Uncommon algae eater?

Kiara1125

I was wanting an algae eater for my 40gB fry tank. I have bristlenoses and nerites in my 55g so it's spotless. My problem is that I physically cannot catch the bristlenose plecos to transfer into the fry tank to clean it up and the nerites never touched the algae when I put them in there - they're already 5 years old so I can understand them being slow. Algae is everywhere and I would like an uncommon algae eater for it. I was thinking a hillstream loach or a different type of pleco. Maybe a rubberlip? I had one before, but he just up and died one day. I currently have one clown pleco and three bristlenoses.

So, basically, would a hillstream loach or a rubberlip pleco be good for my 40gB fry tank? Can you guys think of any other interesting or uncommon algae eaters? Don't worry about temperature requirements - they probably won't be met anyway. lol I don't have a filter in the tank, but the temperature is always 76-82F.

I would greatly appreciate some thoughts. Right now I'm getting some fish from my mother in May, so I'm going to be getting my male albino BN back and he will go into the 40gB. But, until then I was wanting something else because the algae is ridiculous. Besides, with such powerful filtration, I don't think it'll hurt to have two algae eaters in one tank. I mean, I have 4 plecos, 3 nerites snails, and an SAE in my 55g. All are fat and happier than ever. The BNs love the driftwood and my SAE gets pellets, algae wafers, seaweed, and fresh greens to make up for the lack of algae.

Something to think on: That massive amount of algae in the fry tank makes excellent food for growing fry. Many breeders and keepers actually encourage algae growth in their fry tanks in order to provide a constant food source between feedings. This goes for both brown and green algae. 

Another thing to consider is the fry load. If you have quite a few fry in the tank, they are going to put out a lot of waste, which will only grow as the fry do. Adding a waste-producing fish outside of the amount your fry will be putting out could be a problem, especially if the fry are small enough that they can not yet handle the filter you'd need for the algae-eater waste.

A third thing to think about: This tank will be changing a lot, since it is a fry tank. Soon enough you will need some sort of filter, and then a short time later the bioload will need to be lightened by separating fry. The entire span of time here would be about 6 months, most likely. That's a lot of change for any fish. 

Thing 4: Fry are tiny, and stay small for a while. Just because it is an algae-focused feeder, it doesn't mean a fish won't take the opportunity for a more protein-packed snack.

It's easy to just wipe off the front wall of a tank, but quite a bit more difficult to balance fry with other fish. These are just my thoughts.

As Chelsea said, algae is the normal food of fry.  Algae growing on the surface of any tank are healthy for any fish, both as nibbles and for water purification.  

I would never put another fish  into a fry tank.

All those additional fish you put in to eat algae have to be counted in your fish load.  You put them in, you reduce the number of goldfish.

No, the fry are already 3 months old and huge. They're an inch long and I have an Aqueon 55/75 onto the tank. The fry are eating the algae, but they are eating pellets as well. I LOVE using fish for algae control seeing as how I never prevent it. I don't mind seeing it - it's just that I love also seeing an algae eater have fun eating everything.

I currently only have 10 fry in the tank - that's the number that I have received after months of care for these little guys.

I apologize for not explaining before, but these fry are big enough to have a little algae eater in with them. At least I'm not the type of person t get a common pleco or a CAE for a tank ...

I'm not keeping all of them. I have another filter I can put on the tank and I'm setting up homes for the fry right now. I have a home for all the singletails and a home for two doubletails. That leaves me with my little calico doubletail (that I'm keeping) and one other doubletail.

• Supporter

All other factors aside if you get a pleco know that many are not compatible with goldfish and will attack them for slimecoat. I only know two I'd recommend and that is yhe formationed bn amd rubber lip.

I was thinking rubberlip because I haven't had one for years and they stay smaller than BNs. Also, to my knowledge and experience, rubberlips don't require driftwood. My BNs love the driftwood, but my rubberlip never seemed to munch on it.