About 'two golf balls' of writhing mozzie larvae

Jim_D

Near my house there are some coastal rock pools. It takes me about 5-10 minutes to get this many mozzie wrigglers. The supply is inexhaustible winter or summer!

The sandstone pools are clear, very brackish as they are cleaned out by high seas and no debris collects in the net and there's no pollution as it's pristine coastline with no houses.......only wrigglers and mozzies!

There are thousands upon thousands in that ball.

When I get home I spread them out between 5 plastic lidded ice cream containers and put them into a fridge in the garage. They will live for a week in the fridge and won't turn into mozzies because of the cold temp.

Doesn't these photos just make you hungry      :yikes 

16736233430_3f870a9caa_b.jpg

16922669041_4770ab9743_b.jpg

That's ridiculous. :rofl

Mozzie is just a mosquito, and wriggler its larvae. It's Australian vernacular. ;)

Ooops sorry everyone.....I just stupidly thought everyone would call mosquitos mozzies and mosquito larvae wrigglers.

They certainly bring out the predator instinct in fish :)

LOL.  I was scratching my head over what kind of exotic Australian insect a mozzie might be.  We do refer to the larvae as wrigglers.  We use the end of the word and call mosquitos "skeeters."  

I've never seen large masses of wrigglers though.  What a great source of fish food!

I have heard 'skeeters' used quite often on U.S TV shows Sharon now that you mention that.

I just did a Google search and discovered that wrigglers have more protein than frozen bloodworms, that was surprising to me.

Wow, so many!  There aren't many around here right now so its like a royal treat for my goldie fry to get a couple of em.

I'm born and raised in Canada and people say both mozzies and skeeters as well as "those blood suckers" haha - there is a decently sized Aussie population where I'm from though so now I wonder if that's where it came from  :idont

To make it even funnier, someone who rides a bike is called a cyclist.  A "biker" rides a motorcycle, which he might call a bike.

No wonder people say english is a difficult language to learn.  Not only does american slang add to the confusion, they also have to deal with canadian, british, australian, new zealand etc slang as well.  Yikes.