Treating Flukes without the use of salt?

kehresmann

I began my first round of prazi yesterday morning, so today would be Day 2 of the treatment. I was looking at the "treatment rounds for flukes" thread under the treatment section and noticed that both 7 Day rounds and 5 day rounds call for salt and I personally don't like using salt in my freshwater aquariums. So should I just follow the directions and just ignore the salt directions or should my treatment rounds be entirely different? Thanks in advance fellow kokomembers. :)

The salt is used to he heal any tiny wounds left behind as the flukes die and fall off the fish. You can do it without salt but they are at a higher risk of developing secondary bacterial infections.

Why don't you like using salt? :idont

With or without the salt, you'd still follow the same directions. :)

The salt is used to he heal any tiny wounds left behind as the flukes die and fall off the fish. You can do it without salt but they are at a higher risk of developing secondary bacterial infections.

Why don't you like using salt? :idont

With or without the salt, you'd still follow the same directions. :)

Whenever I've used salt In treating any sort of wounds in my freshwater fish, everything has always gone downhill and it's swayed my thoughts about using salt. Would you strongly suggest using salt? I would like to make this process the least painful for my goldies as possible, and I suppose I would be willing to use the salt if it's strongly suggested that I do(I really don't want them to be getting any secondary infections!)...Sorry I probably sound nutty, using salt just makes me nervous since I've always seemed to have more trouble than success with it.

Edited by kehresmann

Do you have live plants in the tank? That's the only reason I'd suggest NOT using salt unless you're willing to temporarily remove them.

Goldfish can tolerate pretty high concentrations of salt. The typical amount used in prazi regimens isn't harmful all and alleviates them if they're carrying parasites.

Edited by Chai

I would use it then.  Stick with 0.1% salt and single dose the prazi.  They shouldn't have any issues with 0.1% . . . .

Once the initial rounds are done, we suggest doing maintenance prazi rounds every 3-6 months.  For these rounds, no salt is needed.  :D

I would use it then.  Stick with 0.1% salt and single dose the prazi.  They shouldn't have any issues with 0.1% . . . .

Once the initial rounds are done, we suggest doing maintenance prazi rounds every 3-6 months.  For these rounds, no salt is needed.  :D

Will do! :) Thank you so much!

Just make sure to use the right kind of salt and you'll be fine. No anti-caking agents, no iodine, just plain old salt. 

I did a double check and my salt looks like it's good to go. :) Thank you for the reminder.. A double check never hurts!

I'm not asking to question the judgment of anyone, but is there a reason 0.1% is suggested for treatment? Most goldfish books I've read that have a section on parasite treatment seem to list 0.3% as the recommended dosage.

Is it to allow the fish to be less stressed with the salt usage? :idont

If you're trying to kill parasites other than flukes, then go with 0.3%.  If you're using it for healing with prazi treatment, use 0.1%.

If these were new fish to her, I'd suggest 0.3% for two weeks.  Assuming nothing popped up in those two weeks, then prazi and salt 0.1%.  Since she's had these fish for a while (or at least that's what I'm assuming :idont ), we don't have as big of a concern that something like ich will pop up during the prazi treatment . . .

I'm not asking to question the judgment of anyone, but is there a reason 0.1% is suggested for treatment? Most goldfish books I've read that have a section on parasite treatment seem to list 0.3% as the recommended dosage.

Hikari suggests that a salt concentration above 0.1% will impair the effectiveness of Prazipro liquid.

Hikari suggests that a salt concentration above 0.1% will impair the effectiveness of Prazipro liquid.
I noticed that thread, very odd. I don't use Hikari's prazi, but I wish they would tell us more.

For Clarity. 0.1% is 1 Teaspoon of aquarium salt or canning/pickling salt per gallon of water.

If you're using canning/pickling salt it's 3/4 tsp per gallon . . .

Thanks!