Dropsy D:

I'm a big stump on what is happening to my poor fishy.

I have a black fancy goldfish who currently has dropsy. She still eats and I've been feeding her pees while her medicated food comes via mail. She's had dropsy for but now. But so far she's really fighting to stay alive so I'm detrmend to get her feeling better. I've been doing Epsom salt baths which looks like really helps her because she starts swimming around once she's back in the quarantine tank. Problem I'm having is I keep change her water because it gets dirty like the next day a rally of things are inside the tank attached to the walls of aquarium. It looks like she's able to digest the pees because green poop comes out but like I said I'm stumped with the additional items unidentifiable in the tank. At fist I thought the filter was the problem so I removed it. But still happened.

Need help ; ~ ;

I use aquarium water from main tank whic has below water levels.

PH - 7.0

Ammonia - .25ppm

Nitrite- 0ppm

nitrate .50 ppm

Tempature at 80F

Using melafix pimafix

Any suggestion is really appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry this is happening.  Pictures help, particularly ones of the main tank.

Fill the QT container with fresh water (from the tap) treated with Prime or another water conditioner.  You can add some Epsom, but no other medications.  The moderators will want to know what medication you can get your hands on.

My main tank size is 60 gal. QT is 10 gal

How much Epsom salt do I add and do baths not work? I should add Epsom salt and leave it for no more than 10 days right? Using Epsom salt is new to me.

11C2828B-399F-4203-84CE-54A723B14D36.jpg

That was when I had green algea which is controlled now.

20150327_050532079_iOS.jpgThis was today. Water was crystal clear at night when I did the water change and then this.

C27DDBD9-F181-400C-B667-E6E8BA121A91.jpgWhen was added back to QT after a 5min Epsom bath

F83581BD-4205-46B9-81A5-83D438F96005.jpgThis was her today again

1/2 tsp per 10 gallons for the Epsom.  It is good that she is eating.  Maintain pristine water - that would mean changing the water completely in the 10 with fresh, Primed water - daily.  

The moderators may suggest an antibiotic.  Do you have access to any?

I'm sorry your fish isnt feeling well :hug please fill out this form when you can for both the main tank and QT tank as well as posting the tap water parameters.

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

You have gotten great advice from Susanne :)

You have quite a bit of gravel in there, are you vacuuming it weekly? I would recommend taking out the gravel to make it 1/4- 1/2 an inch deep.

:hi

Please fill out the form that Mikey copied and pasted.

Melafix and Pimafix are not going to help with the dropsy.  You are going to need stronger meds.  Call around and see if you are able to find metronidazole (MetroPlex by Seachem for example is often found at locally owned pet stores) and kanamycin (Kanaplex by Seachem) OR triple sulfa.  I would get these ASAP.

The gravel on the right side of your tank is rather deep.  Do you vacuum that all the way to the bottom regularly?  I suggest removing some gravel from that side or spreading it more equally across the bottom of the tank . . . .

I am so sorry your fish has dropsy. He is such a gorgeous fish. Sending healing vibes your way.

I had a similar experience with dropsy, which ended up in a success. The best thing is your fish is still eating. All the best. An experienced person would soon chime in and help you with the treatments.

We have a thread here on how we cured Damien of dropsy. You can have a look here in the meantime.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97766-my-favourite-oranda-damien-is-battling-with-dropsy-please-help/

A large fish in a small tank will make the water dirty in short order.  This happens even faster if the fish is sick.  That's why you need to do 100% water changes (with clean water, not used water from the main tank) daily in your hospital tank.  

The easiest way to do this is to have two 10 gallon containers (a plastic tote is cheap and works just fine for the second tank).  

You set up hospital 2 with clean tap water, dechlorinater, epson salts, and any antibiotics we recommend.  

Then scoop the fish out of hospital tank1, and put it in tank 2.  

Empty and rinse tank 1, put in tap water, epsom, and dechlorinater.  

The next day add any medication to tank 1, and move the fish in.

On this forum, we use the term "bath" to refer to a continuous treatment in the tank the fish lives in.  If the fish is removed from its tank into another container with the medication for some period of time then returned to its hospital tank, we call that a "dip."  Not everyone uses the same definition of bath.  As I read it, you have been doing an epsom dip, which will not help with dropsy.

Your fish should be in an epsom bath containing 1/2 teaspoon of epsom per 10 gallons all of the time.  Likewise, we will use antibiotics as a bath when you get some.

I'm going to make a strange request.  Before you do the next water change, smell both the main tank and the hospital tank, and report any difference in the odors.  My observations of my fish indicate that the water in tank with a sick fish has a strong "fishy" smell, and that as the fish improves, the odor subsides. 

What a pretty fish!  I love dark orandas!  I recently had two goldfish who had come down with dropsy more times than I can count on one hand.  My tank also became very dirty, very quickly.  It looked like to me a lot of the floating, whitish debris was shed slime coat possibly.

1/2 tsp per 10 gallons for the Epsom.  It is good that she is eating.  Maintain pristine water - that would mean changing the water completely in the 10 with fresh, Primed water - daily.  

I used a much larger dosage of epsom salts with dropsy - is this standard dose?  I'm not challenging your advice, I'm just wondering if this is a starting dose, or if I way overdosed mine!

I'm going to make a strange request.  Before you do the next water change, smell both the main tank and the hospital tank, and report any difference in the odors.  My observations of my fish indicate that the water in tank with a sick fish has a strong "fishy" smell, and that as the fish improves, the odor subsides. 

My QT tank (like shakaho mentioned above) definitely would start out pristine/crystal clear, and would smell almost rotten (like kitchen garbage at the end of a hot day) by the end of the day.  As the fish came back to health, the smell went away.

My fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery!  Dropsy can be so worrisom and stressfull, but you'll definitely get some great advice for it here  :)

What a pretty fish! I love dark orandas! I recently had two goldfish who had come down with dropsy more times than I can count on one hand. My tank also became very dirty, very quickly. It looked like to me a lot of the floating, whitish debris was shed slime coat possibly.

1/2 tsp per 10 gallons for the Epsom. It is good that she is eating. Maintain pristine water - that would mean changing the water completely in the 10 with fresh, Primed water - daily.

The moderators may suggest an antibiotic. Do you have access to any?

I used a much larger dosage of epsom salts with dropsy - is this standard dose? I'm not challenging your advice, I'm just wondering if this is a starting dose, or if I way overdosed mine!

I'm going to make a strange request. Before you do the next water change, smell both the main tank and the hospital tank, and report any difference in the odors. My observations of my fish indicate that the water in tank with a sick fish has a strong "fishy" smell, and that as the fish improves, the odor subsides.

My QT tank (like shakaho mentioned above) definitely would start out pristine/crystal clear, and would smell almost rotten (like kitchen garbage at the end of a hot day) by the end of the day. As the fish came back to health, the smell went away.

My fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery! Dropsy can be so worrisom and stressfull, but you'll definitely get some great advice for it here :)

for bloating and pineconing that isn't terrible, 1/4tsp of Epsom per ten gallons. For a fish that is quite bloated 1/2 tsp can be used.

What a pretty fish!  I love dark orandas!  I recently had two goldfish who had come down with dropsy more times than I can count on one hand.  My tank also became very dirty, very quickly.  It looked like to me a lot of the floating, whitish debris was shed slime coat possibly.

I used a much larger dosage of epsom salts with dropsy - is this standard dose?  I'm not challenging your advice, I'm just wondering if this is a starting dose, or if I way overdosed mine!

My QT tank (like shakaho mentioned above) definitely would start out pristine/crystal clear, and would smell almost rotten (like kitchen garbage at the end of a hot day) by the end of the day.  As the fish came back to health, the smell went away.

My fingers are crossed for a speedy recovery!  Dropsy can be so worrisom and stressfull, but you'll definitely get some great advice for it here  :)

What dose do you use?  :idont

What dose do you use?  :idont

I don't generally use epsom, but for that particular situation I used 1 tbsp per 10 gallons to start.  They ended up at 2 tbsp per 10 gallons which helped a lot.  I've been trying to find info on it, and it seems the recommended dose varies greatly depending on who you ask.

That's a pretty large dose by comparison of the usual, but I recently saw that one of our members who requested for help from a betta forum was advised a similar dosage for dropsy. I'll have to read what differences it makes for a fish at those dosages... Very interesting. :o

I'm sorry for temporarily hijacking this post!  The variance is so wide on forums and websites, I've contacted a local piscine vet here in San Diego and hopefully will receive a reply back :)

I'm sorry for temporarily hijacking this post!  The variance is so wide on forums and websites, I've contacted a local piscine vet here in San Diego and hopefully will receive a reply back :)

Please let us know.  :D

Is it GF you were treating with 2 TBSP per 10 gallons?  :idont

Please let us know.  :D

Is it GF you were treating with 2 TBSP per 10 gallons?  :idont

Yes, orandas.

I simply recommended the standard dosage the moderators usually recommend for dropsy, because I felt that #1 the fish desperately needed to be in clean water (not from the old tank ) and #2 it needed to be in epsom the whole time, not just for a few minutes.

The gravel was like that for a while because I didn't have a hospital tank. She was getting hurt underneath her so I moved it to the side for the meantime. It's all evened out now.

Just ordered medicine to fight this and hope she gets better soon.

The Epsom salt thing I read around and pretty much wasn't clear to me so I came here due to another forum not really responsive.

Glad to know people here are willing to give me advise to help my poor phishy!

Really appreciate it!

I simply recommended the standard dosage the moderators usually recommend for dropsy, because I felt that #1 the fish desperately needed to be in clean water (not from the old tank ) and #2 it needed to be in epso,m the whole time, not just for a few minutes.

And you were right on target, Susanne :)

However, this is something that we are currently researching as new data may indicate that higher doses are beneficial for dropsy :idont

The gravel was like that for a while because I didn't have a hospital tank. She was getting hurt underneath her so I moved it to the side for the meantime. It's all evened out now.

Just ordered medicine to fight this and hope she gets better soon.

The Epsom salt thing I read around and pretty much wasn't clear to me so I came here due to another forum not really responsive.

Glad to know people here are willing to give me advise to help my poor phishy!

Really appreciate it!

With regards to the Epsom Salt, the dosage that Susanne recommended (1/2 Teapoons per 10 gallons) is a good place to start and will certainly not harm your fish.  She is also correct that a constant bath is better than a sporadic bath or dip.