Switching to a bigger tank

Last night I went from a 20G to a 40B. I moved all my filter media, rocks, and plants over to the new tank (I am relatively bare bottomed, with some large rock). My 20G was cycled, and it always took 3 days for the ammonia levels to get to .25, at which I would do a 50% WC. Well just from last night (about 6pm) till this morning (about 10pm) the ammonia level jumped from 0 to .5 I have done a 30% WC which has dropped it to .25, maybe close to .3 I am going to do another 30% this evening (currently have a house full of toddlers, so doing a big WC is almost impossible)

OK, so my questions are.... Is my tank recycling? Or is this just the bacteria adjusting to the new water volume? How long can I expect this to go on?

Just keep an eye on it for the next week or so. Even with fully cycled filters/tanks, upgrading causes a bump often. If you can't do a water change right away, just add a double dose of prime (two capfuls a for a 40 breeder).

Edited by Chai

I have two hob filters, one is an aqua tech 20-40, it came from my old 20G (I had two 20-40's on my 20G) And I also have a new Aqua tech 30-60. They have those bio-filters in them. I moved the bio filter from the 20-40 I did not use to the new 30-60.

My 20G had been set up and running for 3 months. I was clueless in the beginning, and jumped right in a bought two fish. They died of ich three weeks later. I kept the tank running and "thought" I did a fishless cycle. It ran unoccupied for 6 weeks before I added my two new little guys 3 or 4 weeks ago. 

Were you adding ammonia while trying to do a fishless cycle? Sounds like your new tank will need time to establish. As noted getting to .25 ammonia in 3 days means the cycle is not fully established.

I did add ammonia, but only twice. Now that I am rereading the info on a fishless cycle, I guess I did not under stand it correctly. Thank you all for your help. I am full on bucket brigade, so this is gonna be fun.