traveling with goldfish

Hello everyone,

I am moving about 3.5 hours away and had some questions about moving my fish. What are the major key points I need to know? Also, how to I keep my ceramic media full of my benifical bacteria? Thanks for any help!

That's a relatively short drive, not much to worry about. :D You can put them all in a container with holes, or half-filled and closed. Fish are shipped with very little water and the rest is air, so they won't run out of oxygen in that drive. Depending on the size of your fish you could use a 5 gallon bucket (they're the ones I find most often that are sold with lids :rofl ) or larger if you need it. If you have a battery-operated air pump, that would be great but not necessary.

The BB can be kept in a sealed container, just keeping it wet is important.

Edited by Chai

I recommend not feeding your fish for a day before moving them so they don't produce much waste during the trip. Keep them in the dark with a towel or something; they are calmer in dark conditions. Try not to jostle them about during the trip. I packed my buckets into the foot well of my car with cushions and took it easy on the corners and when braking. Good luck  :)

That's what I did as well. Right in between the back seat and the back of the front seat, with things surrounding the bucket. :)

If the pH is different, have some baking soda on hand in case you need to raise it. If it's higher than previously, you can acclimate them to it slowly. I'm sure someone will be able to give you better advice on that... I've only ever drip acclimated if tests show higher/lower pH than the bag, but I've never had to do it for multiple fish at a time, especially not after a long trip.

With my newest fish, temp matched and the water was terrible after the overnight shipping, so I decided to just add her to a container of clean water. It didn't scare her too much, but I weighed the pros and cons... Clean water with pH change is better than the water she was in being slowly acclimated.

If there's presence of ammonia/nitrate... You'll just have to prime. :idont

Edited by Chai

When I moved from Michigan to California I had one of my fish with me for the entire 4 day trip. I had him in a 5 gallon bucket with the portable air pump. I also brought several extra buckets of clean, de-clorinated tap water from his home water source with me for switching out when we stopped for the night. When I got to the new place the water was considerably different, as far as what's in it and how it's treated (PH was only slightly different). I used what was left of my home water source water, and then slowly acclimated him to the new water. I think as long as it's done slowly it shouldn't be too much of a problem. 

I would suggest testing the water at both your current and then new location so you can see how they compare, that way you know how to adjust what you do accordingly as far as how much water conditioner to add and whether or not you need to buffer ph, etc. 

Good luck with your move!

Edited by goldfishgirl82

It just occurred to me you might be able to contact a local fish shop in the area you are moving to and ask them what water parameters you can expect in the new location. They deal with the local water every day so they should be able to give you a heads up easily. Then you can be prepared for when you arrive - just a thought

• 2 weeks later...