject.  For yours, I'd probably do "Tetra power filter" and "cartridges," or something similar. :)

I have a Tetra advanced power filter, good up to 60 gallons. My tank is a 40 gallon breeder. I use filter cartridges without charcoal. (removed it) I would like to use a semi permanent filtration system, as well as bio-filtration.

Could somebody give me some info where I could get these pads, which I would have to cut to size, and some bio balls.

Hello there. Great idea switching over to DIY media. The links posted above are good ones. I also use those products. One thing I wanted to point out to you is that the Tetra filter you have flows 300 gallons per hour. A 40 breeder is actually about 45 gallons so that means you are looking at turning your water over about 6.67 times per hour.  The forum recommendation for a HOB filter js 10 times per hour. Your situation may still be ok, depending on your stocking level, but I just wanted to suggest keeping an eye on the ammonia and nitrate levels.

Yes definitely. I had an aqueon 55/75 on my 40b which flows 400 gph and I was barely comfortable with that. The 40b is big enough that it almost needs 2 filters to get the amount of circulation I like.

I had two 70s on my 40 breeder at one point and it kept the tank sparkly clean.

I hated the noise since it's in the bedroom, but two filters on a 40 breeder works very well. You can adjust the flow for small fish with baffles, but hey. :)

Hello there. Great idea switching over to DIY media. The links posted above are good ones. I also use those products. One thing I wanted to point out to you is that the Tetra filter you have flows 300 gallons per hour. A 40 breeder is actually about 45 gallons so that means you are looking at turning your water over about 6.67 times per hour.  The forum recommendation for a HOB filter js 10 times per hour. Your situation may still be ok, depending on your stocking level, but I just wanted to suggest keeping an eye on the ammonia and nitrate levels.

I have only two G fish, and they are pretty small. I don't have this tank quite full, so it's not close to 45 gallons. I also have a small internal filter going, so the Ammonia should be OK.  As it is, this filter is producing quite a bit of a current, which I think is stressing the small fish. At most the larger one is 3" counting the tail. They won't let me measure them. ;)

I have only two G fish, and they are pretty small. I don't have this tank quite full, so it's not close to 45 gallons. I also have a small internal filter going, so the Ammonia should be OK.  As it is, this filter is producing quite a bit of a current, which I think is stressing the small fish. At most the larger one is 3" counting the tail. They won't let me measure them. ;)

Gotcha... A suggestion then... Fill the tank. There is less current produced when the filters return the water to a full tank rather than having the water drop down into the water below. The filter also has to work harder since it is drawing water from further down. 

Edited by DieselPlower

Gotcha... A suggestion then... Fill the tank. There is less current produced when the filters return the water to a full tank rather than having the water drop down into the water below. The filter also has to work harder since it is drawing water from further down. 

Yes, fill the tank and try to get the filter to return the water straight across the surface creating a ripple.  This will produce less current below and will give you better surface agitation which helps with oxygen levels.

@ jared, I tried my best, but either it comes out under the water, or comes out of the filter above. No ripples here. I do wonder however, why a filter that is designed for up to 60 gallons, is inadequate for 40.

Adding just a little Aqueon or something would be enough to kick it to 10x an hou

What is Aqueon?

A brand of filter . . .

In other words 2 filters, which I already have. How little is a little one?

Adding just a little Aqueon or something would be enough to kick it to 10x an hou

What is Aqueon?

A brand of filter . . .

In other words 2 filters, which I already have. How little is a little one?

Not just 2 filters, but 2 filters that are adequate in GPH to filter the tank. You want 10x the tank's volume turned over per hour with HOB filters. The ammonia isn't the only thing we want to take care of with a filter. A filter removes waste, adds oxygen, and creates proper circulation. The 10x/hour is necessary with HOB filters to provide sufficient amounts of all of these in a goldfish tank. 

The filter ratings on the box are not designed for goldfish. They are designed for tropical tanks with smaller fish that produce less waste. Personally, I never follow the box rating no matter what type of fish I am stocking. I go with what is specifically recommended for the fish in my tank.

Fill the tank up to the bottom of the filter outlet, but do not submerge the outlet completely. This will give you the best chance to get ripples. You don't necessarily need the ripples to cross the entire surface of the tank, but you want a decent amount of them. 

@ jared, I tried my best, but either it comes out under the water, or comes out of the filter above. No ripples here. I do wonder however, why a filter that is designed for up to 60 gallons, is inadequate for 40.

Look at it this way... What the filter is really handling is the waste produced by the fish. The number on the box doesn't know if you have 50 grams of fish in the tank or 500 grams. 500 grams of fish will produce way more ammonia and solid waste than 50 grams of fish will. The label is just a ballpark average. Kinda like how I can put on two different extra large men's shirts and one will be too small and one will be too big. And don't even get me started on trying to fit into skinny jeans...

Look at it this way... What the filter is really handling is the waste produced by the fish. The number on the box doesn't know if you have 50 grams of fish in the tank or 500 grams. 500 grams of fish will produce way more ammonia and solid waste than 50 grams of fish will. The label is just a ballpark average. Kinda like how I can put on two different extra large men's shirts and one will be too small and one will be too big. And don't even get me started on trying to fit into skinny jeans...

OK, so who decides how many GPH is enough for two GF especially when they are small... What GPH will I need once they mature? As then they will be much larger. 2 fish and 330 GPH is not enough even now.  What will be enough when they are the size of a grapefruit as that is what fancies grow to, according to the people on this forum, and I believe it. As it is, the suction on the intake for the filter is so strong that twice the smaller one got stuck to it. I put a gauze cover on it, but now the waste might not go through the gauze, or will it? With a stronger filter, they will be in serious trouble. Dogs are so much easier. We have shown dogs for many years, and it was so simple compared to GF. Take them to a vet, get their shots, feed them, groom them, and it's all good.

OK, so who decides how many GPH is enough for two GF especially when they are small... What GPH will I need once they mature? As then they will be much larger. 2 fish and 330 GPH is not enough even now.  What will be enough when they are the size of a grapefruit as that is what fancies grow to, according to the people on this forum, and I believe it. As it is, the suction on the intake for the filter is so strong that twice the smaller one got stuck to it. I put a gauze cover on it, but now the waste might not go through the gauze, or will it? With a stronger filter, they will be in serious trouble. Dogs are so much easier. We have shown dogs for many years, and it was so simple compared to GF. Take them to a vet, get their shots, feed them, groom them, and it's all good.

I did comment in post 5 that you could be on for now, depending on your fish load. Now that I know you have 2 small fish, I am fairly confident your current filter will be able to handle the load. I have 2 fairly large fancies. If I were to keep them in a 40b I would want closer to 600 gph flow minimum. I actually had 800 gph worth on it not long ago.

I did comment in post 5 that you could be on for now, depending on your fish load. Now that I know you have 2 small fish, I am fairly confident your current filter will be able to handle the load. I have 2 fairly large fancies. If I were to keep them in a 40b I would want closer to 600 gph flow minimum. I actually had 800 gph worth on it not long ago.

I think a filter that powerful would suck the life out of them. How about that gauze I mentioned. Will that allow the waste through, you think?  I am considering a second filter if needed, but I think my small GF might not survive, then even my present filter should handle one fish. I do wish I could rehome them. :(

Goodnight, and thank you for the advice.

Edited by mickeyrom

Then, I would need to see a picture or a video of the filter return to help you :idont

The problem is that "designed for up to" and "GPH" don't mean the same thing.  We use the more specific term of GPH to determine whether a filter is suitable for Goldfish.  I think the "designed for up to" term is generally adequate for an appropriately stocked tank of small tropical fish.  Goldfish, however, produce a lot more waste and require a higher turnover for effective biological filtration.  That is why we recommend the 10X GPH.

This is so true :rofl

I think for now, you should just use your test kit to determine whether your current filters are adequate.  If you are able to maintain clear water with zero ammonia, zero nitrite and nitrate below 40, then you are probably fine for now.  Regular, large water changes will help a lot.  We just like to recommend things that will work even as the fish grows large.  This saves people from having to upgrade later and waste money replacing things :)

Then, I would need to see a picture or a video of the filter return to help you :idont

The problem is that "designed for up to" and "GPH" don't mean the same thing.  We use the more specific term of GPH to determine whether a filter is suitable for Goldfish.  I think the "designed for up to" term is generally adequate for an appropriately stocked tank of small tropical fish.  Goldfish, however, produce a lot more waste and require a higher turnover for effective biological filtration.  That is why we recommend the 10X GPH.

This is really getting to  a pain in the . I wake up at 4 AM and start thinking about those GD GF, so then I can't go back to sleep. I get up, remove charcoal form the little filter, stuff it with the cloth for the old filter cartridge, then decide to do it with the guppy tank and the Betta tank. I am still in a quandary with the GD GF...I decide to see if they grow much, maybe I'll be lucky. Still concerned with the suction of the current filter. He I am at 5:50 AM, and I am writting a letter to somebody I have never met and the house is still asleep. Most of the fish, the dogs and my wife.Did you know that GF sometimes sleep on the bottom? Fascinating...

If both of the GF die, I am stuck with a giant tank. Well, it is for me. It will be two months of misery on the 7th. Who knew?

Cut them to fit whatever size you need. I usually cut it bigger than I need so I can trim off excess. They rinse well under kitchen water or just in a couple buckets of tank water.

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PA0100-Bonded-Filter-312-Square-Inch/dp/B0002565PW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427827602&sr=8-1&keywords=Marineland+Bonded

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Biomax

In my canister I have a mix of marineland and fluval biomax, but it's up to you for whatever can best fit your filter.

I have no experience with that filter but someone will be able to help you figure it out. :)

I will be ordering these. Which biomax is the better? I saw some that comes in a little net sack. Would these have that? Would you recomend the anti nitrate filter, or the regular one. Last but not least, where in the filter do those biomaxes go?

Thank you so much for the info.

Edited by mickeyrom