My baby orandas:)

Hi,my name is Katerina and I'm from Greece.About 6 days ago I went at the Pet Store to take food for my Yorkshire and eventually I left the shop with these two baby orandas!!!I want to tell you that I have no experience in fish so I think I have made some mistakes with their tank as it is only 40L,but I am going to buy a bigger one so they will be much more comfortable!!!

(sorry for my English)

IMG_20150331_115153_zpshzupcqig.jpg

IMG_20150331_115338_zpsqu5kcev9.jpg

DSC_1287_zps53gfuj1r.jpg

I haven't found a name for them yet so I would appreciate it if you could help me:)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It helps to have a test kit like the API Master kit, but with two fish in a 40 litre, I would do a full water change several times a week.  

For example, I have one large fish in a 144 litre with 3 snails.  I change 90% every weekend.  I have experimented, and let the tank go, testing every day after day 7.  By the 10-12th day, the tank shows very high nitrates. Truthfully, I have weak filtration and am saving up for a larger filter (bigger tank too, as I have a very small fish in a 60 litre that I would like to put together with the bigger fish at some time). 

Goldfish are messy, and it is always a balance between adequate filtration, space and water changes :)

Edited by motherredcap

I would remove all rocks from the bottom.  That well give space for a little more water and I would test the water daily and do water changes as needed.

You picked out some very pretty goldfish.

Edited by Hidr

It's actually a really thin layer of rocks, that's why I planted the anubia into the jar.

Thank you,they are really cute and sociable [emoji7]

:hi  A couple of cautions about gravel:

1) It can harbor detritus which can foul your tank water and provide a breeding ground for pathogens.

2) It can become stuck in a Goldfish's mouth, digestive tract, etc.

We generally recommend a sand substrate or a bare bottom tank to avoid both problems.  

Welcome to Kokos!  Your fish and tank are very pretty.  We are glad that you are so eager to learn.

I'm concerned that your tank is not "cycled,"  which means you do not have a population of bacteria in your tank that remove ammonia. These take a month or more to grow.  Meanwhile, the fish are producing toxic ammonia which is accumulating in the tank.  The first thing you must do is change all of the water in your tank.  Then you need to  get a test kit so you can check the concentrations  of ammonia and nitrite.  

While 50% a week changes are OK in a cycled tank, you really need to be doing daily water changes until your tank is cycled.

Welcome to Kokos! Your fish and tank are very pretty. We are glad that you are so eager to learn.

I'm concerned that your tank is not "cycled," which means you do not have a population of bacteria in your tank that remove ammonia. These take a month or more to grow. Meanwhile, the fish are producing toxic ammonia which is accumulating in the tank. The first thing you must do is change all of the water in your tank. Then you need to get a test kit so you can check the concentrations of ammonia and nitrite.

While 50% a week changes are OK in a cycled tank, you really need to be doing daily water changes until your tank is cycled.

Thank you very much!!!

I will buy tests as well.How long after water changing should I make the test?

Thank you very much!!!

I will buy tests as well.How long after water changing should I make the test?

The next day.  We want to know how much ammonia  and nitrite accumulates in a day.  There are some water conditioners that will inactivate ammonia to help protect your fish.  One is Seachem Prime another is Amquel plus.  I don't know if these products are available where you are.