Fish Injured Itself?

bedunton

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded my tank and filter for my single goldfish. I have been running both filters and performing daily water changes/checking ammonia and nitrates to assure that the tank is settling fine. All readings have consistently come back perfect. 

I woke up this morning to find that my goldfish had a red mark that resembles dried blood on his back and bleeding onto his dorsal fin. There was zero sign of this before I went to bed, so this makes me think that he cut himself on the base of my new AC filter or a plant. I have a video, but I am sorry if it is hard to see..he's still very active!

Is it possible that this is a cut, or is it more likely it is something else? I've never seen anything like this before. 

I'm working on uploading a video now, but it hasn't seemed to finish processing on the hosting site..I will upload it as soon as it is finished. 

Thanks for all of your continuing help! This community is amazing.

Brittany

:hi   I can't really get a good look at it because you fish is so darn happy :rofl   However, I am betting it's a scrape and maybe from the AC Filter.  You can by a prefilter sponge for the intake to eliminate the possibility of this happening again.  Fluval makes them for the ACs and Amazon sells them, I believe.  In the meantime, just keep the water pristine and observe.  You can also add 1 Teaspoon of Aquarium Salt per gallon of water to help this heal.  

I would also consider switching the plastic plants for a low maintenance/Goldfish friendly live plant such as Anubias.  If you add the salt, wait until it is removed before adding the live plants  :)

I just tried to take some quick photos on my phone. They may be easier to see than the video. 

image_zpssxmhhhpn.jpg

image_zpsrvxakiqe.jpg

image_zpsr9xjcmzn.jpg

Thanks, guys! Again, I just tested the ammonia and nitrates again and they are perfect. I have no idea what this could be.. He's in a 20g long tank with an AC 50 HOB filter.

I have, yes. He does, but that's because he has a bad swim bladder (has since i got him 5 years ago) and is easily bloated after feeding. I fed him this morning. Perhaps there is something else behind this? I did the whole 2 month prazi treatment about 6 months ago. 

The more I watch the guy, (well..actually girl..I just can't seem to get used to this recent realization), the more I do think that it is irritated from being out of the water. Is there anything I can do to help this area heal as safely as possible? 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have an update on my goldfish's condition.

Ever since I have placed her in the new 20G tank she only floats around the top. Her back is level with the top of the water, giving her the red marks occasionally as posted in the photos above. I have heavily restricted her diet, thinking that it could be the problem (Though it's never been a big issue in the past 5 years..) and after fasting for 2 days, developed a strict feeding schedule of:

Fast, Pea, Fast, Dried Food, Fast ( Repeat )

I have done this for two rounds and she is just as sensitive to food as before, if not more. Now even a pea will send her floating and stressed. She swims as if she is trying to push something out. I treated for flukes when I placed her in the new tank as a safety and have been changing her water weekly (40%). I'm not sure what else to do..

Could she be sensitive to salt? I just don't know.. She's always had a fussy swim bladder but this is getting ridiculous and I feel like it's disrupting her quality of life. She just sits around the top of the tank all day..no gulping, just floating. 

Thanks for any advice.

Brittany