Can Fenbendazole be used for worms inside Goldfish?

bagh

I tried a lot, but couldn't get a hold of only-Praziquantel medicine. All are tainted with Albendazole at the least. And we know that Albendazole is not tolerated by Goldfishes.

But I got a hold of Panacur Vet suspension, which contains Fenbendazole 250 miligrams per 1 gram of powder. Can this be used to treat goldfishes without apparent symptoms of worms? (Like some people do to new fishes before adding them to the community tank.)

I read in a forum that Fenbendazole is toxic to goldfishes, but since it isn't a textbook, I can't trust random sources of information.

Could you please suggest me if I should return the Fenbendazole or proceed to treat my new fishes before adding them to the main tank?

Thank you!

Link to the medicine: http://www.msd-animal-health.co.in/products/panacur_vet_powder/020_product_details.aspx

Yes

Is it effective against flukes?  From what I can tell it's an internal wormer . . .  I wouldn't use this as a replacement for prazi in new fish QT for flukes.  :idont

Or am I reading the wrong info?  :rofl

Yes

Is it effective against flukes? From what I can tell it's an internal wormer . . . I wouldn't use this as a replacement for prazi in new fish QT for flukes. :idont

Or am I reading the wrong info? :rofl

It is effective against flukes, and it may be even better/safer. BUT, that part is not so well-settled.

I do agree that unless there is good reason to replace Prazi, I would still with it.

Bagho, I don't have access to the dosing schedule at the moment, and I can't devote time to looking for it. Sorry.

Yes

Is it effective against flukes? From what I can tell it's an internal wormer . . . I wouldn't use this as a replacement for prazi in new fish QT for flukes. :idont

Or am I reading the wrong info? :rofl

It is effective against flukes, and it may be even better/safer. BUT, that part is not so well-settled.

I do agree that unless there is good reason to replace Prazi, I would still with it.

Bagho, I don't have access to the dosing schedule at the moment, and I can't devote time to looking for it. Sorry.

It's alright; thanks anyway! :) I'm sure I'll find it somewhere in the internet, once that you have assured it is safe to be used for Goldfishes.

The overwhelming thing I have found with it is that it needs to be fed to the fish, not used as a bath. At least that is what every forum I have searched regarding it, from Discus to Oscars and beyond, has said.

Edited by ChelseaM

Praziquantel is excellent for most parasites we come across except for Callamanus worms, which then calls for Levamisole HCL. :idont

• Supporter

The overwhelming thing I have found with it is that it needs to be fed to the fish, not used as a bath. At least that is what every forum I have searched regarding it, from Discus to Oscars and beyond, has said.

i've used it as a bath for my fish. they were ok.

I believe this is pure fenbendazole where his is 250 mg fenbendazole per 1 g of powder.

fendendazole can also be used for calamanus worms.

Is it as effective? I've heard a lot of people try fen only to have it come back and need lev :hmm

I'm terrified of them after those horror stories :hide:

i've used it as a bath for my fish. they were ok.

Maybe it is different with goldfish. 

Is it as effective? I've heard a lot of people try fen only to have it come back and need lev :hmm

:idont I've never used it myself but I've read that some people have used levi and it was ineffective then they tried fenben with great success.  :idont

Oh I lied.  I used it when Riley had giardia.  :rofl  Well, Riley used it. I gave it to her.  :lol2

• Supporter

you can substitute with either. in food, my fish did not like Levamisole. but they were fine with Fenbendazole.

I have read on one Goldfish Forum that they use Fenbendazole it to treat Goldfish ponds and mix it with a few drops of Vodka to get it to dissolve and mix with the water easily then pour the mixture into the pond and it worked to get rid of the flukes without having the fish eat it.

Otherwise,

What about Flubendazole? Can he use that? I was just reading about it on a fish forum when a persons fish didn't eat the Fenbendazole they tried Flubendazole because it is absorbed thru skin and gills when added to the water.

What I read:

"Fenbendazole and Flubendazole are very different in activity and solubility. Fenbendazole must be eaten and metabolized to make it work. Flubendazole has 3 times greater solubility. It is active absorbed through the skin and gills. It does not have to be eaten. It is easier to dose because one does not need to know how much has been eaten. One makes a concentrated solution in aquarium water and the dosing is done."

FLUBENDAZOLE 10 % Water soluble Powder treats protozoa wasting disease, serious treatment for Velvet, enternal and external parasites, half gram treats 20 gallons Gets rid of unwanted snails without killing everything else, even the MLS .......
It is the BEST Hydra treatment available.

Cat and Chelsea,

It is not true that it can only be fed. Was there any reason provided by these forums? I did not bother with forums, but used the scientific database for it, where they treated the water.

I have also treated with it in the water.

And, I think you know this already...when discussing important things, let's not go with "I've heard such and such..."  I don't mean to be disparaging (far from it), but this is how unfounded information gets disseminated like a brush fire.  Since I know you guys are super careful with your information and your fish, it would be great to see the actual information and the rationale, whatever is available.  Let's not forget that flubendazole as well as praziquantel can be used in feed and in the water. There is not immediate reason why fenbendazole cannot. That's not to say that there isn't, but if there is a reason, we need to evaluate it carefully.

Here are some abstracts...There are full lengths papers with dose responses out there. You guys should look for them. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23488766

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9491425

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10590928

• Supporter

I have read on one Goldfish Forum that they use Fenbendazole it to treat Goldfish ponds and mix it with a few drops of Vodka to get it to dissolve and mix with the water easily then pour the mixture into the pond and it worked to get rid of the flukes without having the fish eat it.

Otherwise,

What about Flubendazole? Can he use that? I was just reading about it on a fish forum when a persons fish didn't eat the Fenbendazole they tried Flubendazole because it is absorbed thru skin and gills when added to the water.

What I read:

"Fenbendazole and Flubendazole are very different in activity and solubility. Fenbendazole must be eaten and metabolized to make it work. Flubendazole has 3 times greater solubility. It is active absorbed through the skin and gills. It does not have to be eaten. It is easier to dose because one does not need to know how much has been eaten. One makes a concentrated solution in aquarium water and the dosing is done."

FLUBENDAZOLE 10 % Water soluble Powder treats protozoa wasting disease, serious treatment for Velvet, enternal and external parasites, half gram treats 20 gallons Gets rid of unwanted snails without killing everything else, even the MLS .......

It is the BEST Hydra treatment available.

i would not be considering the use of alcohol for anything fish related, no matter how little the quantity.

people with Fenbendazole requirements for treating aquaria should source the liquid, if you look hard enough, you will find it. basically, if it's available in AU, it's available everywhere.. and if you like to consider that we can use other medicines not labelled for fish, on goldfish.

for example, the bottle i purchased is for the treatment of cattle on farms. i now have a truck load of Fenbendazole which i only needed to use 5ml of. same for Levasimole, i needed 2ml of that, but i have an entire litre (less 2ml) because the manufacturer sells it for poultry farms.

Oh definitely didn't say it can't be waterborne, but Ill try to find some articles on what I mentioned. :)

Edit: okay looks like they were two posts, one was beyond old and they underdosed.. The other was the other way around which I had misread, didn't work well with Lev and Fen is what DID cure the fish, so I can certainly admit I was wrong. I have no problem going back to my original statements and deeming them incorrect, as finding out the correct information only makes the brain gain more information and avoiding the subject later on.

So, apologies on that note. :)

Edited by Chai

Alex, the main thing I read was "My fish died when I added it to the water." "Only ever add it to food" or some variant of that. Upon looking at advertisements for the product (Fish Zole and Panacur being the most popular versions), I found that the directions consistently stated to add it to food, not the water. This is where I draw my concern from.

I was able to get into the first article listed and read it. It was good to see that it didn't effect the silver perch. :)

Wasn't able to get the second article

The third article you used  stated in Methods that the parasites were grown in and tested as cultures, not on the living fish.