Sign in to follow this  
aquabubbles

My First Fry

My other thread about the eggs was mostly for me to get advice/help. this one is going to be a fry diary!

The surprise fry are two weeks old today :)

HiBiX.jpg

There are about 50 of them and they are adorable!  :teehee

(Photo from a few days ago.)

I even noticed some tail development!

I've been feeding them Hikari First Bites. they eat like little pigs!

I will do my best to keep this thread updated daily.

Edited by aquabubbles

Congratulations!!!!

I'm glad they are doing well ;) I look forward to seeing them grow and develop into little fishes :D Wishing you lots of luck and for healthy baby fry! :goldfish:

Love!!  Try to take a picture log!  You'll be shocked at how fast some of them will grow  :D

Thanks everyone :heart

I worry they're not growing fast enough... There are some decently sized ones but then there are some little tiny ones.

It's fun to watch the fry nibble on the java moss and duckweed I put in the tank for them! 

And some photos from today:

16948861501_f4d970bd10.jpg

16923883216_56ba73fe76.jpg

16762158638_fd40de09e7.jpg

16762337200_da031b8fa7.jpg

Those nice round tummies indicate that they're well fed --you're doing a great job!

Those nice round tummies indicate that they're well fed --you're doing a great job!

Glad to hear! I keep worrying I'm not feeding enough, so that's a relief. Thank you :heart

--- 

I found my first dead fry during today's water change  :cry Survival of the fittest...

I've been doing daily 50-75% water changes, and now I'm wondering if I should do 100%? The parameters have been fine, I'd just like to be able to rinse the tank out fully. Opinions please  :hi

Edited by aquabubbles

I did a 100% w/c. The fry seem fine and I was able to count them when taking em all out! There are 49. So since one died, and that would have been 50, my "50 fry guesstimate" was correct! :)

Those naughty fish decided to lay MORE EGGS! There are only a few (I'm guessing there were more that they ate) so I took out the plants with eggs and put them in a bucket. We'll see if they hatch...

I think most - if not all - of the new eggs are unfertilized. Oh well, I don't really need any more goldfish!!  :rolleyes:

Down to 43 fry  :( Is that a normal survival rate?? I started worrying after I found three dead today. Three in one day seems like a lot, but I don't know...

Yes, that seem relatively normal for a survival rate. I have 60 fry the oldest batch are at a week and a half and I've lost 1 from that group. I see about 3 or 4 that are definite culls.

I'm not sure if this picture will work through the tapatalk app but I'm going to give it a try and attach a photo to this post.

b6341c4b7560727c6cf66ce8832df5e8.jpg