• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metronidazole

Could you get metro and Triple Sulfa? TS is made by API and is available at petsmart . . . .

You can take the Prazi out at the next WC. None of the other meds you have will help. What temp is your tank now?

Metronidazole

Could you get metro and Triple Sulfa? TS is made by API and is available at petsmart . . . .

You can take the Prazi out at the next WC. None of the other meds you have will help. What temp is your tank now?

I will try. I just don't have any money and my parents aren't too keen on spending extra money on a goldfish who cost $6.00. I never put the Prazi in, because I wasn't sure what would happen with the pineconing, and I remembered reading thst the other salt would make it worse. The tank is in the low 60s, but I put a heater in and it's climbing.

Metronidazole

I will try. I just don't have any money and my parents aren't too keen on spending extra money on a goldfish who cost $6.00. I never put the Prazi in, because I wasn't sure what would happen with the pineconing, and I remembered reading thst the other salt would make it worse. The tank is in the low 60s, but I put a heater in and it's climbing.

Be sure it only raises about 2 or so degrees an hour. You don't want it to climb too high too fast.

Metronidazole

Be sure it only raises about 2 or so degrees an hour. You don't want it to climb too high too fast.
The heater is on the lowest setting. I don't think it'll rise too fast. Thanks!

Both of the meds are waterborne.  You will dose the meds day 1 according to the dosage instructions on the package.  Day 2 just add Prime (double dose it).  Day 3 do a 100% WC and dose both metro and TS.  Day 4 repeat day 2.  We will take this out to 14 days minimum.  Also add Epsom on the days you add the other meds . . .

Both of the meds are waterborne.  You will dose the meds day 1 according to the dosage instructions on the package.  Day 2 just add Prime (double dose it).  Day 3 do a 100% WC and dose both metro and TS.  Day 4 repeat day 2.  We will take this out to 14 days minimum.  Also add Epsom on the days you add the other meds . . .

We were unable to find triple sulfa or any of the others at our local stores. We are ordering both kana and metro off of eBay. They should be here this weekend. Fins crossed it won't be too late. :(

Kappa didn't eat this morning, Either. I have some new pics for you to look at. The lightings better so you can see his scales. . . I think it's a bit more pronounced than yesterday.

image.jpg14_3.jpg

image.jpg9_4.jpg

image.jpg3_6.jpg

It must be your lucky day, cause I got s video too. . . I think it's actually semi clear.

I can't help but feel a bit guilty he is like this. I noticed that his belly felt soft awhile ago and I just write it off as how he was supposed to feel, but mushy bellies can be a sign of a bacterial infection. In addition, I skipped a wc-- something I haven't done since I bought him-- and that added push of dirty was likely what sent him over the edge. It was literally two days after I skipped a wc that he got sick!!

80% wc on QT, re added .8 tsp Epsom salt.

Metro and kana were both ordered last night and should be here by the weekend.

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

Kappa didn't eat this morning, Either. I have some new pics for you to look at. The lightings better so you can see his scales. . . I think it's a bit more pronounced than yesterday.

image.jpg14_3.jpg

image.jpg9_4.jpg

image.jpg3_6.jpg

It must be your lucky day, cause I got s video too. . . I think it's actually semi clear.

I can't help but feel a bit guilty he is like this. I noticed that his belly felt soft awhile ago and I just write it off as how he was supposed to feel, but mushy bellies can be a sign of a bacterial infection. In addition, I skipped a wc-- something I haven't done since I bought him-- and that added push of dirty was likely what sent him over the edge. It was literally two days after I skipped a wc that he got sick!!

80% wc on QT, re added .8 tsp Epsom salt.

Metro and kana were both ordered last night and should be here by the weekend.

Try not to be so hard on yourself :(  I think we've probably all been late on a wc time and again...life sometimes gets busy.  I'm sure its just a coincidence.

I do have to give you kudos for being so responsible at 16...I know many, many teenagers (and even adults) who wouldn't be so caring and diligent about their goldfish if in a similar situation.

I do have to give you kudos for being so responsible at 16...I know many, many teenagers (and even adults) who wouldn't be so caring and diligent about their goldfish if in a similar situation.

Thanks Reds12.  :bighug  I'm extremely fortunate that, although they really don't understand my love for fish, my parents are willing to help me out in a scrape. I don't know how many other teens have parents that would fork over money to help heal a fish that cost less than the medication itself  :whistle

I think my own personal least- favorite part of Kappa being sick (other than the possible impending horror of his death <but hopefully not>) is all the talks I keep getting. From my dad, my sister, my mom. . . all of them decided that they were gonna be honorary ichthyologists for the week and looked up what it means when a fish is pineconed. Now they keep throwing really depressing statistics at me and telling me not 'to get my hopes up too high, because pineconing means a serious internal infection and that the kidneys are fried and there is less than a 5% chance of survival and don't get your hopes up.'  :help:

I've had several fish pinecone before and I don't think any of them died from it.  Having said that, I will add that I did have the meds on hand that I needed so I started treatment right away and the fish were more sensitive than my other fish--would get floaty more easily after eating or would relapse.  But you can treat it and save the fish.  :D

The good thing is that now that the meds are ordered you will have them on hand now and in the future should you need them again. 

So Kappa happily ate some decapped peas today. . . And then happily spit them all out when I wasn't looking. Except for maybe one. . .

80% wc, Epsom re-added. How long does Epsom go on for? I was reading that too long would give anemia and death. Also, kappa has always loved peas before. Could his spitting them out be due to gill irritation? I.e, flukes? Should I Prazi him during the Epsom treatment? Or would that be counterproductive?

Also; I checked his gills and they look red and healthy. Thought that was worth mentioning. Video is uploading as we speak.

I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating.  He's not feeling well.  His appetite will return once they metro and kana are in for a couple of days.

The amount of Epsom you are using is not going to cause anemia or death.

I wouldn't add any prazi at this point.  I'd stick with Epsom and clean water and let us know when the meds arrive.  :D

I wouldn't worry too much about him not eating. He's not feeling well. His appetite will return once they metro and kana are in for a couple of days.

The amount of Epsom you are using is not going to cause anemia or death.

I wouldn't add any prazi at this point. I'd stick with Epsom and clean water and let us know when the meds arrive. :D

Alright, I'll stick with the Epsom and clean water. Thanks for your help!! I really appreciate it, I don't know what I'd do without your fishy help.???? Edited by Morgan'sMiracles

I was Unable to do a wc today, or get any pictures. But, and this may just be wishful thinking, I really don't see much (if any) pineconing today! And his belly, which was previously really mushy, feels firmer. Again, this may be wishful thinking, and I will get you some pics tomorrow, but I think he is getting better. And, he has been eating, so. . . ????????

Meds still haven't arrived.

I won't be here this weekend, so my brother will be doing 80% wc for me and re-adding Epsom. Just to confirm, 1/2 tsp per 5g, correct?

Edited by Morgan'sMiracles