Newbie from NE Missouri- Intro and Question

Shannan Gilbert

I have been lurking for a little while and this will be my first post. 

Married mom of 3 kids, 3 cats, 3 dogs, and now two fish.

This is not my first time keeping goldfish. I did so when I was a teen. I had a couple of black telescope eyed goldfish for 3 years. Unfortunately they met an early demise when my (then) 2 year old nephew got up in the middle of the night and "saved them form drowning" Flash forward 16 years later and I decided to keep goldfish again. I got a 20 gallon tank off of our local sale page and purchased a pearl scale and ryukin. They made it less than two weeks. They both got ich and passed on. 

So lots of research later, and I found this very informative website/forum. How those goldfish I had 16 years ago lived as long as they did then, I have no idea. I really had no idea how clueless I was about keeping goldfish until now.

Flash forward two months later. I have done a fish-less cycle, and am not much more informed on the care of goldfish. 12 days ago I purchased two new babies. A red and white Ryukin and a blue Oranda. Two days after purchase I noticed a spot on the Ryukin, so I started treating for ich. It went away the next day, but I continued to treat for ich, for fear that I would once again lose my little guys.

Today I can report that they are both looking healthy and are very active and friendly. 

I purchased an ammonia and a nitrate test kit and tested every day until I figured out that I need a water change every three days. I still test every water change to to make sure levels haven't jumped above acceptable levels.

I recently learned that our local Petco (well local-ish, it's about 70 miles away. But then again, living in the middle of nowhere Missouri, everything is at least 40 miles away) will be having a $1 per gallon sale starting on March 29th. So I will be upgrading to a 40B at the end of this month.   

I have herd a few different calculations on how many fish can be kept per gallon. I have herd, 10 gallons each, 20 gallons each, 20 for the first, and 10 for every fish after, so many gallons per inch of fish. 

So do you think with upgrading to a 40B would I be able to add one more fish without compromising the tank? (I would really like to add a ranchu) 

Welcome to Koko's!

A 40B would be a great long-term home for two fish. It would be a fine shorter-term home for 3. The general recommendation on Koko's is 15-20 gallons of water per fish, with 20 being optimal. This generally can be said regardless of if the fish are little or not, since they grow very quickly in their first couple years of life with proper care in most cases. :) Have you decided on what kind of filter you want?

I currently have two aqua-tech 20-40's on my 20g. I plan to purchase a Aqueon Quietflow 55/75 at the end of the month also. 

Thanks for letting me know about the fish per gallon. My Ranchu will just wait till I know for sure I can upgrade to a larger tank. 

Ah! So you'll have plenty of filtration. For HOBs we recommend 10x the tank's volume turnover. So the Aqua-Tech 20-40s run 160gph each, plus the Aqueon 55/75 at 400gph... There's no such thing as too much filtration. :)

Do you plan to use custom media? It would be much better than the cartridges. 

Since cartridges need to be changed out, you don't want to use them in your filter. I would suggest getting the following:

• Marineland Rite Size Filter Padding
  • ceramic biological media (I personally use Cobalt, a lot of people use BioMax though and it's great too!)

There are two videos by one of our members, Tithra, about how to add custom media to a filter and why it should be added over using cartridges. 

I use quilt batting as part of my filtration though it does get clogged quicker, it also rinses easily and keeps the QT and Tropical tanks clear. :D

Coralife makes padding similar to Marineland cut-to-fit and I believe there's a few others out there. Super easy to rinse them in a few buckets of tank water but I prefer the spray attachment of my kitchen sink.

Hi and welcome to the forum. May I suggest you get a bigger tank if you have the room? I went through a range of tanks from too small to medium to larger until finally I had a 300 litre tank made. In the long run it may be the cheapest solution and you could have more fish - just a thought  :D

Since cartridges need to be changed out, you don't want to use them in your filter. I would suggest getting the following:

• Marineland Rite Size Filter Padding
  • ceramic biological media (I personally use Cobalt, a lot of people use BioMax though and it's great too!)

There are two videos by one of our members, Tithra, about how to add custom media to a filter and why it should be added over using cartridges.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely look into this.

Hi and welcome to the forum. May I suggest you get a bigger tank if you have the room? I went through a range of tanks from too small to medium to larger until finally I had a 300 litre tank made. In the long run it may be the cheapest solution and you could have more fish - just a thought :D

Right now a 40B is the biggest tank I have room for. But thanks for the suggestion.