Dropsy D:

so I ordered the medicine adviced but won't be here until next week =_= however the medication fish food arrived. I looked at the ingredients and it has the same that the medicine I ordered. Would the food be ok only or would food plus medicine be required?

C7F8C3E4-8810-4186-8ABB-C69DF5BA2221.jpg

64EC14D7-CCEF-4CA9-BFFD-464C1DFCCB29.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can try the food, although I have never used this particular brand.  My only concern is that the dosing method is pretty imprecise and requires that the fish eats exactly what is needed.  This can be hard to achieve, especially with flakes.  The other problem is that since you are treating with both Metronidazole and Kanamycin, you will have to feed the fish twice as much food to deliver both medicines.  This could be problematic.  However, I'm not sure it would be wise to wait a week for the water borne meds to arrive to begin treatment for dropsy.  

The good thing about pelleted medicated foods such as Medi Koi is that you are directed to feed exactly 0.1% of the fish's body weight daily to deliver a precise amount of medicine.  This is easier to achieve as both the fish and the pellets can be weighed for accuracy.

AP recommends that the fish eat 2% of their body weight per day... But I suppose that means she'd have to feed 2% of both..

At this point, it would be worth a try, no? :idont

AP recommends that the fish eat 2% of their body weight per day... But I suppose that means she'd have to feed 2% of both..

At this point, it would be worth a try, no? :idont

They also recommend to only feed one type of medicated flake at a time, not both :(

You can try both foods, but I can't endorse it as I have no experience with these 2 AP products and their contraindications.  If it were me in your situation, I would probably start the Metronidazole food now and wait for the Kanaplex powder to arrive before beginning the Kanamycin.  Metro can be overdosed a little without harm whereas Kanamycin can damage the kidneys if overdosed.  Since dropsy is essentially kidney failure, this would be bad.

It might be worth contacting AP with your particular situation and seeing what they advise :idont

will I have to treat with med and med food? Would my phishy be ok or do I just stick to one?

My phishy gladly eats the flakes. She has actually never stopped eating which gives me hope she will recover.

Came home to change 100% water and continue the epsom bath. Her scales are not as sticking out as before and moves a lot more as well.

Thanks for all your help to everyone posting and sending advise. I hope with all your help and advise we can kick dropsy in the butt ^ _ ^

; A ; I just noticed my phishy has a hole in her head T - T I hope the med will help treat this as well

Notice my edits to post #29.  With the hole in the equation, I would start the Metronidazole food now.

Ok I will only feed the metro food for now. and wait for med.

I'm able to add melafix or pimafix if tail rot occurs again right?

What do you recommend?

After closer look phishy has at least 4 holes coming out which one is full on big = ~ =

See below image. That's best I could take. She moved ALOT hehe it's the white part that's barly visible.

4D72D661-4CFD-4D2D-8B6B-A9B977CA9803.jpg

Do you have any non-chain pet stores (not petco/petsmart but locally owned stores..you can google search for stores) nearby that you may be able to call and ask if they have the meds in stock?

Edit:

Actually the Seachem website has a locator for retailers that carry their products. It might help you out. :)

http://fmpro.seachem.com/SDLocator/DealerLocatorStart.php

Edited by Chai

The meds will arrive Monday :(

I came home today and phisy was swimming around as soon as I got near the tank. The scales are not as puffed up and she goes to top of the tank to eat food. ^_^ so far so go.

Soo happy!

Thanks SOO much everyone ^_^

The scales on my phisy is now barely out and the hole in head looks like is healing. Shes very active but still cannot maintain her balance like normal fishes. So far so good  thought :D 

The scales on my phisy is now barely out and the hole in head looks like is healing. Shes very active but still cannot maintain her balance like normal fishes. So far so good  thought :D

That's excellent news!

Now that shes feeling better are the meds still required? She still cannot swim normally how can i help her get better?

Yes, you always want to finish a course of antibiotics once you start one.  I would keep the Metronidazole food going for 14 days.  When the Kanaplex arrives, let's discuss whether to use that as well :) 

So i received KanaPlex and MetroPlex today.

How should i procceed? She No longer has pinecone scales. She is better no doubt. Even the hole in the head is healing nicely. Do i really need to continue with KanaPlex? I mean shes no longer just at bottom of the tank. Only problem she is having is not being able to float up and down normally.

Please advise :3

See phishy now all good ~

41E290E7-473A-41D0-9E89-A46CF6DF1560.jpg

Edited by METL

So i received KanaPlex and MetroPlex today. 

How should i procceed? She No longer has pinecone scales. She is better no doubt. Even the hole in the head is healing nicely. Do i really need to continue with KanaPlex? I mean shes no longer just at bottom of the tank. Only problem she is having is not being able to float up and down normally. 

Please advise :3

It seems like the Metronidazole is working.  Can you take a video of her swimming behavior and paste a link here from Youtube?

Okay, it looks like the swim bladder is impaired.  This is usually not fixable, but it might be worth trying the Kanaplex in case it is caused by an internal infection.  Since it is internal, you can use either the Kanaplex food or the powder.  If you use the food, wait until after you have finished the Metronidazole food.  If you go with the powder, you can dose that along with the Metronidazole food.

what about moving it to the main tank? I think i havee to remove all the gravel D:

You need to keep it isolated until you have finished the 14 day course of the medicated food.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.

Dropsy is gone. The medicated food worked like a charm without needing the powdered med that came late in the mail :(

Added her back to the main tank see below.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h262/thebeatlesrock2/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

Thanks all for your help ^_^