YEAH! finally finished my Fish-in Cycle

Hey all, I made it through my "fish-in" cycle as a newbie fish owner. I am so happy that my fish are happy healthy, and larger and strong. Coco is the calico colored Shabunkin and Cheetos my orange and white common.

Cycled.jpg

Coco%20and%20Cheetos.jpg

I thought the pH was a little low. How do I fix that??  Since my last water change last Tuesday I have had no nitrate. 

Almost a whole week and no nitrate?  Are you sure you're doing the test right?  It involves lots of shaking . . .  30 sec, then 1 min, then wait 5 min. 

You can use baking soda to raise your pH.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110296-stabilizing-your-tank-ph-with-sodium-bicarbonate-baking-soda/

What is your tap pH?  :idont

What size is your tank?

i have the API kist and have been testing using that. I shake them but not for 30 seconds. then i wait for 5 minutes using a timer. the PH had been consistently at 7.0 and 7.2 but this past week and half it has been low. I am sure I am using the kit right.  I'll check the tap PH. This is a 20 gallon tank. I'll be moving them to a 40 gallon in the next month or so. 

For nitrate, you need to shake Bottle #2 for 30 seconds before adding it to the test tube that already has the water being tested and Bottle #1 drops in it.  ONce you add it, you then shake for 1 min.  Wait 5 min then read it.  If you don't shake it the right amount of time you will not get the right results.

Your KH must be low.  You will want to read up on using baking soda and get a KH kit.  :D

Mikey, a member here on Koko's, made a good video on how to help people do the Nitrate test correctly. Even I was doing it wrong till I watched his video. ;)

Fantailfan1, thanks so much for jumping in for me. Fish of gold the video was great.

To begin with, I think I posted the readings from just after I did the water change last week which didn't show my current state. I decided to do a 50% water change since I had not done one since last tuesday evening. it was time. Up until now i have been doing 90% water changes.

I was definitely doing the nitrate test wrong. So after this evenings water change I did the nitrates the correct way and I am at 5.0 PPM. And, since my tap water is 7.6 the new water in the tank brought my PH back up to between 6.8 and 7.0. 

I can't thank all of you enough for helping me. I am new to this but I am catching on quick. I don't want my fish to suffer from me not doing the right thing. 

The good news is I have read the feed blogs have started to mixed their food. They get a mix of Tetrafin goldfish flakes that I originally purchased,  Hikari small fancy goldfish pellets and omega one medium goldfish pellets. I make sure they are not eating off the surface too. I also got some peas and gave them some yesterday. They jumped right not those LOL. I think they are happy now. They have grown to at least 3" long and that is 2X the size from when I bought them. 

Now I can sleep without worrying about my new kids for tonight ha ha.

ok, I have to look up KH. not sure what that is, or how to fix it. ill test the water again tomorrow and check back in

I have very low KH...I get my KH test on Amazon as my local chain stores in my area don't carry them. And the test is fairly easy. All you do is put one drop in shake the tube and keep doing this until the water changes from blue to yellow, counting how many times it takes... my tap KH is 3 drops( 53.7dkh)  which is very low meaning soft water. In the box of the test kit will be a piece of paper that will show you # of drops and the KH result. When you get your kit this won't seem so confusing. I add baking soda according to the list that Fantailfan1 linked you with. Goldfish do well with a KH of 100+ dkh... I know I am blabbing and you must be like what is she talking about lol but when you get your test kit, let me know and I can walk you through it as I got pretty good with keep my goldfish at the right levels... It's not that complicated it just gets some getting used to and it will be very easy at every water change.....The baking soda will also raise you PH levels and keep them there which is good. PH crashes can be deadly to fish.... Don't worry, we will make sure that won't happen to your cutie fish;)

I see your from MA me too.. I live on Cape Cod :) It's good to see MA people on here as there is not many :)

Edited by Cdionne77

Cdionne77,

I don't get the charts The guy name Alex put in the pinned message on PH. I don't understand the PPM column. Not sure what they are saying. If I am low in 6s how does that translate in tens of PPM? I tried some baking soda Mid last week and the PH shot through the roof. It was above 7.6 so I did a water change. My water from the tap is 7.6 so i am always in a good place when I do a water change. That was Friday Evening and now again today 2 days later, it is really low. I put some baking soda in again just now only I used half as much becuase I don't want to nook my fish. This is really frustrating. Do I add baking soda in every week a couple of days after I do a water change? Or is there something I am missing that I need to do to keep a natural level?

Do you have a KH test kit?  :idont

What did your pH "shoot to"?  What is your tank pH again?

If your pH is still dropping while using baking soda, you are not using enough.  You will get to a point where you figure out how much baking soda needs to be added DURING a WC to keep it stable . . . then you will only add baking soda during your WC and it will hold steady all week.  It may go above 7.6.  That is not a problem.  GF much prefer a pH closer to 8 than 6.